Some more info
uestion 1: How does one go about weaning a handreared bird?
- The weaning process must always be gradual.
- Remember that this is a time of stress. Keep all other stresses to a minimum.
- This stage of the baby bird's life is a habit forming stage. It is your responsibility to ensure they are offered the correct foods and are trained into a strict routine.
- Fortunately the bird is in a curious stage and will usually play with and try almost any food you give it.
- Offer various foods for the bird to play with when the bird gets two or three feedings of formula per day.
- When the bird reaches two formula feedings a day, feed once in the late morning and once at night.
- Offer the fresh food in the bowls in the morning and allow the bird time to play with (or even eat!) the food before you give the late morning formula feed.
- When the bird reaches one feeding a day, feed it formula at night and offer the food throughout the day.
- The night formula feed will protect the bird from night time cold stress and will help it rest.
- A hungry bird in the morning will be more willing to eat solid foods by itself and will be the most nutritionally stressed at a time that you can monitor it (daylight hours). KEEP AN EYE ON THE BIRD AT ALL TIMES!
1) During final weaning phases, the bird must not have access to other toys or objects that may keep it busy. The food must be it's focus.
2) 3 bowls of various food and a bowl of water will increase the chances of feeding and keep the bird busy. Always offer fresh food daily.
3) Make all bowls easily accessible - not too high.
4) Ensure that the bowls are fastened and can not be tipped over.
5) Avoid deep bowls
6) Monitor the birds intake by feeling the crop for food particles before the night formula feeding - the amount of formula fed at this stage will depend on this.
7) All feeding and play times must be kept to a strict schedule.
8) As the bird begins to eat more, reduce the various amounts of food in the bowls to the suggested guideline amounts to prevent selection.... And I'm off to dreamland