MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Re-Homed And Kind Of Settled In

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Berty's Mom

Berty's Mom

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 07:46 AM

Hi there everyone,

I'm new to the forum so hi Posted Image , my re-homed, lovely Quaker is named Berty. He's about 3 years old, his previous owner was an older gentleman who couldn't keep him any more so I took the little guy in. I was a little shocked to find him in a cage that would only be suitable for a smaller bird, so I immediately went out and bought a much bigger cage for him, he's seems happier with that. We have had him for a while now, and he's still very shy of people,but he seems happy and is such a character.

Anyway, I was wondering if any of you more experienced owners could help me to help him less shy of people. I talk to him, leave his cage door open, sit by his cage when he's in there. I'm slowly trying to get him to step up on to my hand, but he's still very scared and will move away. I hold my hand by him for a while and talk to him, he responds with cute little noises, but the minute i move closer, those noises become louder and louder and he moves away.

Any advice would be gladly appreciated

Thanks very much Posted Image

#2 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 08:58 AM

It takes time, sometimes a lot of time, to win a bird over. They're prey animals and extremely cautious. Have you offered him treats from your hand? Pumpkin seeds or millet or food you're eating? They can eat almost anything we do. No chocolate or avocado and VERY limited junk food, but when you're eating, sit down by the open cage and make a fuss about how good it is and he might decide he wants a bit. Eating together speeds up bonding. If he won't step onto your hand, try offering your arm or shoulder instead. That's what we had to do with Clyde for a while because he was afraid of hands and to this day, two years after Jade moved in with us, she still won't step onto a hand, though she'll sit on a shoulder if you keep your hands away from her.