MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.com

and register there to participate in our community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Nail Removal?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DiscoQP

DiscoQP

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 03:50 PM

Does anyone know how much it would approximately cost to remove one nail? I have had Disco for about 8 months now, and I have been taking her to get her nails clipped and have luckily been able to cut the demented nail without any problems. I think she may have broken it before I adopted her with her previous owner, so now that nail grows curled under, almost poking into the pad of her foot. After she gets it cut, it seems like it may be a bit tender.. but that goes away a few hours later.

However, I can't help but feel we have gotten lucky too many times and that one day we are going to cut into the quick. I don't want her to be uncomfortable after the trimming of that nail, or if it prods into her foot.

Anyone have any idea how much this would cost at an avian vet? I would just like an estimate just so I have an idea of what I'm going into. I could continue the frequent trimmings, she doesn't seem to mind them.. but since I have started to trim and file her other nails, I would just be making that special trip for that one nail.

Would it throw her off balance? Does it seem excessive? Is there a greater risk than potential benefit?

#2 cnyguy

cnyguy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:12 PM

That would be tough to say, since there's such a wide range of charges for any kind of grooming or veterinary services. Around here, a complete nail clip runs from as low as $6 to as much as $60. At least one local vet charges for an office visit ($45) plus the nail trim ($25 at that office). If there are any bird groomers near you, they might take on the job for a reasonable price. It certainly sounds like it would be worth having that single nail properly trimmed.

#3 Bene_Gesserit

Bene_Gesserit

Adv Member

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:36 AM

I can't tell without a picture, honestly. As you said, this is a risk vs benefit issue. Cutting the quick is nerve wracking, but with blood clotters available it's not life threatening. However, putting a fid under general anesthesia does have risks. Birds are so light and have such sensitive systems that I don't feel it's worth taking that risk unless it's necessary to the bird's survival. I think that unless your fid started to have life threatening infections in that foot from the nail poking into the pad, it's best avoided.

Of course, consulting with an avian vet could give you better information as I am just an owner and previously worked in a pet store. There are also other more experienced and knowledgeable owners on the forum, and I'd be interested to hear their replies as well.

#4 jaytee

jaytee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 4,380 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:40 PM

I have no idea of cost, :blush: but the Q? of cut it off, or pay for trimming is a double edge sword. If it's a health issue, cut it off to prevent probs, if not........ Posted Image

An in office Vet consultation could be pricey. A phone call, and/or Email w/pics are free. ;)