MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Rescued A Frightened Sun Conure

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Kurt

Kurt

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 08:37 PM

I have gotten into the habbit of browsing the local classifieds, usually hoping to spot a great deal on a bird cage. The other day I saw an ad for a sun conure with cage for a hundred bucks. I asked if I could come see him (not really wanting to adopt, just out of interest really). The poor, poor thing. The owners were very poor and lived in an aweful house, which I do not mean in any kind of judgmental way, I know that wealth has nothing to do with how good of a parent one is. But they kept this BEAUTIFUL bird in an empty cage (it had two perches covered in years of poo) with a few decrepid old toys. Luckily the cage was 36hx30wx18d so he had plenty of room.

His cage was in the entrance way, where people come and go all day, flooding him with freezing cold air. Then there were the dogs. I counted ten at least, coming and going, jumping up to the cage, barking like crazy, the birdie shivered nervously every time there was a bark. But worst of all, the food. He had no food or water bowl in his cage.

"What do you feed him?" I asked. "He loves sunflower seeds and peanuts, salted or unsalted it doesn't matter." I nearly died! They had been feeding him cooked, salted, fatty peanuts. And they had him for three years.

Needless to say, I paid the bill and got the poor thing out of there as soon as I could. On one hand, I can't blame them for their ignorance, because they were not maliciously trying to hurt it, they just had no business owning a bird. On the other hand, if they can take such good care of their dogs (which they bred and took great pride in), then shame on them for not even trying to learn how to care for an exotic bird. They thought it was funny that when they put their hands up to the cage, he snapped and screamed at them.

Also needless to say, the nutrient-starved bird had no problem at all switching to pellets. He munched for about an hour straight once I got him home. Luckily he likes the purple and orange pellets, which my quaker always picks over lol. I keep them in separate cages of course. The conure acts like he has never seen another bird before.

I thought I was getting into a long-term damaged-bird commitment, which I was prepared for, because I fell in love with the poor thing. I talked to him the whole ride home (I had him in a carrier cage in the passenger seat with me). I got him home, he was very calm, so I opened his cage, talking to him calmly. I held up a finger to see how well he would react.

He scared me to death! I thought he was about to bite my finger off. He lunged out of his cage, latched onto my hand (not biting, just grabbing), ran up my arm, and tucked his head into my shoulder and started "cooing". I just knew he was trying to hug me tightly and say "thank you" for rescuing him!!!! The sweet thing made me cry =)

We were immediately best friends. He groomed my hair, nibbled my ears, and when I went to wash a cup after having a drink, he climbed down my arm to take a bath in the sink! Who would have thought that a neglected cage bird would warm up to someone so quickly?

My boyfriend is taking care of him now, and they get along equally as well. He is the sweetest, most social bird. You would never know he came from such a stressful home. It breaks my heart to imagine all the other sweety birds out there who are in situations like the one he came from, just waiting for someone to love.

I have this forum to thank; reading stories of y'all's rescues has converted me into a rescuer, and now I, too, can experience the joy and love of a rescued fid.

#2 Kurt

Kurt

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 09:11 PM

Here is a picture, he is such a beauty!

Attached File  Sun Conure.jpg   35.92KB   9 downloads

#3 CosmoKramer04

CosmoKramer04

Adv Member

• Members
  • 674 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 10:37 PM

So beautiful! Thats awesome yuo were able to go save that poor little guy! Did you give his cage a good cleaning?

#4 Simiesmom

Simiesmom

Adv Member

• Members
  • 475 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 10:56 PM

Thank you for rescuing him! Poor baby. But they are so smart, he knows what you did. I would vet him asap. You have a little love for life now!

#5 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 06:51 AM

Awwww! Of course he knows you rescued him, poor baby! Goodness knows when he had a bath last or any loving. No wonder he latched onto you like that. What's his name?

#6 Majj

Majj

Marion aka Majj

• Members
  • 13,109 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 07:08 AM

What a wonderful thing for you to do , lucky little fid .....I am sure once he and your Quaker get use to each other they will be good company for each other (watching from their own cages and listening to each other) , do get him vet checked and so your Quaker doesn`t have his beak out of joint you should always speak and give treats and get your Quaker out first that way he won`t feel threatened or jealous of the new little guy ....
Congratulations two fids twice as much fun ... :wub:

#7 Sandi Kiwis Mom

Sandi Kiwis Mom

"Love Me...Love My Fids!!!!

• Forum Manager
  • 20,884 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 11:11 AM

Thank you for rescuing that poor little bird. Are you quarantining him? We want more pictures...lol

#8 Quincy's Slave

Quincy's Slave

Adv Member

• Members
  • 7,715 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 12:13 PM

I wish I could give you a big HUG!!!! Thank you for rescuing this poor little baby!! Of course he knew he had hit the jack pot when you met him :wub: :wub:

As Sandi said, please quarantine him from your other birds, and under the circumstances if you can, a trip to the vet would be a good idea!

