MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.com

and register there to participate in our community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Enter Hank, The Newest Member Of My Family

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#21 Iain

Iain

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 02:46 PM

Hi Kevin:

Be careful. if allowed, he will deprive you of the wax endings that go on the shoelaces. Good luck getting them through the holes after he's done that.

With regard to sticking his head in the shoe, he loves to hear himself so if he can put his head somewhere where it will echo when he makes a sound, he'll be in heaven and he'll make noises over and over and over and over again.

Also, please let Rita know that I use to fill a dish like the one below with water and leave it on the counter. Hank would eventually make his way over, stick his foot in, test the water and then would eventually get in for a bath.

His last owner used a mist so he might not remember the dish but it might be worth a try.

Have a great weekend and thanks again for everything.

Posted Image
Iain

#22 KittyKitty

KittyKitty

Adv Member

• Members
  • 768 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 03:33 PM

OOPS! I forgot to mention... We managed to get Hank to play with foot toys! Chula has 2 toys that are cylindrical cages with a bell stuck inside - she likes to shake and toss them. Frequently the boy toy AJ uses those to get her interested in hard core play time by shaking them and making her chase his hand while he shakes them.

I had one and was shaking it for Chula - then giving it to her for her to shake and toss.

Hank was interested in this game! Kevin followed my lead with Hank and he took the toy when offered, banged it on the perch a few times then dropped it. Afterward he nodded his head with satisfaction of a job well done! Kevin picked it up again and started the game over again, and again. Hank had fun! We were so proud of him, and praised him in between bouts of play.

I hope we are getting Hank out of his shy shell and into a more playful two-year old mode; he needs to build up some muscles because we still think he is way too thin! :wub:

Hi Kevin:

Be careful. if allowed, he will deprive you of the wax endings that go on the shoelaces. Good luck getting them through the holes after he's done that.

With regard to sticking his head in the shoe, he loves to hear himself so if he can put his head somewhere where it will echo when he makes a sound, he'll be in heaven and he'll make noises over and over and over and over again.

Also, please let Rita know that I use to fill a dish like the one below with water and leave it on the counter. Hank would eventually make his way over, stick his foot in, test the water and then would eventually get in for a bath.

His last owner used a mist so he might not remember the dish but it might be worth a try.

Have a great weekend and thanks again for everything.

Iain

Aha! We have a couple of those - in different sizes! Doesn't he slip? I may have to put a paper towel at the bottom for grippage.... Otherwise, he may be turned off to a bath if he slips and falls. :D

#23 Iain

Iain

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 04:08 PM

Hi Rita:

He doesn't slip as he is very cautious. Don't expect it to be a quick process. He sticks a toe in, puls it out and then runs around the rim of the dish. Then stick his toe in again to test the temp. it takes him forever to get in but when he does, he loves it. You might want to cover the entire area with towels or something because when he starts, everything within a 5 foot radius gets soaked.

Iain

#24 KittyKitty

KittyKitty

Adv Member

• Members
  • 768 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 12:25 PM

Pfft! I am sure he cannot be any worse than the Diva! She makes so much noise and splashes so much, it's disappointing to see that she doesn't really get her back wet! She should come out soaked, but only really has a good time splashing us!

At least my counter and my mirrors manage to stay clean, since I have to wipe everything down once she is finished.

He watched her bathe this morning - I am hoping he decides to join the fun. He did get splashed.

I posted to facebook again this morning.... Hank on the shower perch - sorry we didn't know we would be adopting a boy, and purchased a pink perch for Chula. I have a new green perch ready to go up for Hank. Have to make sure we treat each FID equally! And he stole a cotton pad and was destroying it on Kevins side of the counter. He wouldn't let me get a clean shot, so the pic is blurry.

#25 KevKaos

KevKaos

Adv Member

• Members
  • 327 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 01:04 PM

Posted Image
Iain

AHHHHHH Yes. Our old friend Mr. Pyrex. Hmmmmmm. I'm thinking, a nice flea market purchase and some of that non slip tape like they put in showers. Could be just the trick.

Edited by KevKaos, 16 July 2010 - 01:05 PM.

#26 KittyKitty

KittyKitty

Adv Member

• Members
  • 768 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 05:21 AM

Well, Hank has started to show out! Now we see the bad birdie parts.

MOM WAS BITTEN THIS WEEKEND!

So was AJ - the boy toy.

But first - the lead up. We managed to get Hank to really enjoy playing with AJ. I had to post to Facebook for Iain to see, since I cannot post vids to QuakerForum. They were having a blast - AJ really wants Hank to open up to him, and Hank is trying to figure this new human out, because the things this new guy does with bells and toys is cool!

I think Hank was tired, AJ put him in his cage and later - he didn't want to come out! I picked up a shreddy toy - and was putting it in his cage for his future adventures, and he jumped out of his sleepy hut like one of those killer eels and bit my finger! HARD!:excl:

Since he already had hold of me, I just scooped him up and pulled him out of the cage. We had a "No Bite the Mamma" session - and then I handed him to AJ while I washed the blood from my finger. Not a lot - but there was some. He hung out with AJ while I finished setting up the toys.

