MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Puff Has A New Home And Is Starting To Love It!

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 karimonster

karimonster

Adv Member

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 01:24 PM

Today marks one week that Puff the little green QP has come into my life =) I love this bird more than french fries and that, ladies and gentlemen, is a lot of love.

There are so many things he does that his previous family didn't tell me about!

Yesterday, because Spongebob is his favorite cartoon, I had turned it on for him while I went about making batches of baby food for my 6 month old niece. As a new episode came on and they finished "Who lives in a pineapple under the sea?" he sqwaked an enthusiastic "SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS!" I just about died laughing.

This morning he's been riding around in the hood of my sweatshirt while I fold laundry, feed the baby, and sweep up around his cage. Every once in a while I'll hear him say "Good boy, Puff" which I've said many times, but never heard him attempt to repeat!

His previous family fed him nothing but seed, but in the last week I've found he likes cantaloupe, watermelon, eggs (but only scrambled!), cheerios, frozen grapes, and dried oats. Honestly, if he's out of his cage while I'm eating, he's more than happy to perch on my shoulder and try anything I offer or sit on the edge of my plate and take bites for himself! He LOVES brown rice soaked in some apple juice!

I know this might just be the honeymoon stage, but even if we go through a period of difficulty in the next couple months, I've already seen what a sweet and intelligent new friend I have =)

<3 my little Puff-ers!

#2 Diane Doolittle

Diane Doolittle

Adv Member

• Members
  • 512 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 05:28 PM

awww how wonderful! Sounds like you got yourself a gem there!:wub:

#3 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 05:38 PM

How sweet! :wub: Be warned, though -- that sitting on your plate and helping himself thing? Make sure the food is cool enough for him, for one thing, and for another, if he wants something and you're going for the same thing, HE gets it, not you. :lol:

#4 karimonster

karimonster

Adv Member

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 07:01 PM

Pictures! =)

Posted Image
I haz a cracker!

Posted Image
Mom, can I use your blackberry now?

Posted Image
Is that a Puff on your head or are you just happy to see me?

#5 cnyguy

cnyguy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 09:21 PM

Congratulations on adopting Puff-- he is one good-looking Quaker, and is settling in nicely in his new home. :D Great pictures. :)

#6 Diane Doolittle

Diane Doolittle

Adv Member

• Members
  • 512 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 12:22 PM

Adorable and very "tweeet" pictures!:wub:

#7 KittyKitty

KittyKitty

Adv Member

• Members
  • 768 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 01:53 PM

How sweet! Your life will never be the same! Welcome and congratulations!

#8 karimonster

karimonster

Adv Member

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 09:55 AM

I replaced Puff's happy hut last night because it occurred to me that his was too small...which is why he probably prefers to ride it and not sleep in it. The instant I put it in his cage, he snuggled up inside it and wolf whistled. I would've thought that along with a new toy, he'd be a bit freaked out by the changes in his cage or scared of the new stuff, but he rolled right with it and has been playing with that toy non-stop!

Today starts his conversion to pellets and he's handling it pretty well. Honestly, he's interested in trying anything that goes into his food dish, so I barely got my hand out of the cage when I put it in filled with pellets before he was already sampling them. He's got about 5 more minutes left with his seed before I pull the dish out this morning, but he acts like he's already down with his pellets.

I had the greatest idea for foraging for him today too, which he seems to enjoy already. He really, REALLY likes to destroy toys that have those big wooden blocks and beads on them, then stacks them up on the floor of his cage, or puts them in his "toy box" which is just a little plastic bathtub that he doesn't actually want to bathe in >< This morning I put a mix of pellet and seed in the bottom of his bathtub, put a few of his big beads on top, and sprinkled some millet over the whole thing to fall both between and in the holes of the beads. He's spent the morning digging under beads, pulling them out, pushing them around, and trying his darndest to get at all the yummy stuff in there. :) I guess the foraging bathtub was a success!

