MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.com

and register there to participate in our community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Weak Or Lame Foot On Blue Quaker We Want To Adopt. Help!

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 PuterPro

PuterPro

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 08:33 PM

Hi All!

I've had a number of birds over the years, most recently a Yellowsided Green Cheek Conure (who we lost after 8 years, we're devastated!)

We have waited a bit, done a massive cleanup with safe cleaners (including steam cleaning the cages, a large King Cage being the primary) and are now ready for a new Baby in our lives.

We have found a local store with a 3 week old (now 5 weeks) Blue Quaker and are on our way to "Love Island" {Grin}. We try see her 4 times a week, and handle her a lot.

BUT. In handling her as she started to learn to stand, I found her "favoring" a foot (the right one, with a band). I checked for cuts, growths, lesions, or binding of the band, all appears fine on the foot and leg. Didn't react to light pressure on leg or foot.

She at first would just clumsily shove it down when climbing or trying to perch, never wrapping her toes around my finger or use the toes to grip while climbing. Basically, she would use her foot as a "club", no toe action. I put this down to she was still a baby, only 3 weeks, and hence just clumsy. Not everyone is an athlete ...

Now, after two more weeks, she has started to perch (and I believe today when we see her, the store owner will have her out of the "bin" and into a cage with perches), but she STILL favors her left foot. The grip of her left foot is good, but I can feel a definite difference in pressure of her right. We're really concerned about buying a sick bird ... It's a lot of $ (over $400), and we just LOST one ...

Although I made it clear we would not take the bird if a Vet exam showed any problems, I don't want to spend a couple hundred dollars on a Vet bill just to give her back (plus the Emotional aspect). I'm ALSO worried that she may be "BETTER" by then, but what caused it in the FIRST place??? I

know what I know. This bird has had a foot problem that seems to be lessening.
Is it NORMAL for babies to be just clumsy? Am I over worrying? It's hard for me since I'm a Computer guy and an "Engineer" at heart, but I know who I am, hence this plea for help!

Opnions? The store owner is sorta pooh-poohing me and my Wife is not really listening, she's falling in love .... HELP!!

Thanks SO much in advance!!

PS- Wanted to post this before our visit, but had Server registration problems ... We saw her today and her grip is much better but still weaker ... and she FLEW 1 - 2 feet to my Wife repeatedly!! Awwww! SO cute! It's also very cool since our Conue was most definitely MY bird, and I so want my Wife to be more involved. She was really stricken by our loss. The look on he face when "Topaz" flew to her rather than me ... no words.

#2 jaytee

jaytee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 4,380 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 09:12 PM

Welcome to qp.com. :)

Many fids do just fine with missing toes, even missing feet. As long as you see no swelling, or discoloring, and he IS using it, I'm sure you have nothing to worry about. :)

You get to watch your baby grow up, before bringing him home!!!!! Posted Image We were lucky enough to do the same with SMOOCHES. Once he's placed into a cage, give him something that will come home with him. It'll be a comfort thing, when he moves into a whole new world. ;) It can be a small toy, snuggle bunny, something as simple as a wash cloth, is a comforter to a baby fid.

Posted Image on your new fid.

OH!!!! Take lots-o-pics while he's young, they grow so fast. .....and don't be afraid to share. ;) ;)

#3 PuterPro

PuterPro

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 07:08 PM

Hi Jaytee!
Thanks so much for the reply, and the Congrats! We are indeed excited.
We had the fortune of getting to handle our previous bird, a YSGC Conure named "Prizm", before we brought her home, so we really didn't see any way to adopt other than that way. It really lets you bond ...
Our Pet Store owner seems to be pretty savvy, and insisted on getting her flighted before we bring her home. I was delighted she felt that way. We're thinking of letting her be partially flighted for now (an adventure I'm sure since Prizm was always clipped). I understand it's better for exercise, general health, and balance. We also have two cats, who were bonded pretty well with Prizm (both allowed her "rides" although one was more reluctant and only did it to please US ...{Grin}), but we want her to be able to get out of trouble if she needs to ...

