MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.com

and register there to participate in our community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Other Birds In House

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Wetsu

Wetsu

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:45 AM

I am supposed to get my first quaker on the 22nd. I'm unsure of naming it Gizmo or Tweety but that is another story...

I already have a male and female parrotlet (they will have their own cage), than what my quaker will be in. My questions..

1. Will they get a long or will it be hard to socialize with the quaker? I mean will other birds in the house make him/her more standoffish?

2. I imagine the house will be a litle louder now...

3. Should I move the parrotlet's cage to another room or get rid of them?

Thanks!

#2 Jen_and_spiggy

Jen_and_spiggy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:46 PM

You can't just get rid of birds for another one :(.. They should be fine just keep the quaker in one cage and the others in their own cage/cages

#3 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 03:28 PM

I have seven birds and the only one I keep separate is the starling. I tried having him in the same room but he's too different and there was bound to be a problem. The budgie, tiels, Quakers and my pigeon all live in the same room and are out all day together. Parrotlets are so small that you shouldn't let them all out together without VERY close supervision until you see how they're all going to get along, and you may have to keep the parrotlets in another room the way I do with my starling. As for noise, a Quaker can be noisy, it's true, but mine only really make a lot of noise a couple of times a day when they're having the Morning and Evening Squawk, and other than that, it's not bad at all.

#4 ZoeyBird

ZoeyBird

Adv Member

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 04:56 PM

1342643305[/url]' post='629694']
I have seven birds and the only one I keep separate is the starling. I tried having him in the same room but he's too different and there was bound to be a problem. The budgie, tiels, Quakers and my pigeon

Pigeon?? Singular?? I haven't been around much lately, did I miss something? Did something happen with Mulligan? Thought he was coming around?

Edited by ZoeyBird, 18 July 2012 - 04:57 PM.

#5 gwolly

gwolly

Adv Member

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:19 PM

I was wondering what happened with mulligan too. We have two lovebirds in a cage together. and Cadbury and Conrad have separate cages but they have been getting along so well lately that I have started to leave them in the one for company when I go out. They are in the same travel cage a lot and sleep together in their 'cat cave' now. But the lovebirds and the two big birds are definitely adversaries. When they are all out together the big birds chase the lovies away, and recently I posted how Cadbury had her foot bitten by one of the lovies and was bleeding [that was through the bars when she was playing on the top of their cage'

#6 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:21 PM

We released Mulligan. He was so unhappy here and he was well. A friend has a pigeon loft where he could come and go with her pigeons. She doesn't race them or anything; she just lets them fly free during the day and come back at night.

#7 gwolly

gwolly

Adv Member

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 03:33 AM

That sounds good...with his 'own kind'. Good for Mulligan, and you did the main thing of nursing him back to health.

#8 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:05 AM

I wanted to keep him and make a pet out of him, but he didn't want to do that. He sat and stared out the window all the time and he got so agitated when I tried to tame him down. We tried setting his cage on the front porch so he could see the wild birds at the feeder, and he got all excited and livelier than I'd ever seen him. It was just obvious that living in the house wasn't what he wanted at all. Sometimes you have to do what's best for the bird instead of what you want for him. Maggie loves being a kept pigeon and doesn't even want to go on the enclosed porch to hang out. None of my birds wants to go out there. It's too open and it makes them nervous. Even Ringo, who was born in the wild, doesn't like the porch. So clearly being kept birds IS what they want. I miss him and I wish he'd been more willing to love us, but you can't always get what you want.

#9 LindeeV

LindeeV

Adv Member

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 05:18 PM

Just think. Mulligan is sitting in his new pigeon loft telling all the little baby pigeons about when he was kidnapped by aliens, kept for a while, and then sent back to his own flock. He's probably captivating them all with the stories of his adventures!!!

:D

#10 cnyguy

cnyguy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:34 PM

Your house will probably be more than "a little" louder with the addition of a QP, even if he's a quiet Quaker like Ralph. :D

Parrotlets and Quakers share the common trait of believing that they're much bigger than they really are-- they both often have "big parrot attitude." Parrotlets have the reputation of being aggressive toward other types of parrots, no matter how large the others may be. Just something to watch for with your two Parrotlets; no guarantee that they will act that way, of course.

#11 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:03 AM

Budgies are like that, too. Benjy would face off against an eagle if he met one.

#12 gwolly

gwolly

Adv Member

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:56 AM

Sounds just like Lovebirds too.