MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Enter Hank, The Newest Member Of My Family

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#1 KittyKitty

KittyKitty

Adv Member

• Members
  • 768 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 07:28 AM

Attached File  HANK -.png   1.5MB   14 downloads

Hank came home yesterday! I was not easy, I know JB was having a difficult time and it hurt us to be the unlucky people to have to take Hank. I am sure JB was probably hoping for RED FLAGS to disqualify us from adopting the little guy, just so he could have him around longer.

We are learning all about Hank, he is a lover and a clown. He likes to leap from shoulder to shoulder or from table to chairback. He was very quiet yesterday. I did get some sounds and a couple of squawks - but it was a single squawk at a time. He gravitated toward Kevin, and that is understandable. I worked on setting up the cage, and putting in a new thicker boing (to benefit the feet) and a boing perch thing to give him more walking room. The cage is really large so he has an opportunity for a very exciting cage! I am just the Momma to give it to him!

We let him explore the cage setup, and he seemed okay with it, and then he let me reach in and get him a couple of times. He is cage aggressive - but I guess since this is a bit confusing, he didn't think of being cage aggressive YET! I am hoping, that maybe the new house, new cage setup will help us get over some of his cage aggression.

Last night, we finished the evening with some natural vanilla ice cream and an early bedtime. Chula and Hank each had a parent and we shared ice cream. Seems Hank is fond of ice cream, but not a glutton like Chula. He went to bed at 9. I think he was tired because he had no problem locating his hut.

This is just Hank. New posting for Hank and Chula!:lol:

Iain - I hope you are reading this, this is mostly for you and JB to keep up with the little dude! Here is a photo of him on top of his cage, set up in a nice corner with a nearby plant and pictures on the wall to look at... I am going to put a UV lamp like Chula has in that receptacle above him, so he gets his good light while we wait to move him into the other room with Chula.

Edited by KittyKitty, 04 July 2010 - 07:42 AM.

#2 KittyKitty

KittyKitty

Adv Member

• Members
  • 768 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 07:52 AM

Hank and Chula were kept separate, but allowed to be in the same room. Chula was extremely curious, Hank was shy. We will continue the distance satellite mode of introduction before allowing them to play or sit on the same perch.

Hank and Chula were both on the kitchen table for dinner, Hank prefers the high chair back, he jumped right up and accepted his dinner from Kevin. Chula mooched from my plate and patrolled the table.

So far we are okay.

#3 KittyKitty

KittyKitty

Adv Member

• Members
  • 768 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 07:59 AM

It's a new day, and I was up at my usual 7:30 to take care of the dogs.

Kev and Chula usually sleep in, so I proceeded with standard schedule. I uncovered Hanks cage as I brewed my coffee, and warmed up the Beak Appetite, with extra veggies mixed in.

Hank chirped at me, so I brought him his breakfast. He has eaten for a 1/2 hour, before Kevin and Chula came downstairs. He allowed me to reach in the cage a couple of times, to get him out and to put food in. I checked his water while he perched on the rope perch.

Chula is not eating her breakfast, Hank is hanging on Kev's shoulder. He looks quite content to hang there, preening Kevin and doing his happy head bob.

Time to bring in the princess. She is ringing the bells and chirping!:rolleyes:

#4 KittyKitty

KittyKitty

Adv Member

• Members
  • 768 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 09:58 AM

Kevin had to go drop his daughter off at work, so Chula and Hank are in their cages. Calling out to each other. Hank starts, Chula replies.

He is preening his toes and tail, stops, chirrups once, and Chula replies with her double squawk. Wonder how long this will last.

5 minutes, Chula doesn't answer anymore. he he he:lol:

Hank calls, Chula said WHAT! I am laughing.

#5 CosmoKramer04

CosmoKramer04

Adv Member

• Members
  • 674 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 02:46 PM

So glad you were able to take Hank in!! I LOVE his cage!! Looks like a very happy Quaker. :)

#6 KittyKitty

KittyKitty

Adv Member

• Members
  • 768 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 03:44 PM

Kev and I went out to lunch, and to run a couple of errands. We left the 2 fids in their cages and tried not to obsess. Of course we were heading out to find a bowl to be his soft food bowl, and to see if the bird lady at the flea market was working today, she sells the bucket of toys that I can use to refill the leather toys that she has destroyed.

We came back and Hank is stepping up and showing cage aggression only when his door is closed. I can reach right in and he steps up happily - he even did it for Kev. Hurray!

Hank is happiest with Kev. Not so comfy with me, I think I will be tolerated. I tried to give him red chili pepper, and he was enthusiastic, but then dropped it. He loves to sit and rub his face on Kev's razor stubble - and he does his head bob with a twist thing to show that he is happy. Kev is totally wrapped!

