MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Book Reviews

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Carrie~Anne

Carrie~Anne

"The Sound of Birds Stops The Noise In My Mind"

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 16,353 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 06:46 PM

Hello fellow avian lovers!!!

I'm looking for some help from you guys and gals. I am wanting to put together a list of books that are a 'must have' for a bird lover. So I am looking for members to do a few things:

• suggest a book. This should include the name and author of the book;
  • give it a rating out of 5 (5 = excellent, 0 = I wouldn't read it if it was given to me for free);
  • a brief review of why you liked the book. Was it easy to read? Lots of photos? You could apply it to your own birds? Has great future references (ie: your bird may be a docile kitten now, but 5 years down the road turns into a raging tiger, and this book gives you tips on how to handle that), and anything else you might like to add;
  • would you recommend this book?
Any bird book is up for review :) It can be a hands on, techinical stuff (ie: Guide to the Quaker Parrot). Or a book you would read for pleasure (ie: The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill).

If someone has already suggested a book, you can suggest the same book! Give your rating, give your review and share your thoughts. The more people who share their rating/review will give a better idea as to how good the book is.

Because the list is being compiled by members of this forum, it will be a list of books recommended (or not) by bird owners, for bird owners. Can't get any better then that!

Just respond to this thread with your suggestions :)

#2 cnyguy

cnyguy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 11:43 PM

Alex & Me: How a Scientist Discovered a Hidden World of Animal Intelligence-- and Formed a Deep Bond in the Process by Dr. Irene M. Pepperberg

My Rating: 5

This book is a "must read" for anyone interested in parrots. Most everyone is familiar with Dr. Pepperberg's work with Alex, the African Grey parrot and her use of the "model-rival" teaching method. Up until his untimely death in 2007, Alex was featured on numerous television programs where he showed off his remarkable ability of cognitive speech-- Alex could distinguish colors, objects, materials, and shapes, and he could count and even spell words. This book follows Dr. Pepperberg's relationship with Alex from its beginning, through happy times and sad ones, through Alex's education and celebrity, and details the amazing public outpouring of sympathy following Alex's passing. It traces not only Dr. Pepperberg's remarkable scientific studies with Alex, but also the special bond they had-- something anyone who shares the love and companionship of a parrot can identify with. It is a fascinating read, sometimes funny, often touching, and beautifully illustrates the often surprising intelligence and personality of parrots. There is a center section with many black-and-white photographs, mostly of Alex. I recommend it highly.

#3 dawnmlly

dawnmlly

Adv Member

• Members
  • 471 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 04:20 PM

I have to recommend "Guide to the Quaker Parrot". I got this book when I got my first quaker and it helped me to raise him.

Now that he has passed and we have a new Quaker I have dug it off the book shelf and read it again as a refresher. My 10 year old girlchild has read it this time too. It is helping her to build confidence by knowing what to expect (somewhat) from Beaker.

I highly suggest you read it. It is straight forward easy to read and very informative. I also recommend it if you are thinging of being owned by a quaker, as it is honest and will let you knwo if you have what it is going to take to be a parront.

#4 Birdysue

Birdysue

Adv Member

• Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 05:55 PM

Yes I agree with alex and me.. that was great.. Also( Corvus, a life with birds} written by Esther Woolfson. This is a book about a woman who had various birds in her home from the Corvus family that she had rescued. Its a very good read for anyone who loves birds.
I also enjoyed the Parrot who Owns me: The story of a relaionship.

#5 Carrie~Anne

Carrie~Anne

"The Sound of Birds Stops The Noise In My Mind"

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 16,353 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 09:56 PM

The Parrot Who Owns Me by Joanna Burger

Rating: 5

World renowned ornithologist, Joanna Burger, writes about her complex relationship with a Red-lored Amazon parrot. Tiko is 46 years old (at the time of book writing) and the relationship that grows between him and his owner is one of love, trust and companionship. This is not a 'self help' book, or a book on how to work with parrots, but instead a wonderful story of human/avian partnership.

You will laugh, you will cry and you will totally fall in love with parrots all over again. A must read for any parrot lover.

I highly recommend this book. It will be one that you will enjoy reading over and over again.

#6 cnyguy

cnyguy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 08:04 PM

The Quaker Parrot: An Owner's Guide to a Happy, Healthy Pet by Pamela Leis Higdon. Howell Book House, 1998; 126 pages.

My rating: 4.

This is a good source of basic information on Quaker parrots, and would be especially helpful to someone new to the world of QPs. It covers everything from choosing a Quaker parrot, housing, feeding and training, to health care. It doesn't cover any subject in extensive detail, but gives a good general view of each topic. There are lots of color photographs, and a bibliography suggests several books for further reading. What impressed me most when I read this book is how well the author's affection for, and appreciation of, Quaker parrots comes through in her writing. It's quite plain that she loves and enjoys QPs, and that alone lifts this book above the average.

#7 Stuart's Family

Stuart's Family

Adv Member

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 06:51 PM

Stuart's veterinarian was Alex Pepperberg's veterinarian ... Dr. Karen Holmes. She had lots of good advice to get me started with him. Time to go back for the annual physical actually!