MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Taz

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 taz's sis

taz's sis

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 08:06 PM

Taz and I have a bit of a different story, since I have known her since she was a fledgling. But We have gone long periods of time without seeing one another. She didn't like me when I would come she would dive bomb my head and bite. She had free rein of my dad's house and lived with 2 Great Danes and 5 cats and many fosters throughout the years. My mom couldn't say no to any animal in need. Well between my mom passing away in 2009 and my dad no longer to care for her I brought her home to be with me this past week (March 23, 2011). She is coming around great. Yesterday she told the mail lady "peekaboo" which is the first and only thing she has said since being home with me, she usually talks up a storm when she lived with my dad. She is getting used to being in her cage at night but is up at the crack of dawn.. So I will let her out and she will sleep on my bed with me and my 2 dogs. The 9 year old dog and Taz are friends for 9 yrs no matter how long between visits they love each other always. The 8 month old puppy is terrified of Taz, its quite funny when Taz squawks, JD (the puppy) will take off to another room. She spends most of the day on my shoulder playing guard bird. No one is allowed to touch my shoulder. But she has made her rounds to about every shoulder in the house other than my 6 year old niece but will let her pet her. So she is starting to socialize with everyone. I was scared the first couple days about the stress she was going through as well as my sister and I remember the old her and biting her. She has only actually bitten my brother in law since being here. My brother in law built her a perch that we placed behind my computer chair. Yeah, she wants nothing to do with it. But we still place her on it a few times a day to get her used to it. She needs a new ladder she has chewed it sometime through the course of the past few years so will be getting her a new one and she needs a new cage, hers is falling apart. One of my dad's cats thought it was a litter box. So I had to sterilize it with mild dish soap and very hot water. But I already have her new cage on order and will have it next month, its about 3 times the size of her current cage with a play area on the top. That cage will stay downstairs maybe she is used to waking me up in the morning now and don't want to change that. Any suggestions? I hope this pic loads so you can see her on my computer chair and I will post more pics as time goes by. Thanks for letting me vent and brag.

Edited by taz's sis, 29 March 2011 - 08:09 PM.

#2 KittyKitty

KittyKitty

Adv Member

• Members
  • 768 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 02:51 PM

Welcome to you and to Taz. If you don't want her to wake you - cover her and close the drapes/blinds! We all need our beauty sleep!

#3 taz's sis

taz's sis

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 03:25 PM

Welcome to you and to Taz. If you don't want her to wake you - cover her and close the drapes/blinds! We all need our beauty sleep!

Ty I will def try that .

#4 taz's sis

taz's sis

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 03:29 PM

Ok, we tried the covering the cage last night. I don't really know how well it worked because I was up and down last night and couldn't sleep so she was up everytime I was plucking on the bars of her cage. We will try again tonight. She did talk and laugh some yesterday which was awesome to hear. She is quiet so far today but has been flying from room to room seeing what everyone is doing. Then she returns to me and sits on my shoulder or on my computer chair. She does this thing I don't understand why she does it and has done it for years. She will sit on a person's shoulder and walk in a tight circle so her tail hits you in the neck or face then tries to bite because she thinks you pulled her tail. She don't like her tail messed with but she does this almost everyday now. She is a strange one. But I do see progress in other ways. When my mom was living, she was a one person bird (hers). That didn't change after my mom passed she still didn't like anyone else. But she is starting to socialize with everyone in my house. We have 4 adults and 2 children in the house. And she seems to like everyone but will bite more at my brother in law. She only does this when she is tired of being on his shoulder and I am not in the room so she can get on mine. As soon as I come in the room she will get on my shoulder. But if she bites I put her back upstairs in her cage. I don't know how else to show her biting is unacceptable in this house. But she is doing pretty good.

#5 cnyguy

cnyguy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 09:11 PM

It sounds like Taz is adjusting well to her new home. :D

#6 taz's sis

taz's sis

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 09:48 PM

Attached File  Taz took a shower.jpg   87.45KB   0 downloads
Ok how normal is this? Taz used to take showers with my mom on occasion. And only with my mom. Today she sat on my shoulder under the running water to wash herself then sat on the top of the shower to start drying herself. She has never done this with me before. She will usually sit on her cage to wait for me to come out of the shower. She is also starting to sit on my 6 year old niece's shoulder. My niece loves this and is aware that she may bite so to sit still and talk nice to her until she flies off. And she spent a good deal of time on my brother in law's shoulder today too. I have never known her to adjust to anyone so quickly or at all for that matter. How long does it usually take for a quaker to adjust to people? Mind you I am not complaining but am wondering when the other shoe is going to drop. But she seems to adjusting to the rules a bit better since she never had any for 11 years. Her and I are definitely getting to know each other on a different level than we have the past 11 years.

Edited by taz's sis, 31 March 2011 - 09:51 PM.