Chula and I are watching them and laughing.

#7 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 03:44 PM

At the very least, Iain will know Hank is well and happy with you, and that you'll take wonderful care of him. Posted Image

#8 Chiff

Chiff

Keely and Ben (teddy bear)

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 04:01 PM

That is really great news. Hope you have heaps of fun with him.

#9 KittyKitty

KittyKitty

Adv Member

• Members
  • 768 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 07:53 PM

JB was wonderful, he provided us with a folder with all of Hanks data - to include his likes, dislikes and schedule. We read it, and have been thinking of these lists as we deal with Hank.

So we discover something; not only does Hank love love love pumpkin seeds, Hank really loves to get his beak on some Papaya! Woo Hoo, like my hubby and Mexican food - he will climb to the highest heights to get some Papaya!:P

Chula is wondering why his eating habits are so interesting. She gets Papaya on a regular basis.:rolleyes:

#10 ~Crystal and Bammie~

~Crystal and Bammie~

Adv Member

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:00 AM

Sounds like he is very happy with his new place!!Posted Image I think Hank is very lucky to have you guys as well as you are to have him!Posted Image I love the picture too! Looks like he is living like a king,,,look forward to see more pictures,,Best of luck to all of you..

#11 Iain

Iain

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 05:35 PM

At the very least, Iain will know Hank is well and happy with you, and that you'll take wonderful care of him. Posted Image

This is Great. Thank you Rita, Kevin and family! You guys are the best!

Hank is a special bird and he has found a special family Posted Image

#12 KittyKitty

KittyKitty

Adv Member

• Members
  • 768 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 07:16 PM

Thanks Iain!

We are having a blast with him so far, it's like a puzzle with no picture!

He is okay with us reaching into his cage for him, but don't go near the cage when the door is closed! I preened some quills last night, Kevin had to cup him in his hands - but I made a lot of progress on his head.

Later I go for the back! He is looking a little rough.

He loves cheese - just snacked on some laughing cow cheese with me.

Now, Kevin wants to know " Why does this bird keep biting on the top of my ear? " I reply, "Because he can!" :D

I have purchased some new perches, and he has ground down his beak and nails quite nicely - I am moving them around trying to find his favorite places to perch. I still haven't seen him show any interest in toys. Small attack on a paper toy - but he only beaked it, didn't really play with it.

Kevin and Hank are playing wars. It's cute. :rolleyes: really, it's cute.... Chula and I are not amused.

#13 KittyKitty

KittyKitty

Adv Member

• Members
  • 768 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 05:03 PM

We have more photos, but I cannot add to my gallery. Here is the cutest of the bunch!

Edited by KittyKitty, 07 July 2010 - 05:04 PM.

#14 KittyKitty

KittyKitty

Adv Member

• Members
  • 768 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 02:38 PM

I can't believe how lucky we are to have Hank. :wub: He has adapted to his new schedule and he has adapted to new owners so well - I am sure he came from the best of stock (Just for Pets in MD) with the best parents! :lol:

This morning, I was a little behind schedule - and he was already peaking out from under his cover when I went into the kitchen to turn on the coffee pot. He squawked at me a couple of times, and jumped right up onto my hand when I opened the cage door.

I was at the hospital all day, (Nothing is wrong with me - my best friend had a little fender bender so tests had to be run!) and then out most of the evening yesterday - and Hankie missed me!! This morning, he was affectionate and snuggling me like he does Kevin. He EVEN LET ME KISS HIM ON THE HEAD!!!!! I really love this bird! We showered, and we got "Pretty" then woke dad up and little 'sis' since they sleep in.

I cannot be happier with this little dude. When you adopt, you worry about quirks and how they will react to the change... but this little guy, who obviously misses his previous 'Daddies' but will allow more people into his little heart. He is still leery about the little sister Chula - but hopefully he will warm up to her. She is dying to have a preening relationship with him, I see it in her eyes and the way she tries to walk up next to him.

As stubborn as I hear Hank is, Chula can match him, and she is young with an endless amount of energy - so she will probably wear him down into submission. Kevin sums it up - these girls in this house are terrible pains in the a**. I guess that is the dynamic with cute young females paired up with older grumpy males.... :P

I hope you'all are enjoying this little tirade with my annoying perky postings - I focus on the happy, and really this guy comes with no negative points. Well, the preference to MEN is annoying - he was supposed to be MY LITTLE MAN, but I will get over it and enjoy watching him dote on his new daddy and watch Daddy dote on the little boy. :wub:

#15 KittyKitty

KittyKitty

Adv Member

• Members
  • 768 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 11:52 AM

Whew! What a hectic week. Best friend in hospital, and helping her get moved as well. Ain't no fun! BUT! The fun was all at home. Hank had his anniversary on Saturday - and we celebrate by taking him on a ride to find some toys. We were going to take him (and Chula) to have the wings clipped, because there is way too much independent air time going on!!!