We go to meet his new avian vet next week just to get introduced and give them the copy of his shot record, etc. that the previous owner gave to me. :) I'm thinking about getting him DNA'd just to see if he's actually a he, but I love him either which way so I don't really care :)

#9 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 10:44 AM

I like the foraging bathtub idea. I might try that with mine, though with my lazy crew it might be too late. :lol:

#10 KevKaos

KevKaos

Adv Member

• Members
  • 327 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:18 PM

How fantastic is that(?), that he is settling in so easily. I would predict that this is not a honeymoon period, and you just got a great bird. Lets hope so, if nothing else. The Sponge Bob Square Pants thing had me in stitches. Good luck.

#11 Cooper's Mommy

Cooper's Mommy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 513 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 02:24 PM

Wow, Puff sounds like quite the little character :D Sounds like you both lucked out ... an awesome bird for you and an awesome home for Puff.

#12 karimonster

karimonster

Adv Member

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 06:56 PM

I just got my first cuddle and kiss <3 <3 <3

#13 karimonster

karimonster

Adv Member

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 12:46 PM

Currently, Puff is exploring my laptop as I try to type, which is pretty cute LOL Right now he's perched up on the screen, but he's already climbed down my arm to explore the keyboard (and bite at my fingers. He still doesn't like hands!). He also discovered he can get his beak under the space bar and pulled it right up. Oops....

#14 jaytee

jaytee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 4,380 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 12:50 AM

Sounds like Puff is moving in, and taking over. If you plan on having him near the computer, on regular basis, ORDER A NEW KEY BOARD NOW!!!!!!!!!! ;) :lol:

#15 karimonster

karimonster

Adv Member

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 03:41 PM

Today marks one week of pellet conversion.

As I'm sitting on the couch watching TV, Puff's hanging out in his cage because the cat was out and about, and its a quiet afternoon.

Then I hear it.

The crunch and munching.

I look over and Puff's got a peanut that he's giving the business to. I was a little confused because I'd taken the seeds out of his cage HOURS ago and there weren't any peanuts to be found on the floor, in his water, in his pellets...no where.

I go back to watching TV and the crunching and munching starts again. I look over and this time he has a sunflower seed.

Baffled, I just sat and watched him from the corner of my eye.

When he finished his sunflower seed, he quietly crawled into his happy hut, then popped out with another sunflower seed.

The little turd's been hoarding seeds in his happy hut when I give him the seed dish for his allotted time and pulling them out to eat whenever he wants!! He must've had half a handful of seeds in there!!

Now, I need to figure out how to outsmart the little trickster as it appears he will NOT give up his seeds without a fight LOL

#16 jaytee

jaytee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 4,380 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 04:00 PM

Posted Image

That's one smart *** (donkey) bird you have there!!!! Full cell check, after each treat time!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Posted Image

Edited by jaytee, 04 March 2011 - 04:04 PM.

#17 Carrie~Anne

Carrie~Anne

"The Sound of Birds Stops The Noise In My Mind"

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 16,353 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 04:51 PM

The little turd's been hoarding seeds in his happy hut when I give him the seed dish for his allotted time and pulling them out to eat whenever he wants!! He must've had half a handful of seeds in there!!

Now that cracks me up!!! Way too funny :lol: :lol: :lol:

#18 karimonster

karimonster

Adv Member

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 02:59 PM

Today Puff is getting his first taste of homemade birdy bread made from a recipe I found on the site.

He. Loves. It.

Birdy bread may be just what we needed to get through the seed withdrawals

Otherwise, Spring is in full effect along with "loving" his toys, my face, and my ponytail...the last two of which really creep me out.

He gives kisses, wolf whistles, says "good boy," "Hello," and "Puff Puff" and I think he's practicing what sounds like "Be gentle" which is what I say when he starts getting nippy.

I put together his new playground this morning. So far he isn't impressed LOL He's curious, but alarm calls if he moves too near it. The curiosity is a good sign, though!

#19 murph

murph

Adv Member

• Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 08:33 PM

i absolutely enjoyed reading your birdie stories :wub:

i absolutely enjoyed reading your birdie stories :wub:

#20 dawnmlly

dawnmlly

Adv Member

• Members
  • 471 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 11:51 PM

After all the issues with trying to break Beaker of the seed habit....that is hilarious!!!

I made sure to read this after he went to bed just to make sure he didn't get any ideas :D :unsure: