• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 DreamchaserT

DreamchaserT

Adv Member

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:39 AM

I have 4 week old Quaker I am hand feeding. The formula has been recalled and none of the pet suppliers in my area have anything to replace it.
I asked at them all and they say they have no idea when or if they will have anything.
I am almost out of formula what can I feed him until I find some? or have it shipped?
Is baby food okay? Baby cereal?
Panic mode setting in..Posted Image

#2 Jen_and_spiggy

Jen_and_spiggy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:24 AM

With cereals and all it will probably get stuck in their crops which is not good plus they need the proba formula... Can you not maybe find another type or ask a breeder to lend you some or a vet or order another type online ?

#3 DreamchaserT

DreamchaserT

Adv Member

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:34 AM

With cereals and all it will probably get stuck in their crops which is not good plus they need the proba formula... Can you not maybe find another type or ask a breeder to lend you some or a vet or order another type online ?

Thanks for responding I found some at a fish store an hour away on my way now....what a panic.
Hope everyone knows Kaylee Exact was recalled.

Ive been calling everywhere and finally an employee at petco suggested the fish pet supply store. Relief I was almost crying.

#4 Jen_and_spiggy

Jen_and_spiggy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:41 AM

Did you find some thing...I googled and found this..... In emergencies you can make your own formula by grinding up some bird pellets. Only in extreme emergency

:) glad you found some read after posting I was googling... Kaytees I don't think they that good anyways but that's only me..

#5 DreamchaserT

DreamchaserT

Adv Member

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:40 PM

Just returned from getting new formula.. its Kaylee but thats all they sell in this area...and what he was started on.
They have the new stuff out that they replaced from the recall. This guy had it over nighted to his store because he raises baby birds.
I am so glad.
I am so confused though. He said he never gives his birds baby food, veggie or fruit.
But I read that when you wean them you give them organic baby veggies and fruit?
I need to know all this before Figaro is weaned.
Very stressful LOL its hard to love something so much in a week.

#6 DreamchaserT

DreamchaserT

Adv Member

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:47 PM

Attached File  007.JPG   3.7MB   4 downloadsAttached File  007.JPG   3.7MB   4 downloads

Figaro

#7 Jen_and_spiggy

Jen_and_spiggy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:33 PM

Baby food is really for humans :D even tho its organic there to many preserves inside..his right rather start with fresh veggies cut up in small bits (carrots peas sweetcorn and so on) mixed with crushed pellets and a few seeds . Ps your birdie is soooo adorable. Have you hand reared a such a young bird before a bit odd that you got him/her so young..

#8 DreamchaserT

DreamchaserT

Adv Member

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:49 PM

This is my first purchased bird to raise. I have raised a baby squirrel , 2 week old kitten, bunny and several wild baby birds...
So feeding with a dropper or syringe is not new to me..
However I dont remember ever being a nervous to do it..
The squirrel and kitten were tiny but I hadnt read up so much it was a more or less "need" to do it or they would die,
Not sure yet if reading everything is good or bad lol so many conflicting posts and articles.
I feel far more responsible for Figaro making it.. but its something Ive always wanted to do..
What I read was people using organic baby food, fruit and veggies and even baby oatmeal.
But like everything else there are posts saying its good and posts saying it not..
Pray for us...Posted Image

#9 Jen_and_spiggy

Jen_and_spiggy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:11 PM

The main thing is feed the birdie from the left of his beck your right side. Make sure its not hot and not cold. I've done it a few times :) its not too easy don't belive everything on the net rather call a avian vet or a human who knows more..

#10 DreamchaserT

DreamchaserT

Adv Member

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:15 PM

Yes I have a thermometer and keep close track of it..he gets impatient with me because it cools quickly and I have to make more lol.
I use those throw away condiment cups like restaurants have. He likes the eye dropper more than the syringe.

#11 Jen_and_spiggy

Jen_and_spiggy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:27 PM

This is written by one of the best avain vets ... http://www.animalzon...Handrearing.pdf

#12 DreamchaserT

DreamchaserT

Adv Member

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:41 PM

So far from that article Im doing everything right Posted Image

Too bad he doesnt go further into weaning...

#13 Jen_and_spiggy

Jen_and_spiggy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:47 PM

He does on the last page :D

#14 LindeeV

LindeeV

Adv Member

• Members
  • 685 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:54 PM

Figaro is adorable.

