Posted 22 December 2010 - 01:26 PM
1. My name is Rita and I live in Maryland.
2. I am a computer systems administrator - LINUX, VMware and some Windows.
3. What are your (other!) hobbies? As if there could be life without Quakers!!! No, Really - I love hiking and there are plenty of opportunities in the MD area, I enjoy all the local cultural festivals and I listen to most music - minus gangster rap.
4. Share something interesting about you. I am of Mexican decent - I stick out like a sore thumb around my 'not-Mexican' friends and coworkers :-D
5. What is your biggest passion within the subject of birds/bird keeping? I don't know if I have a passion; I just really love playing with my two girls!
6. What species are your birds, and how did they get their names?
I claim the two Quaker Parrot females in the house - Chachi (the first and formidable) was picked up by my husband at a PetCo. I had no clue about birds and asked "What do you do with a Parrot?" You can't walk it like a dog or play with it with yarn and nip like a cat - what was the point? AND - it doesn't look like a parrot, especially one of those that I see on TV and in stores that do talk! Chachi was Roscoe at the store - Kevin asked for a Spanish name so I came up with Papi Chulo Verde "Cute and green" or in Portuguese... Green like money - they fit. DNA tests came back and he became La Princessa Chula Verde (The pretty green princess) and by then - she had dug in deep into my heart and convinced me that there was no way I could live without her!
Bonnie was an accident. We forgot to take our anti MBS pill over the weekend and driving home from the Eastern Shore; Saw a bird store; went in for a cage for Chula; walked out with a Blue Sale Baby (honestly she was on SALE!!) and a cage for her. She didn't like me at first - I got the same reaction my vacuum cleaner gets now! But she warmed up to Kevin right away. After a social visit and she let me hold her - she talked with me - and she whispered secrets into my ear, there was no letting go of the little blue love bug. Kev and I are both big Gone With The Wind fans - an endearing quality with my Hubby - so we decided to name HER if DNA came back as female Bonnie Blue (Butler); HIM BooBerry.
7. What is the favorite toy for your flock? Humans... definitely Humans....
8. What is your flock's favorite food? PUMPKIN SEEDS!!! And pizza.
9. Share a favorite bird story. He he he! My husband acquires 2 birds - and both prefer me! I acquire Hank - and he prefers Kevin!
10. How long have you been keeping birds? Since October 2009
11. What sparked your interest in them? Chachi TOLD me I was interested. JK - Kevin made me do it!