Hank bit AJ once he was put back into the cage. Before he could get his hand out. Only AJ is bird savvy and pinned Hanks head down until he chilled out. AJ is 13 and quite the "Dr. Doolittle".

Hank stayed in his cage until Kevin came home from his ride. Then we reported to Daddy and Kevin started to work on the cage aggression. He has been a handful this weekend - and right now, when he should be on my shoulder while I check weather and the AM news, he is still asleep in his cage. I think he is changing his schedule.

Cannot attach a picture! So I posted to facebook...

http://www.facebook....43&l=8dee701c5e

The pic was less than size restrictions. :(

Edited by KittyKitty, 19 July 2010 - 05:28 AM.

#27 KittyKitty

KittyKitty

Adv Member

• Members
  • 768 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 02:51 PM

Okay, so I vented... I showed that Hank has a Dark Side! Now I have to go back and put in the sweetness and light. Last night, Hank was sitting on Kevins shoulder with his head pressed into Kevins relaxed hand, while Kevin pet his head with his other hand. Hank's eyes were closed, he was fluffed and PURRING!!!! I have it on video and will be posting it to Facebook! I didn't know they could purr!

I know about zerberts, and I know about the growly thing they do, but actual purrs was the topper.

He won't purr for me, but only Kevin. I was bit, and Kev get's the purr. HOW IS THIS FAIR????? Momma's need love too!

<_<

#28 KittyKitty

KittyKitty

Adv Member

• Members
  • 768 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 06:26 PM

Hank in bed. We purchased a new one.

http://www.facebook....96&id=564215043

I had to post pics on facebook!

Edited by KittyKitty, 19 July 2010 - 06:34 PM.

#29 jaytee

jaytee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 4,380 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 06:42 PM

Wow! Love the Shredding toy! :lol: Isn't that the truth? :o

#30 KittyKitty

KittyKitty

Adv Member

• Members
  • 768 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 08:18 AM

That is the toy that got me bit! :unsure: He does like to attack it - and I am trying to encourage his play instinct with shredding.

#31 KittyKitty

KittyKitty

Adv Member

• Members
  • 768 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 07:19 PM

I don't know what he did, but Hank was in trouble with Kev and I heard "Henry Aloisius Fink what has gotten into you?" :blink:

Oh wait, it was followed by "You sir, have defecated on me!" :rolleyes:

Yes, I laughed in a very loud and unladylike manner! Chula joined me.

So, Hank is now named Henry Aloisius Fink - he he he!:lol:

#32 KittyKitty

KittyKitty

Adv Member

• Members
  • 768 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 12:33 PM

Peace, Love and Harmony!

So, Hank and I have made friends again. We are back to our regular morning routine of sharing coffee and a little breakfast before anyone else wakes up. :wub:

I ignored him for a couple of mornings after the bite - and he decided that he wouldn't bite me anymore. He was visibly peeking out at me from the front of the cage - all the way at the bottom where the cover doesn't go down; First day, I said he would have to wait for Daddy. Second day, I uncovered him and when he banged his beak on the cage, I walked away and said wait for daddy. Third day, he was still and fluffy waiting for me on his happy perch with no aggressive behavior. His happy little foot dance was an indicator that he was happy I gave him another chance. I now open the cage, tell him to step up and he runs to the front of the cage and Steps Up. Then we go and get Momma her coffee and Hank his Nom Noms and we sit at the table and do a little bonding. All is good in our world. He hangs out with me during my AM routine - feeding dogs, giving the German Shepard her Allergy meds and some lite laundry or dishwasher moves.

Hanging on my shoulder and chillin. :P

I take him upstairs, we wake up daddy - then I wake up Chula.

I will not play or arrange toys while he is in there ( I shall show respect for the cage) - but I will not tolerate biting of the Momma. He becomes "Bird-sonna non-grata!" :angry:

#33 KevKaos

KevKaos

Adv Member

• Members
  • 327 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 03:13 PM

We are back to our regular morning routine of sharing coffee and a little breakfast before anyone else wakes up. Posted Image

You may want to clarify that the birdies do not ever get coffee (except for when Chula sneaks a sip).

#34 KittyKitty

KittyKitty

Adv Member

• Members
  • 768 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 10:35 AM

Hank took a bath on Friday! It was a "blink and you'll miss it" bath; but a bath nonetheless! In his water dish - so I need to address that by introducing him to a bath on the counter theory instead. He hasn't shown any interest in baths, until this Friday.

Chula took a bath on the bathroom counter (in her tub) this morning and Hank watched. Sounds strange, but I though bathing was a communal thing with birds? Unfortunately, his cage door is narrow, so I can't put a tub in the bottom of his cage for his bath. It will go in, but won't be able to come out. He is most comfortable in his cage - so I don't know if a counter bath will EVER work. This guy is pretty stern about his likes and dislikes.

The toy thing is working out better - since he is a fan of shoelaces, I picked up a container of bird toys (in an appropriate size) and laced the different toys up to shoelaces: With a bell on the end. Hank is quite good at pulling the shoelace up and alternating between beak and foot to pull the end up so he can play with the toys and the tip of the shoelace (a skill Chula does NOT have yet), and he also takes the shoelace from Chula (he is perched on the boing higher than she) and pulls it up to himself. Makes her very angry! But oh well, that's what siblings do, right? he he he he.