We missed Carol - our trusted wing clipper - so we ordered a Boing for Hank and picked up toys for he and Chula to experiment with. Chula was ALL GO for the toys - testing everything out at the store, Hank just wanted to hang on Daddy's shoulder.

Sunday was the big bad day. We went back and saw Carol - she evened out the feathers, getting the long blue ones out of the way. Gave us emergency blood feather crisis training. No, no blood feathers were affected, but both babes had several so she gave us the preemptive briefing should anything EVER happen to them. We love her. Needless to say, won't feel brave enough to EVER clip their feathers ourselves.

Hank is a happy little daddy loving camper. Chula is trying to get close to him, but beak bashing breaks out. I tried giving them rice with veggies for lunch on Sunday - on a square plate, two piles of food on opposite corners, with 2 bowls of water on the other two corners.

Hank had all the corn on his side while Chula ate all the peas on her side before they switched sides and got the favs from the other birds food pile. It was a peaceful meal - but then Hank noticed that Kevin had corn on his plate so he picked through Kevins rice and veggies pulling out his favs.... Very cute and entertaining.

I shoulda had the camera ready....... Bad Mommy. :huh:

#16 KittyKitty

KittyKitty

Adv Member

• Members
  • 768 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 01:47 PM

Well, Hank has realized that he can no longer fly! His jump up to shoulders is no longer as effective, and he is not happy. But, since his Minion Kevin is always available - he will just have to focus on growing new blue wings and get back to business.

We have been enjoying watching the interactions between the two Quakers, Chula is a little devil - Hank tries to ignore her, then she pulls his tail feathers!

I had to give Hank a bath yesterday. I put him in the birdie tub and splashed him up. He didn't like it much, and he didn't preen himself after wards - I am surprised that he looked like a soaked chicken and not like Chula. She must have more natural oils on her feathers that he does. It also took him a long time to dry. I will be picking up a spray bottle to mist him today - he needs baths, and if he wants misting then he will get misting.

Yesterday I also discovered that Hank really enjoys carrot slices. He was very excited when I handed him a piece of carrot! He munched it down to a little nub then dropped the last bit on the floor. He was hanging out on the boing with Chula - I handed her a piece of carrot at well - she wasn't as enamoured, but she still ate some of it.

He also loves broiled salmon! I made some last night and he was happy eating his veggies and his salmon. That outta fatten the little guy up a bit. I think he is way to thin, he should be beefier.

'nuff for now!

#17 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 03:20 PM

I love reading these updates on Hank and how well he's doing! Sounds like he and Chula are having a similar relationship to Jade and Clyde. More pictures, hint, hint????

#18 KittyKitty

KittyKitty

Adv Member

• Members
  • 768 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 09:20 AM

I posted pics in my gallery, but now I cannot post new ones. I am experiencing technical difficulties with the web page. Kevin sent me a thread with suggestion from the support peeps, but I haven't had the time to investigate them at home.

I will try to get pics and vids posted... We have a Flip video camera and it takes great videos - I just worry about the size restrictions as it is in HD.

#19 Iain

Iain

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 12:06 PM

I love reading these updates on Hank and how well he's doing!

Me too!!!!!!

Thanks Rita.

#20 KevKaos

KevKaos

Adv Member

• Members
  • 327 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 02:29 PM

Me too!!!!!!

Thanks Rita.

Rita didn't mention that we are getting closer to Hank playing with toys. Yesterday, I picked up a little foot toy which is two plastic discs conected together via little plastic rods to make something like a mini cage with a bell inside. Hank was on the playgym, just chill'n. I gave the toy a little shae which caused the bell to ring, and Hank perked up. I gave it another shake and then handed it to him. Hank bit down on it, gave it a good ole shake of his own and then dropped it like he was saying "there, that ones dead". We did this a few times. then he got down from his perch and was walking around the playgym. He was passing another (different) foot toy, some kinda nibbled at it as he passed by. I have noticed that he seems to be interested in shoes and shoe laces. He seems to like to nibble at shoe laces when he gets down on the floor and finds a shoe. Hank also seems to like to bite at the soles of my dress shoes. The other day, he went down to the floor and found one of Ritas shoes. Stuck his head inside and was nibbling at the leather. Rita thinks maybe we need to get his a baby shoe. Hehehe. I'm willing to try anything (thats safe) to get him playing. Still have hopes that when the boy returns home, they will come up with some appropriate birdy-boy games.

Edited by KevKaos, 15 July 2010 - 02:30 PM.