MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Sweetie'S Progress

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MeanieGreenie

MeanieGreenie

Adv Member

• Members
  • 345 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 06:50 PM

We have adopted a blue female Indian Ringneck from my cousin. To sum up her history she has had 4 homes that I know of and this is her 5th. She lived shortly with my cousin because the owner before that has fallen ill and had to rehome her. She is about 3 years old and I know at one point she was hand tame, but hasnt been handled in over a year. She can talk some and loves grapes.

So far she is adjusting well, but she hates for me to try to touch her, and she wont step up on a perch or anything.

#2 jobo2mi

jobo2mi

Here ... let me get that for you!

• Members
  • 5,859 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 08:24 PM

Patience patience! I worked with Nala for 6 months before I could see any real 'progress' and then it came all at once. IRNs are even MORE wary of strangers than Quakers (if that is possible! <_< ) Keep working with her ....

#3 cnyguy

cnyguy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 10:18 PM

I have no experience with IRNs, but I imagine that the same approach used with other parrots should work just as well with an IRN. Sweetie will need time to adjust to her new surroundings, and may be even more wary since she'd had so many previous homes. I know that MG settled in with you rather quickly, but Sweetie will probably take longer to settle in. I'd suggest sitting by her cage and talking (reading, singing) to her quietly-- that works well with most new parrots, and helps them to get used to your presence and the sound of your voice. Once she's more comfortable in her new surroundings, then you can concentrate on step-ups and other things.

All the best to you and Sweetie-- and to MG too, of course.

#4 MeanieGreenie

MeanieGreenie

Adv Member

• Members
  • 345 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 10:41 PM

She is SOOO different than MG. It is so funny. She moves around her cage very slowly and watches everything. MG is super speed deamon and will take off the tip of your finger if you dont watch him (thats just how he is, use perch to get him out then he is totally fine, but inside the cage unless it is ME and ONLY food/water changing, your gonna lose a finger).

She is also strikingly beautiful. I love to just sit and look at her, but I think it creeps her out and she will hiss at me. She hates MG and thinks he is rather annoying, but he seems to be love struck by her beauty.

Even if she never comes around, she will be loved and is in her forever home (for as long as I have anything to do with it). And I'm thinking about ordering 2 cages from Amazon.com after the new year for them. Not glamorous cages but medium sized and they look easier to clean than this cast iron one. Plus MG likes that bar type better.

#5 KittyKitty

KittyKitty

Adv Member

• Members
  • 768 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 03:32 PM

So... Where is the picture of the new beautiful bird??? Hmmmmm.....

Congratulations, and just remember - we have to convince THEM we are lovable..... They KNOW they are here to be worshiped...

#6 MeanieGreenie

MeanieGreenie

Adv Member

• Members
  • 345 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 04:03 PM

Started a new thread with pics! But here is one! She doesnt really love the camera like MG does.

She also said "hello" to MG this morning. And I see her trying to reach into his cage like she is reaching for his toys, so I am putting some of his toys in her cage. I'm sure he will bop me on the nose for it LOL.

Posted Image

#7 cnyguy

cnyguy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 10:38 PM

Well, if MG is really in love with Sweetie, I'm sure he'll be happy to share some of his toys :D.
Sweetie is very pretty, and it sounds like she may be starting to at least tolerate MG. I imagine that she'll become more comfortable with you in time; like I said before, I suspect she needs a little extra patience because of her past history with so many homes.

#8 MeanieGreenie

MeanieGreenie

Adv Member

• Members
  • 345 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 02:17 AM

I came home today from dinner at the in laws. Went to open the door and I hear a faint "hello" "hello" I was like WTH who is that!

Sweetie opened her cage and was sitting on the couch (dont know how since she was clipped recently) but I convinced her to go back in the bird room and she climbed back to her cage...

BTW for those that dont know. When the "new" wore off she let her voice ring. IRN's are LOUD. ALOT LOUDER THAN A QP. But her "voice" isnt as sharp as MG's so its cool