This makes me wonder.....parent birds don't feed their baby birds Kaytee exact, or any other feeding formula. I guess they just partially digest whatever they're eating (seeds, worms?) and then regurg it into the baby's mouth. So.....how did human hand feeders come up with the ideas on what baby birds should eat?

I'm not being smart alecky, I'm genuinely asking.....are their some smart peeps (get it? peeps?) who know?

#15 Jen_and_spiggy

Jen_and_spiggy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:56 PM

Some more info :D uestion 1: How does one go about weaning a handreared bird?

Answer:

- The weaning process must always be gradual.

- Remember that this is a time of stress. Keep all other stresses to a minimum.

- This stage of the baby bird's life is a habit forming stage. It is your responsibility to ensure they are offered the correct foods and are trained into a strict routine.

- Fortunately the bird is in a curious stage and will usually play with and try almost any food you give it.

The process

- Offer various foods for the bird to play with when the bird gets two or three feedings of formula per day.

- When the bird reaches two formula feedings a day, feed once in the late morning and once at night.

- Offer the fresh food in the bowls in the morning and allow the bird time to play with (or even eat!) the food before you give the late morning formula feed.

- When the bird reaches one feeding a day, feed it formula at night and offer the food throughout the day.

- The night formula feed will protect the bird from night time cold stress and will help it rest.

- A hungry bird in the morning will be more willing to eat solid foods by itself and will be the most nutritionally stressed at a time that you can monitor it (daylight hours). KEEP AN EYE ON THE BIRD AT ALL TIMES!

Further tips:

1) During final weaning phases, the bird must not have access to other toys or objects that may keep it busy. The food must be it's focus.

2) 3 bowls of various food and a bowl of water will increase the chances of feeding and keep the bird busy. Always offer fresh food daily.

3) Make all bowls easily accessible - not too high.

4) Ensure that the bowls are fastened and can not be tipped over.

5) Avoid deep bowls

6) Monitor the birds intake by feeling the crop for food particles before the night formula feeding - the amount of formula fed at this stage will depend on this.

7) All feeding and play times must be kept to a strict schedule.

8) As the bird begins to eat more, reduce the various amounts of food in the bowls to the suggested guideline amounts to prevent selection.... And I'm off to dreamland :D

#16 DreamchaserT

DreamchaserT

Adv Member

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:05 PM

In response to the question about bird parents not feeding formula its what i was thinking when i couldnt find any in the pet stores.
People were saying milk and bread on other forums but I know better..people try and do that to wild birds and its successful
But then again I raised a baby squirrel on goat milk and a recipe for formula I know his Momma wouldnt have given him lol Posted Image

Im not looking forward to weaning Posted Image

#17 Jen_and_spiggy

Jen_and_spiggy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:09 PM

Figaro is adorable.

This makes me wonder.....parent birds don't feed their baby birds Kaytee exact, or any other feeding formula. I guess they just partially digest whatever they're eating (seeds, worms?) and then regurg it into the baby's mouth. So.....how did human hand feeders come up with the ideas on what baby birds should eat?

I'm not being smart alecky, I'm genuinely asking.....are their some smart peeps (get it? peeps?) who know?

humans had to come up with a scientific way cos we didn't wanna eat worms and all and regurge it into their mouths :D so I guess they studied very hard to get info over many years and figure out what's good for them.

#18 Jen_and_spiggy

Jen_and_spiggy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:28 PM

MILK and bread yikes !!!!!! Bird are Lactose Intolerance so NO.. Lol

#19 DreamchaserT

DreamchaserT

Adv Member

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:51 PM

I was just feeding Figaro I swear he wants to talk when he hears me he chatters like crazy..
I always warm up a facecloth in the dryer and hold him in it while i feed him..today is rain and chilly.
He snuggles down into it and clucks and chirps..
When i leaned over to check the temp on his food I felt something tugging at my neck...
Figaro had a hold of my pendant and was tugging at it...lol
Already a character...
He also loves to nibble my hand..and he clucks while he does it..Posted Image Im in love

#20 jaytee

jaytee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 4,380 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:22 PM

Figaro is adorable!! :wub: So glad you got the feed thing worked out. Jen, you helped out a lot. :)

At that age they change sooooooo quickly. Got more pics? :D