MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Richter Update Help Me

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Richter's mommy

Richter's mommy

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 08:20 PM

Posted Image I cannot stop these air blisters from reappearing. All in all, Richter does seem to be fairing well. He cannot walk well at all, it is a real challenge and struggle for him. I left his cage door open and he perched on the door frame....THEN FELL...Posted Image I was so frightened. I scooped him up and loved on him and then let him sit on my shoulder for a while. Then he tried to climb around and fell againPosted Image Posted Image . I was beside myself at that point because when he hit the carpet his head was bent sideways. He could have broken his neck.

I need ideas on how to make Richters life more exciting than a cage. He cannot perch high, he can barely walk, and I know he longs to do more.
I have given him several toys to play with and he does somewhat, but not much.

Since he plucks and I turn down the heat at night, he sleeps in my nightstand drawerPosted Image . I have a heating pad on all night tucked between the thick folds of a cotton blanket. It never gets too hot and it keeps him warm.

I give him an albuterol treatment before closing his drawer and he likes being there. He squawks for me to take him upstairs at night. After tucked in the nightstand drawer he quiets down and goes to sleep. Bless his little FID heartPosted Image

I took him out today in the sunshine but he wanted to be close to me. I suppose it may have been big and scary when you cannot walk, run or fly. I guess I thought he would like the sunshine and outdoors.

Since he was found in a basement with a foot of water, I thought it would be a treat.

I love Richter VERY MUCH. If you have any ideas of how to make his life more pleasureable please help. He is a handicapped little bird and that makes it rough.

#2 Glowbird

Glowbird

Adv Member

• Members
  • 956 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 08:32 PM

I don't have any experience with handicapped birds, but I wish you the best of luck. Poor baby!

#3 jaytee

jaytee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 4,380 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 01:56 PM

I would definitely start with flat perches. They come in many shapes and sizes. They could be arranged in the cage so he has a kind of board walk. 1 or 2 could be placed outside, under the door as a patio. Think in a similar direction for play stands.

Because of his foot problem, I would not suggest full flight, but a milder clip so he can flutter down, rather than fall.

He sleeps in the night stand drawer. How cute! Pics please :D

What does the Doc say about the blisters?

#4 Andie's Mom

Andie's Mom

Adv Member

• Members
  • 12,839 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 03:55 PM

Jaytee is on the right page with the flat perches. They have several kinds available or you can make them yourself out of 1 x 2" strips of wood or even 2" x 4" and just put a hanger bolt in them with a wing nut and put them through out the cage.

As far as the "blisters" are concerned you're talking about the ones near his wings? I believe it was determined that he has air saculitis ...is that correct. If that is in fact the case. those blisters are probably little pockets of air that leak out of the air sacks in his chest just about where his wing connects to his body. Many birds have air sacs rupture and they live long lives. Most of the time its the one near the neck so it looks like they have big turmors on their necks when the pocket fills and it usually happens when the bird gets excited or nervous they will eventually drain out and look normal again until next episode. There isn't anything that you can to do prevent that from happening. As long as the bird doesn't act like he's in pain from it, its more bothersome to you than it is to him.

Have your vet keep track of him as far as the "blisters" are concerned...you might keep track and document when he has them where, and for how long they stay, so you can see if there's a pattern to it... And then maybe you can start going through a process of elimination and see if you can figure out what triggers it.

But I would definitely work on the wider perches and see how he does.

#5 moonchild1970

moonchild1970

Verde's Slave

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 12:39 AM

Oh dear. I am so sorry to hear this. I hope that your vet is able to help you and also to manage your poor babies pain.

#6 sjs

sjs

Adv Member

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 02:15 PM

A couple of thoughts - the flat perches are a good idea, along with the patio at the entrance to his cage. You might want to totally rethink his cage. If he can't use his claws to climb, maybe he would do better in a box type of thing, with little bird feet size steps. Always have things he can lean on; it will keep some weight off his little feet. Has he shown any interest in a cozy hut type thing? You are doing a great job trying to figure out how to meed his special needs!

I really want to see a picture of him in his sleeping drawer!

