• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 bethleham

bethleham

Adv Member

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:38 AM

Two weeks ago our beautiful cockatiel, Sammy, died while we were on vacation. We are devastated at the loss. Gross necropsy revealed nothing and I finally decided for the sake of the other cockatiel, lovebird and quaker to have her tissues sent in as well. We are waiting on the results. Meanwhile we took the remaining three birds to the vet for exams and fecal swabs. The cagemate of Sammy was given a blood test as well which revealed low calcium and protein and low level pastuerella and staph infection. We've been giving her Baytril and Calcium supplement twice a day. Yesterday after his fecal swab our wonderful 11 yr old quaker, Peeka, had a prolapsed cloaca. He is spending the weekend at the veterinarian's home under close medical supervision. He had seizures last night and she gave him valium and started him on chelation therapy. We adopted him from a friend of a friend because he was a problem birdy. He quickly became one of our favorites (Sammy was the other favorite). We've kept him in the cage he came in and have been talking about getting him a new cage because we've noticed he is scraping the paint and possibly licking the metal on the inside bars. I fear it may too late now. Please someone help me cope with this. I don't believe in God and I can't stand the loss of another life changing pet. I feel so hopeless. The other cockatiel and lovebird are good birds but they just don't give affection like Sammy and Peeka. We will continue to take the best care we can of them but I can't cope with this right now. I loved Sammy so much and Peeka is so special to us. I feel scared that I won't be able to go back to work and our lives will just be destroyed.

#2 Julianna

Julianna

Adv Member

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 01:41 PM

Awwww... sorry to hear about the troubles you are having... poor little birdies. It is very very hard to cope with the loss of a pet.... as they certainly are more family than a "pet". I do not understand many of the words you used and it sure would be nice if you could explain what they are. How did you know the bird was sick? How long did it go on? All those things I wonder.

I know one thing.... it is good to talk about the loss... so if you can to post more information... that would certainly help me understand better.

So very very sorry..... Wherever birdies go when they die... that is where I want to go too.

#3 bethleham

bethleham

Adv Member

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 01:57 PM

Julianna, Thank you for the response. Our cockatiel that died was examined by a veterinarian after she died and he was unable to find a reason for her death. We sent her tissues to a lab to see if they can find anything under a microscope but the results take a few weeks. Our other cockatiel was tested and found to have a little infection and is on antibiotic medications now. The lovebird had been tested but we are still awaiting results. Our quaker is really sick and it seems to have been triggered when they swabbed his butt with a q tip. The cloaca is where there poop comes out. His cloaca came out a little bit and was bleeding and he is now on antibiotic medication and pain medication for that and medication for heavy metal poisoning because he had an old cage that he would scrape with his beak. Old cages are bad because they are made from metals that can poison birds. Our bird may have consumed some of that metal and chelation therapy is medication given to try to get the metal out of their body so it can stop poisoning them. His cloaca coming out could be because he had an infection brewing already. I'm not sure what you didn't understand and so I hope that explains it all. Our quaker is with the vet and is not really eating or pooping much and requires a lot of constant care and he may not make it. My husband and I are very attached to him and to the cockatiel that died and we are very upset and sad.

#4 parrotplease

parrotplease

Adv Member

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 02:03 PM

My heart goes out to you and your family! I wish there was something to say to make it better, but until Peeka is back and healthy I don't think any words can make this situation okay. If anyone knows how much you love your birdies it is the people on here. When I lost my parrotlet it truly felt like losing a child or a best friend.

Just know that you changed Peeka's life for the better just by taking him in and he knows you love him. Not everyone would of gone through with the necropsy and the vet exams. Doing this will definitely give Peeka the best possible chance.

Goodbye to Sammy as well. She was lucky to spend her life with someone like you.

Goodluck, me and Finnigan will have our fingers crossed for you and Peeka!

#5 bethleham

bethleham

Adv Member

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 02:07 PM

[quote name='parrotplease' timestamp='1341169407' post='629175']
Thank you so much, it means a lot. None of our family or friends seem to understand the depth of our love for our babies. I get the feeling they are just shaking their heads and thinking "get a hold of yourself, they are just birds." They don't say these things but I can feel it.

#6 Jen_and_spiggy

Jen_and_spiggy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 02:56 PM

Oh my :( sending lots of healing and hugs from me... We lost our tiel last year to pdd so can understand your pain I hope all goes well...

#7 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,609 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 05:33 PM

That is such a sad story - so sorry for the loss of your cockatiel. There is nothing I can say to make you feel any better but I understand your pain. I will be keeping my fingers and toes crossed that Peeka will come home to you soon.

#8 cnyguy

cnyguy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,309 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:12 PM

So sorry for your loss of Sammy the Cockatiel. Many of us here understand how heartbreaking it is to lose a beloved parrot-- and to go through the worrisome experience of having an ailing parrot.

Sending positive thoughts and get-well wishes to Peeka. It sounds like he's getting good care.

#9 bethleham

bethleham

Adv Member

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:47 PM

Peeka passed away last night despite the vet's best efforts. We are having a necropsy performed. We are devastated.

#10 QTQP4me

QTQP4me

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:04 PM

i'm so sorry for your losses. i lost my dog probably 20 years ago, but i can still remember how i felt to this day. please take care, and know that if you want to talk you have a whole online family who understands.

kris

#11 cnyguy

cnyguy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,309 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:13 PM

So sorry to hear about Peeka's passing. My thoughts are with you at this sad time.