#9 loriwoo

loriwoo

Adv Member

• Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 06:34 PM

Your story actually brought me to tears,,,as I sit here with my rescued QP on his cage watching me with my GCC on my shoulder snuggled into my hair,,
I think how lucky your new sun is (oh gad he is BEAUTIFUL TOO!) and how lucky YOU are,, I think suns are the most beautiful birds in the whole world, and I am so glad you rescued him..

Yes, what is his name?
Updates please!
Lori

#10 Kurt

Kurt

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 07:01 PM

Thanks for the support! His name is Leo (or Draco, not sure yet). I can't tell if he is more lion-like or dragon-like yet lol. The name he was called was "Jerry," but being a German major, I found that name offensive Posted Image

I actually got my boyfriend to take care of him. He has an Indian Ringneck and used to have a green-cheek for many years, so he has lots of experience with conures. It took him no time at all to be just as loving with my bf as he was with me. He is so unbelievable loving!

Yes I put his whole cage in the shower and turned on the scolding hot water for about 15 minutes (I had him on my shoulder, not still in the cage of course Posted Image) then I got some Green Works natural cleaner and scrubbed and polished it, good as new.

You all mentioned a visit to the vet... My bf wanted to take him, but I was wondering, with no physical signs of distress and with him acting perfectly normal, is a check up going to really tell us anything that we can't already know for ourselves? I mean, without spending hundreds on organ biopsies and blood tests. There is only one vet around here (rural North Mississippi) who is certified to treat birds, but I don't want to pay him a hundred bucks or so for him to say "looks fine to me, bring him in if he starts acting odd." I'm still a new parront, so I don't really know what all a check-up involves.

I'll post some more photos as soon as I get them uploaded!

#11 Kurt

Kurt

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 07:31 PM

The one where he is all wet is when he jumped into the sink (don't worry, it was just water, no soap or chemicals) the other one is him snogging my bf lol

Attached Files

#12 msdani1981

msdani1981

Love My Pets :)

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 08:44 PM

OMG, he's sooooo adorable! Congratulations!

I think a vet check would be a good idea, they will take a blood sample (about $150 at my vet, for the workup) and weigh him. This will be beneficial, especially since his diet was not very good, the blood workup will tell you if he is deficient in any vitamins (Vitamin A is a big one, bring on the dark leafy greens, and orange veggies! Also Vitamin C - broccoli, scrambled egg w/shells, and cuttle bone will bring that up to snuff).

I know you'll enjoy each other for years to come!! Have fun! :)

#13 Quakerlove

Quakerlove

Quakerlove

• Members
  • 406 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 10:48 AM

He's beautiful. Thanks for rescuing this little guy!

#14 NCVon

NCVon

Slave of FIDs

• Members
  • 4,010 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 12:51 AM

I have tears in my eyes from reading your story....thank you, thank you, thank you! For being that little guys angel on earth and taking him out of he**. Poor thing! Its amazing that he is so friendly after the life he was dealt with. How wonderful that you decided to answer that ad and are able to give him the home and love he deserves.

#15 QTQP4me

QTQP4me

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 09:07 PM

good for you to open your home and heart to a creature who certainly was in need. he looks no worse for wear from what i can tell - he looks to be in pretty good feather. i'll bet he sleeps a lot better soon, once he's sure he's safe.

a vet visit is definitely in order, as the stress of a move can trigger an underlying cause to rear its ugly head. it sounds like quarantine wasn't done, so at this point we can hope leo/draco/jerry is healthy and not a carrier of some bug. should you find yourself rescuing another, definitely quarantine :)

suns are so beautiful Posted Image congrats on your new addition!

kris

#16 angelicvampyre

angelicvampyre

Adv Member

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 09:36 PM

nice story and thanks for getting him out of the situation. I would go to the vet a quick blood test and a poop smear will make sure he has nothing nasty hiding, birds as good at hidig their illness.

#17 equineRtist

equineRtist

equineRtist

• Members
  • 4,375 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 11:02 AM

You will certainly be blessed for taking care of the beautful bird when he needed you. I don't believe in coincidence. I believe it was meant for you to go there. You and the bird are both blesssed because you went.
I'm so glad when I know the fids are happy.
I have a Sun and feel it was no accident that he literally flew into my yard and landed right beside me. I tried everything to find his owner, but feel, after much effort that I probably wasn't meant to find them. He's still here 9 years later.

#18 Cheekys mum

Cheekys mum

Adv Member

• Members
  • 6,032 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 06:36 PM

Ohhh what a lovely story to read so heart warming!
Bless you Im so so glad ge got YOU!! Im so glad yall
went over there too!! Ive got a sun and they are such
fellas. leo sure got Blessed big time by yall! Posted Image

#19 Esther C

Esther C

Scampy1kat

• Members
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 06:42 PM

I too am crying. You are so kind to save him from that horrible place. He will think he has died and gone to heaven. Sounds like he loved you guys too right from the first. He is so beautiful. Give him a neck rub for me and a kiss.

#20 Critter Momma

Critter Momma

Adv Member

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 08:49 PM

OMG! Poor thing must be awful grateful for your rescue.