MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Update On Gator & Sky

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 kalipso2

kalipso2

Adv Member

• Members
  • 2,381 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 06:45 PM

it's hard for me to believe that Sky and Gator have been with me for 3 years in april! Sky turns 17 this year and Gator turns 15. 3 years ago i told shelly (the owner of this website) i would foster her birds until she could find them a permanent home but i fell in love with them.

they are a bonded, untame pair and want limited interaction with me but i'm okay with that. even though i don't have any hands on time with them, they keep me entertained like you wouldn't believe. and Gator has taught my Cricket all the words he knows. thankfully, no bad words!

Sky doesn't talk and sometimes i wonder if she's happy. i let her wings grow in because she flies around the living room once or twice a night and that seems to make her SO happy that i can't take that away from her. and after 2.5 years, i finally saw her play with a toy the other night. that almost brought tears to my eyes.

Gator is such a troublemaker... and he makes me laugh every day. he still plucks but it's not as bad as it was when he first came to live with me. he doesn't pluck until he's red and bleeding but he doesn't let any new feathers come in. he's my half naked baby and i wouldn't have it any other way.

i worry that they are getting older. i wonder if they are truly happy with me or if they miss shelly. Gator still calls for her. i have Sky and Gator housed next to my parakeets because Cricket wants nothing to do with the parakeets or Sky and Gator. the parakeets eat seed and Gator and Sky can smell their food and want it so desperately that they try to sneak over and steal their food. i've had to start locking the keets food door because both Gator and Sky would open and feast on the seed.

one night i was watching tv and pulled out my video camera. Sky decides to head over to the parakeet cage but Gator is closer and faster. you can almost hear him thinking about how he's going to get to the food. here he is... trying his best!

Posted Image

#2 Casey's Mom

Casey's Mom

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,358 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 07:00 PM

Awww, I'm glad they are doing so well! Shelly found them the perfect home, that's for sure! :) Gator was definitely trying hard to get to that food, haha. :D

Thanks for the update, I can't even believe it's been 3 years already.. time sure does fly! :blink:

#3 LuvMyHarley1

LuvMyHarley1

Harley's Mom Julie

• Members
  • 12,565 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 08:18 PM

Yep, he sure was trying oh so hard to get to the keets food...what a trip he is....well, he tried but had to give up....Do you give them any seed at all Kris.......I give Harley seed sometimes......

And I am so glad you gave us an update on Skye and Gator..I thought you were going to keep them for just a little while, but ???...hmmm...... :o
Anyway, they have such a caring and loving mommy that they would rather just stay where they are.....Thanks again Kris........I don't see you on here often, but I do think about you....You are one of the best..... :)

#4 Pies Mom

Pies Mom

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 10:27 PM

I love the video. You can just see him thinking,"Drat! Mom tied the door shut!"

#5 kalipso2

kalipso2

Adv Member

• Members
  • 2,381 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 09:42 PM

thank you, julie! you're so sweet!!

and yes, i had every intention of only fostering Gator and Sky for a few weeks or months at the most but i did fall in love with them. i knew i'd stink as a foster mom... i fall in love too easily.

i do give them seed occasionally as a treat but i guess not often enough for Gator's taste since he was trying to steal : )

#6 LuvMyHarley1

LuvMyHarley1

Harley's Mom Julie

• Members
  • 12,565 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 10:19 PM

thank you, julie! you're so sweet!!

and yes, i had every intention of only fostering Gator and Sky for a few weeks or months at the most but i did fall in love with them. i knew i'd stink as a foster mom... i fall in love too easily.

i do give them seed occasionally as a treat but i guess not often enough for Gator's taste since he was trying to steal : )

:P There you go---I agree with you on the seed Kris....thanks for your answer..I give Harley his as a treat also....

#7 Diane Doolittle

Diane Doolittle

Adv Member

• Members
  • 512 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 06:22 PM

The video was cute. Boy were those little wheels a turnin!!!!:wub:

#8 jaytee

jaytee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 4,380 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 10:17 PM

Great update, thanks for sharing. :) I loved the fideo, saw the gears turning, but couldn't help but, think, 'there's a huge, open door, at the top of the cage.......' Posted ImageIf you really want those seeds............ :lol:

Edited by jaytee, 27 March 2011 - 10:18 PM.

#9 kalipso2

kalipso2

Adv Member

• Members
  • 2,381 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 09:07 AM

you're right, jaytee, there is an opening on top BUT Gaotor has gotten in plenty of trouble for going inside the budgie cage so he was trying not to get in any more trouble : )