#12 jaytee

jaytee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 4,380 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:41 PM

I'm soooooo sorry about Sammy, and Peeka. Hopefully, the tests will reveal something that can prevent more loss. I know how much it hurts to loose a loved one. Try to hang in there, and be strong. Posted Image

#13 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,609 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:04 PM

I am so sorry about Peeka. I know how devastating the loss can be. Please let the members of this forum help you through this difficult time.

#14 Jen_and_spiggy

Jen_and_spiggy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 11:05 PM

:( sorry you lost your baby its very hard to loose a pet

#15 Julianna

Julianna

Adv Member

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 01:35 PM

awwwww... so very sorry for your loss..... and thank you for explaining the illnesses for me.

#16 ZoeyBird

ZoeyBird

Adv Member

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:08 PM

I am so sorry for both your losses :( I can't even imagine what you must be going through

#17 msdani1981

msdani1981

Love My Pets :)

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:26 PM

I'm so sorry. Many of us here have lost a beloved family member, so we really do know what it feels like. ((((((((((HUGS)))))))))) to you and your hubby. You will never forget Sammy and Peeka, but the pain will ease in time. Take care of yourselves and your other birds, they will miss Sammy and Peeka too. Let them help you, they will understand that you're sad.

#18 kalipso2

kalipso2

Adv Member

• Members
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:33 PM

i am SO sorry to hear about Peeka! i currently have a quaker that is very ill with giardia and the vet isn't sure she's strong enough to fight it. i'm doing everything in my power to help her but it might be too late. the rest of my flock have it too since giardia is very contagious among birds but they're all responding well to the antibiotics. Sky just isn't eating or drinking enough to keep up her strength so now i'm force feeding her which is hard on both of us.

poor peeka and sammy... i'm sorry for your whole family!

#19 LindeeV

LindeeV

Adv Member

• Members
  • 684 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:44 PM

I'm so sorry to hear about Peeka. It's amazing how much we can fall in love with these birds and grieve when we lose them.

I hope you have lots of happy memories of her life to comfort you.

Lindee

#20 bethleham

bethleham

Adv Member

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:33 PM

'kalipso2'
I'm sorry to hear about your Sky being too sick to eat on her own and I hope she makes it through. I know this is a hard time and my thoughts are with you and Sky. Keep her warm and rested with lots of love. These babies are precious and their health is a delicate thing. This whole weekend was so nerve wracking and hard on us. We don't have children yet and these were our children. I took two days off of work which I feel incredibly guilty about. Not sure they would be too understanding that we've lost these two affectionate, irreplaceable, beautiful birds in the last two weeks. I read an article about a woman a few years ago that lost her job when she took a few sick days to bury her dog and grieve.
How do you go on after this? We are talking about never getting another bird. We took a foster bird care class in order to join a parrot rescue group in the area but I don't see that going anywhere. I even feel that I don't want children now. I guess its pretty fresh still and the searing pain in our hearts will dull with time. I just feel so frustrated that I can't go back in time and get them into the vet and tested for everything under the sun and save them. We are still waiting on the labs from Sammy and now Peeka's tissues are being sent in as well. We buried Sammy in a big pot with some Hens and Chicks plants and a Pagoda plant on our back patio. I guess we will do the same for Peeka. I'm worried about them smelling and predators digging them up. I could put the plants in Peeka's old cage for a year or two outside. I took Peeka's cage down yesterday and bawled the entire time. I'll be soaking his toys and perches in bleach for a couple hours and then soaking in water to removed the bleach. Don't know what I will do with the toys. I guess if we find out it was a contagious thing that we'll have to throw them out anyway. I tried to cuddle with Xandry the cockatiel that shared a cage with Sammy and she just doesn't like to be touched. Giving her antibiotics and calcium twice a day is such a fight. The lovebird, Betty, hops on my shoulder when I am sad but if I approach her it's a bite into my nail bed until it bleeds. Peeka and Sammy were always good for a snuggle or a head rub. Thank you for the support. I am finding that friends and relatives are sorry and sad for us but I doubt they could really understand. Maybe my attitude needs some work.
Pickles (I nicknamed him Peeka) came to us three years ago. He was 8 and he was trouble. He was mean to everyone and really cage defensive. I decided to just let him bite the crapola out of me and held him and pet him and talked to him every day. He stopped biting me at least and my husband had the next break through when he was playing with him one night. My husband discovered that he liked crawling in between the super soft little pillows on our couch. My husband picked up two pillows with him in between like a sandwich and said Peeka peeka peeka and kind of rubbed the pillows together. I thought it looked kind of rough when he showed me but he took a pillow away and peeka waited there and looked at him like "hey, why'd you stop?" Another time I took a pillow and very lightly touched his head with it and said, "poof" and that became a game and Peeka would even say "Poof" when the pillow touched his head. I discovered one night that he loved helping me close the curtains by his cage I made up a song about closing the curtains and it had his name in it like a million times. He really loved that. I was kind of sad when we moved because we didn't have curtains in the new place. We had a game too where we'd see who could say his name the most. I would always win. Peeka peeka peeka peeka peeka peeka peeka PEEEEEEka. I miss that already. He would make a kissing sound whenever I went to kiss his head. He was 11 this year, I am 35. I had always imagined having babies and raising them around him and him being with me until they left for college. I'm so sad that he had to leave us so early. Sammy (8 yr old female cockatiel) died just two weeks earlier. She was the only bird he would even let near him. I am not sure they were buddies or anything because I've never seen them preening or really interacting. But Peeka would let Sammy sit next to him on my husband's shoulder. I was so distraught over Sammy that Peeka's death just has me in a fog.