MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.com

and register there to participate in our community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Mojo Laid An Egg!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 vdtijer

vdtijer

Adv Member

• Members
  • 341 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:36 PM

Mojo laid her first egg! She's a little over 3 years old now and this is a first. I saw it in her cage a few hours ago. It's not fertilized because she's my only bird, but what do I do with it?

She didn't seem to care for it when it happened but after a few hours she is now exploring it and sitting on it. I don't really want to her to lay more so I'm a little hesitant to take it out but how long is too long to leave it in there?

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks

#2 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:10 AM

My pigeon lays eggs regularly and I have a couple of fake ones so when she's not looking, I switch the real one(s) for fake ones and quietly dispose of the real ones. Then she can roll them around and sit on them to her heart's content without worries about them spoiling or getting broken. She gets bored in a couple of days and ignores them or rolls them into a corner and then I take out the fake ones and put them away until next time.

If you don't have fake ones, just leave the real one alone -- eggs keep quite a long time -- and let her sit on it if she wants to. She might lay another one or two before she's done. Make sure she has plenty of calcium-rich food to eat because eggs deplete their calcium, and let her sit on them or not as she chooses. When she gets bored with them -- and she will, she'll realize they're not going to hatch eventually -- you can take them out and throw them away, but even if she's bored with them, do it when she's not looking, even if you have to distract her with something like a sunflower seed. I don't have to do that with Maggie, because she threw one away herself once (really! I watched her roll it into the trash can, and she knew what she was doing!) but parrots aren't quite so cavalier about their eggs.

#3 Bene_Gesserit

Bene_Gesserit

Adv Member

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 05:07 PM

When mine laid hers last year, she laid 5 or 6 total. She laid them about every other day. I left them in there until she got tired of them...I could tell when she stopped caring because she'd be up on her perches rather than down on the bottom sitting on them. She was also very cage defensive when she thought they were fertile, but once she realized they were duds she stopped rushing at us when we approached the cage. When I took them out there was no reaction on her part. I'd say it took 2-3 weeks or so.

#4 headfeathermistress

headfeathermistress

Adv Member

• Members
  • 715 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 05:10 PM

Leave them in her cage til she gets bored. I have heard that some people hard boil them and put them back. I have always just had fake eggs to switch out

#5 gwolly

gwolly

Adv Member

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:50 PM

I kinda hope Cadbury is really a boy. It seems too sad to see them laying eggs and sitting on them hopefully when you know nothing is going to happen. Where do you get fake eggs from by the way? Pet shops have them?

#6 headfeathermistress

headfeathermistress

Adv Member

• Members
  • 715 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:06 PM

Pet shop would be expensive. Wooden eggs at a craft store. Not painted or treated.

#7 gwolly

gwolly

Adv Member

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:18 AM

Aaah, I see.