We have discovered a couple of new things about Hank:

He loves lettuce! Absolute dedication to lettuce, a little bigger than his love of french fries. He climbed up on Kevins arm and stole the lettuce right out of Kevins hamburger!

He is not a fan of grape soda (can you hear Chula's joy?).

He mumbles into Kevins ear. We can't tell what he is saying, but obviously he expects Kevin, and only Kevin, to enjoy his conversation.

He and Kevin have a new game, Kevin blasts Hank with a puff of air and Hank attacks his collar (polo shirt). They go on and on forever!

I know there is other stuff that I am forgetting... Maybe Kevin will take up the slack and post some more!

#35 KittyKitty

KittyKitty

Adv Member

• Members
  • 768 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 01:51 PM

You may want to clarify that the birdies do not ever get coffee (except for when Chula sneaks a sip).

Like she did again this morning. Made a slurpee sound and all! She is an addict.

Takes after her mom!:rolleyes:

#36 KittyKitty

KittyKitty

Adv Member

• Members
  • 768 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 03:24 PM

Here I go again. Hank's progress.

Last night I discovered that Hank loves Blueberry yogurt. I always share with Chula, so we decided to introduce Hank. He was definitely impressed. And we experienced a whole new level of Bird closeness! They were both content eating yogurt from the same spoon. Almost bopping foreheads.

But before that - Hank was a little territorial last night - I tried to get him to come out to dinner "his way" and he decided to go on the attack. I closed up his cage and we had dinner without him. Once he realized what was going on - he started to "flock" call for me - I didn't go and get him, we had already sat down to dinner. I just prepared his NOM NOM bowl with some couscous and mixed veggies (heavy on the corn) and put it in his cage once dinner was over. He plays nice, or not at all.

Kevin came home and he was a new bird. But, I guess that is the breaks when he loves Daddy more than Mommy.

AJ had him out for some shoelace toy time, and just hanging out watching TV. He is busy little bird.

He is doing more head gesticulations, and he is still mumbling something that we can't understand. But he is very happy little camper and I am very glad he is part of our family.

#37 KittyKitty

KittyKitty

Adv Member

• Members
  • 768 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 11:57 AM

So, now Hank bathes in his cage. I left the container previously mentioned in his cage every day all weekend. He has taken a daily bath. Hurray! He no longer bathes in his water bowl - so that makes me happy - and he ends up soaking wet.

I found a small pyrex dish matching the dish that Iain posted earlier, and Hand didn't like it. But Chula sure did. She hot stepped right into it and made a JOLLY MESS! Hank was not amused.

I am just curious why when Chula bathes, she looks a little wet (but she is soaking) and her feathers are still bright green and she looks fluffy; but when Hank bathes, he lookes like a wet chicken and his feathers get very dark - looking almost brown and they stick to his body. I know he has a lot of blue in him, but am wondering why he always looks a little rough, and when he bathes his feathers don't bead up the water, they absorb the water.

He will not let me preen him, we have a rough time with that. I can't really get him to relax and let me even fluff his feathers against the grain, like Chula likes. But, Kevin can fluff him, unfortunately, Kevin has no preening skills. I don't think Hank realizes that Mom has some mad skills, and he would feel and look soooo much better if he would just give me 10 minutes a day of preening time. Oh, heck, just 5 minutes would be a HUGE improvement!

I am a little OCD about things ( I think I get that from the Quakers) and I need to fix little imperfections - Chula is fine with me going in and getting that quill or the stray cowlick feather from her head or wing - I need Hank to cooperate just 1/4 of the time and I would feel like a successful and loved Momma!

Hank is giving Kevin a hard time coming out of the cage - he quickly retreats to the back perches or into his sleepy hut - cursing up a storm. He has bitten Kevin two times when Kevin reached into the cage. This weekend Hank has been testing his limits with Kevin. On the flip side - Hank and I are fine, he steps up when I ask, mumbles when I sing or baby talk him, and this morning; Mommy got Hank kisses all over the right side of my face - and he didn't try to pick at my beauty mark or pluck my hair like Chula does.

He is also playing with some of his toys - one rattles - the other is shiny metal pieces that reflect light - he will toss them around and try to bite them quietly. No out loud noises like Chula - but he is playing! He must really be comfy in his spaces now!

#38 KittyKitty

KittyKitty

Adv Member

• Members
  • 768 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 08:59 PM

Finally got picture that will post!

Here are the babies, Hank is higher up.

Hank was on the boing playing with a shoelace I strung a plastic binky and a bell on. He is enjoying toys much more, and is enjoying sit on his boing and ring the ever loving daylights out of the bell!

Attached Files

#39 KittyKitty

KittyKitty

Adv Member

• Members
  • 768 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 09:16 PM

This was funny! Kevin can put Hank in his hand and lay him on his back for a Tummy rub. :rolleyes:

Attached Files

#40 Iain

Iain

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 09:38 PM

Great pictures. Thank you.