Today (Sunday) we got to see her again, 2nd time since my post, and she seems not to be favoring the foot now, in fact when she got tired after we worked her out {Grin}, she started to nod off on my knee, and I saw her pull up the UNBANDED foot, in the typical "one foot while sleeping" stance. I was delighted since that meant she was relying on the "injured" foot to hold all her weight!

Although theoretically I'm the new Owner,"Topaz" seems to be bonding to my Wife more than me. She keeps flying off our fingers onto my Wife's chest then crawls up to snuggle under her chin! Cute as can be!!
I feel like a third wheel ... LOL.
We
have already gotten her to "Step Up" over 80% of the time , both to my and Wife's fingers, and a pen (I'll bring a "step up stick" next time), so she's moving along quickly for such a baby.

OK. I'm a fairly bright guy (~AHEM~), but for the life of me I can't remember what a "fid" is. I know I've heard the term and think I KNEW it once but ...

Thanks for the tip on the "personal" items, I had forgotten that! We brought a little bright plastic "branch" we had, and bought a little stuffed pillow snuggly from the shop for her to get used to. I'm not sure about their sence of smell, but we both rubbed it on our bodies a bit just in case she CAN smell our scent ...

I not only have taken pics, my smartphone does 5 mp High Def Video, so I've taken about 12 mins of video! I'll get a good pic up later. OH YEAH - nice "picture" or Avitar or whatever of you guys. I see several people do that, how's it done?

Thanks again! Have a GREAT week!

Bob M. aka PuterPro

Welcome to qp.com. :)

Many fids do just fine with missing toes, even missing feet. As long as you see no swelling, or discoloring, and he IS using it, I'm sure you have nothing to worry about. :)

You get to watch your baby grow up, before bringing him home!!!!! Posted Image We were lucky enough to do the same with SMOOCHES. Once he's placed into a cage, give him something that will come home with him. It'll be a comfort thing, when he moves into a whole new world. ;) It can be a small toy, snuggle bunny, something as simple as a wash cloth, is a comforter to a baby fid.

Posted Image on your new fid.

OH!!!! Take lots-o-pics while he's young, they grow so fast. .....and don't be afraid to share. ;) ;)

#4 headfeathermistress

headfeathermistress

Adv Member

• Members
  • 715 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 08:16 PM

Fid is short for feathered kid.
Still take her to the vet. Maybe she had a foot injury and it is healing now?

Congratulations!!
Christa

#5 jaytee

jaytee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 4,380 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 10:24 PM

OH YEAH - nice "picture" or Avitar or whatever of you guys. I see several people do that, how's it done?

Thanks again! Have a GREAT week!

Bob M. aka PuterPro

I assume you're asking about our cartoon signatures/siggys. A previous member made them for us. Since she left, no one has offered to take her place. :unsure: I think she used Photo Shop, but I'm Posted Image .

#6 Carrie~Anne

Carrie~Anne

"The Sound of Birds Stops The Noise In My Mind"

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 16,353 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 07:00 PM

I would definitely grab this little cutie up!!! The pet store should offer a health guarantee (most offer at least 5 days). If not, then it is pretty much buyer beware. It is a good idea to have your bird checked out by an avian vet soon after you bring it home. This is something every parrot owner should do. Not only does it help to establish a relationship between you, the bird and the vet, but it also will help ease your mind of any issues that might be occurring.

Good luck :)

#7 cnyguy

cnyguy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 09:16 PM

Welcome to the Forum! It sounds like you've found the right parrot and that he belongs with you. :D A visit to an avian vet shortly after getting a new parrot is always a good idea.

As Jaytee said, a former Forum member made the signatures for many of us, and I believe she did use Photoshop to create them (Majj is missed around here-- hope she's doing well).

