MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Rescued A Frightened Sun Conure

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 conrad

conrad

Adv Member

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 03:27 PM

Awe he is adorable thankyou for rescueing the little guy he sounds like he loves you:wub:

#22 moonchild1970

moonchild1970

Verde's Slave

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 02:32 AM

All I can say is God Bless You! I'm sure your new Sun would say so too! :D

#23 Kurt

Kurt

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 01:39 AM

Hey! An update on the Sun Conure...
We decided to name him Draco since he looks fiery like a dragon Posted Image He is still a bit skiddish! He doesn't like being petted; he won't bite or anything, he just attempts to fly away. After a few reassuring talks, he will hold down his head for me to pet him for a few seconds before making a jump to my shoulder.

He is so quiet! I heard conures could be VERY loud birds, but the only peep he ever makes is when he is surprised. He never calls for me, and only occasionally makes a calm, soft noise when he sees me come home and gets excited about coming out to see me. HOWEVER, he uses the bells on his hanging toys to communicate most of the time. For some reason, he HATES one of my roommates, who doesn't care for him either (I guess Draco knows this, so he is picking on my roomy lol). Draco could be covered up for the night, and if he hears my roomy whispering to me from the doorway, Draco will start shaking his toys and making a weak, high-pitched squawk, but mostly just thrashes his toys. He also rings his bells when I walk in or out of the room and he wants to be noticed, or if there is no more grape or orange zupreme left in his dish (yes, very picky!).

He has gotten into the routine now; a few millet seeds for good-morning-treat, I come home after school, he goes to the play gym and gets a peanut for afternoon-treat, then on my shoulder for an hour or two after I have dinner... Its our personal chit chat time, but I am the only one chatting, he is too busy nibbling my shirt or just sitting there watching TV with me. He is very comfortable with me handling him now and even lets me take him to the sink where he is starting to dunk his head in the warm water out of the tap (still too cautious for the full-bath experience though).

I know conures aren't known for their speaking like quakers are, but I would have guessed that by now he would be at least mimicking sounds that I say like 20 times a day, like "good morning" and "good night!" and "hey buddy!" but he only makes the three sounds: loud squawk when startled, angry squawk when he hears the roomy, and the same repeated soft chit-chat noise. Maybe he is just a quiet bird? Maybe he still needs more time to get to know me?

He loves my quaker, Frodo. Frodo is a bully to my bf's Indian Ringneck, he will chase her nonstop, but for some reason he is best buddies with Draco. Maybe it is the similar body structure, because it sure isn't a color similarity! Ha the Ringneck is the same color green as the quaker, maybe he just hates green-impostors lol.

I guess that is it! He is calm, loving, playful, and oh, he loves to chew stuff... His favorite are cheap plastic toys that he can chew to bits, and wood toys with small pieces that are easier to demolish than the big hefty blocks. But better to buy a toy than have my finger be the chewing post!

I love him. Draco is the perfect bird for me and a great friend for my Frodo. Thanks all for the comments and tips, I'll keep updating on him!

#24 loriwoo

loriwoo

Adv Member

• Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 07:20 PM

thanks for the update, he sounds perfect, you are a really good bird person to do all this and have him coming along so well. I admire you, and I envy you the lovely sun you have now!
lori

#25 moonchild1970

moonchild1970

Verde's Slave

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 04:17 AM

Glad to hear things are going so well. Except for the roomy. Could he have done something to scare your new Sun?

I used to have a Sun Conure too. She could talk and say some things. But her voice was very gravelly and hard to understand.

More often that words, though she repeated sounds. For instance- She had a drinking noise she would make if she saw anyone drinking anything. Posted Image

Edited by moonchild1970, 16 March 2010 - 04:18 AM.