MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.com

and register there to participate in our community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Kittykitty

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 KittyKitty

KittyKitty

Adv Member

• Members
  • 768 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 01:26 PM

1. My name is Rita and I live in Maryland.

2. I am a computer systems administrator - LINUX, VMware and some Windows.

3. What are your (other!) hobbies? As if there could be life without Quakers!!! No, Really - I love hiking and there are plenty of opportunities in the MD area, I enjoy all the local cultural festivals and I listen to most music - minus gangster rap.

4. Share something interesting about you. I am of Mexican decent - I stick out like a sore thumb around my 'not-Mexican' friends and coworkers :-D

5. What is your biggest passion within the subject of birds/bird keeping? I don't know if I have a passion; I just really love playing with my two girls!

6. What species are your birds, and how did they get their names?

I claim the two Quaker Parrot females in the house - Chachi (the first and formidable) was picked up by my husband at a PetCo. I had no clue about birds and asked "What do you do with a Parrot?" You can't walk it like a dog or play with it with yarn and nip like a cat - what was the point? AND - it doesn't look like a parrot, especially one of those that I see on TV and in stores that do talk! Chachi was Roscoe at the store - Kevin asked for a Spanish name so I came up with Papi Chulo Verde "Cute and green" or in Portuguese... Green like money - they fit. DNA tests came back and he became La Princessa Chula Verde (The pretty green princess) and by then - she had dug in deep into my heart and convinced me that there was no way I could live without her!

Bonnie was an accident. We forgot to take our anti MBS pill over the weekend and driving home from the Eastern Shore; Saw a bird store; went in for a cage for Chula; walked out with a Blue Sale Baby (honestly she was on SALE!!) and a cage for her. She didn't like me at first - I got the same reaction my vacuum cleaner gets now! But she warmed up to Kevin right away. After a social visit and she let me hold her - she talked with me - and she whispered secrets into my ear, there was no letting go of the little blue love bug. Kev and I are both big Gone With The Wind fans - an endearing quality with my Hubby - so we decided to name HER if DNA came back as female Bonnie Blue (Butler); HIM BooBerry.

7. What is the favorite toy for your flock? Humans... definitely Humans....

8. What is your flock's favorite food? PUMPKIN SEEDS!!! And pizza.

9. Share a favorite bird story. He he he! My husband acquires 2 birds - and both prefer me! I acquire Hank - and he prefers Kevin!

10. How long have you been keeping birds? Since October 2009

11. What sparked your interest in them? Chachi TOLD me I was interested. JK - Kevin made me do it!

#2 Carrie~Anne

Carrie~Anne

"The Sound of Birds Stops The Noise In My Mind"

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 16,353 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 02:16 PM

This was a fun read, Rita!! I had to laugh at this:

Bonnie was an accident. We forgot to take our anti MBS pill over the weekend

:lol:!!

#3 KittyKitty

KittyKitty

Adv Member

• Members
  • 768 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 02:49 PM

She really was! Oh.... Look..... Left side of the road, it's a Bird Store..... Should I Pull Over?

BAM - It's a girl!!!!

#4 Jen_and_spiggy

Jen_and_spiggy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 10:32 AM

:D some funny bits there ....