#8 Katapie

Katapie

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 04:50 AM

Hey there,
Just wanted to let you know that my Quaker Teekah has a club foot, by the time I adopted her it was too late to be fixed, but the vets said it could have been fixed it caught earlier. Having said that she uses her foot to hold her food and I even busted her resting all her weight on it while perching today! She gets around with no problems at all and has no trouble causing the mischef that a Quaker does!

Enjoy your little Topaz, great name btw!

#9 PuterPro

PuterPro

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 12:55 PM

Hi All!

Just a "quickie" since I'm at work (although being the Boss helps ... LOL! ) I'll try to hang out here this weekend a bit.

First, let me thank you ALL for the kind words and concern. I can't thank you enough for being there when I was stressed, you helped a lot!

Topaz is doing fine. I've attached a Picture (I'll try two, but the "multiple upload" link LOST my previous post, so I'm RE-writing this .... GRRRR)
We've been quite fortunate in that we've gotten to spend some time every two or three days with her. She's growing so FAST (but appears to be the "runt" {Grin}).
She flys well now, and we've taken the Breeder's advice and done a Baby clip. She just loves to snuggle under my Wife's chin, they're SOOO cute!!!

As for the foot - it appears to be just fine now. I wonder in retrospect if it might not have just been a too short clip of her nails ....???
One hopes.

@Carrie~Anne - We will, of course have a full set of tests done when we take her. The shop agreed that the adoption was dependent on no major diseases, but we'd be hard pressed to return her now ... we're smitten!

She's learning fast. Has "Step up" mostly conquered, is doing well on "Show me your wing" (where I get to open her Wings without protest), and is getting better on "Lay on your back", but she HATES that one!
My Green Cheek had that one so well I could lay her on the kitchen counter and do a full wing clip with NO protest at all! She loved to show that one off, and would lay on her back through transfers from person to person, or to a flat surface, staying there untouched until I told her "1,2,3 UP!" Hope I can get Topaz to do it!

@Katapie - Yeah, we love the name, Thanks! Thought of Indigo, but that would be hard to say, me thinks ... Teekah is cute too!

Once again, my thanks to all who replied, you "guys" {Grin} are the BEST! Oh, and it's a shame about the Cartoon pics, I'd love to get one done ... I'm pretty good with pictures, but NO talent drawing!!

PS -Pic is from 2 weeks ago, have to transfer the new ones from my phone ...
Well, so much for this being a SHORT post, the Boss is gonna kick my butt!
LOL!

All the Best, PuterPro

Attached File  Topaz-4Wks.jpg   92.25KB   6 downloads

#10 msdani1981

msdani1981

Love My Pets :)

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 01:42 PM

Oh, my goodness! What a cutie!! Good luck with her, it sounds like you're doing VERY well already! Congrats! :)

#11 DexterTheQuaker

DexterTheQuaker

Adv Member

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 10:27 PM

awwwwww! such a little love!!! more pictures please :)

#12 Debys Fids

Debys Fids

Adv Member

• Members
  • 449 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 10:57 PM

awwwwwww she is sooooooooo cute baby quakers are sooooooo adorable , Congrads on your new cutey

#13 jobo2mi

jobo2mi

Here ... let me get that for you!

• Members
  • 5,859 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 06:19 AM

Oooohhh Topaz is such a cutie!! And it sounds llike he already has you both wrapped aroud his little toe!!! :D Can't wit till you get to brig him home, eh? You will love having that little personality around! And we NEVER get tired of pictures ... ESPECIALLY of babies!!! :D :D

#14 phonelady61

phonelady61

Adv Member

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 05:34 PM

I also wanted to say that handicapped birds dont know that they are handicapped and they do just fine minus a wing , a foot , a toe what have you . i have a quaker who flew into my car window and I scooped him up and took him to the vet . The vet wanted to put him to sleep WTH ? I scooped him up and drove over 2 hrs to my reg vet and he said too late to fix but he should be just fine . So I took him home and thus began my love affair with Quakers and now I have three . One that talks and he is soooo cute when he says something . LOL !!! Im sure you will love your blue .