~Sandee~

#7 Richter's mommy

Richter's mommy

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 05:59 PM

Thank you all for your kind replies. I will take a picture of Richter in his drawer for you to see. He really likes it there at night and sleeps very quietly. Right now his air bubble on the right side is huge. Yes it does go down but no, I do not know what makes it inflate again.Posted Image

He gets a breathing treatment at night and again in the morning. I was diagnosed asthmatic so I have albuterol on hand. I can split one vial and use one a day to help with the wheezing and breathing issues. I have heard that they can seal these air sac bubbles. Has anyone ever heard of that?

I am going to move his cage to a duel level ferret nation cage. It is large and longer and will give him more room to move around. I could try a pillow under his perch in case he falls. He really longs to be up on the high perch but I don't allow it. I let him sit up there once and he fell. He has had about 4 falls since he has been here. Posted Image I know but it has been a learning experience for us both.

I have taken him to my local vet and she has helped with Cipro. A better vet is over an hour away. Perhaps I need to go there so I can learn more.

I will work on flat perches when I get the ferret nation cage set up. He needs something more than a life on a 1.5' X1.5' flat space. I cannot hold him all the time although he would definately prefer it. Posted Image He really is sweet. Together we are learning about each other and we have very successfully bonded. I really think he would have bonded with anyone who showed him kindness but I am glad it was me.

I love having him sleep next to me in the drawer. Although if something happened to me, I am not sure if anyone would look in the drawer. Perhaps I should post a little note on the nightstand just in case, so he is not left behind.Posted Image

In three weeks I go to Nashville and pick up a baby Galah which is my preferred bird. I will never quit loving my Quaker named Richter or my GC conure named Christian.
I am however---very excited about getting my baby Galah.

Thank you for all your help if you know of anything else, let me know. He is not that fond of toys. But he loves peas....he would eat peas until he exploded I think.

#8 jaytee

jaytee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 4,380 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 12:29 AM

Thanks for the update. We're all praying for the little guy. Congrats on your new fid to be.

You said the new cage is multilevel. Most of us use ropes and ladders. I suggest some sort of ramp. Like Connie mentioned, 1x2, 2x4,..... looking forward to seeing Richter!!!

Your an Angel for all your doing. :)

#9 Carls

Carls

Adv Member

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 04:47 AM

Oh gosh, you are going to so LOVE having a galah! :D

It is amazing what you are doing for Richter. It's so great to know there are so many people out there who really love these special treasures. :wub:

#10 LuvMyHarley1

LuvMyHarley1

Harley's Mom Julie

• Members
  • 12,565 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 07:45 AM

Wishing you all the best and hoping little Richter will get better in handling his disability...how unfortunate, but hey, it sounds like he is having a blast except when he falls....and if I were you, I'd drive that 1 hour away to the other vet to see what more you may can find out...

And looking for a picture of Richter in the night stand drawer.... :)

#11 fidsmom

fidsmom

ADV member

• Members
  • 325 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 08:01 AM

How is Richter doing these days? Would like to know.

#12 me and izzy

me and izzy

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 07:05 AM

I had a similar problem with my QP he had his feet bitten almost off when I got him, especially on one foot. I got narrow shelves (about 3-4 inches wide) from the container store. THe ones that are like a grid and they have an attachment on the side that I suppose you hang them from, but a bolt and round will attach them to cage. I laced leather strips in the grid and used them as ladders (at a small slopes all in the cage) put a level ones at different points. used a grapevine wreath that was probably about 8 inches ( woven with craft sticks in the middle for support_ and hung in corner at the end of level grid. I used a material similar to lambs wool cutting a circle and placed on top of wreath. I put several of these at different places. the bottm grid for the cage was also the same, but had to wire two (they were wider than the ladders)together to fit cage. used alot of shredded paper and some lacing of leather also. It took some time for him to get used to it all, but worked very well. sorry I am not very good with instructions, but if you have any questions. please let me know and I will try to explain a little better.

#13 ~Crystal and Bammie~

~Crystal and Bammie~

Adv Member

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 01:24 PM

aww poor baby!!! I think you are really wonderful taking the time and effort on making him happy and relaxed!!hope he feel's better soon and please give a update every now and then because I would really love to hear how he's doing!!Posted Image Good luck to both of you!

Edited by ~Crystal and Bammie~, 02 July 2010 - 01:24 PM.