MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Which Cage?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 QuakerFriend

QuakerFriend

Adv Member

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:24 PM

Wondering which of these cages is the best for a quaker, and if anyone has the cages or knows if there are problems with them? I know none have a skirt around the bottom, is it possible to make one yourself?

Here they are

http://www.bird.com/...ht-cage/533501/

http://www.bird.com/...ht-cage/533844/

http://www.bird.com/...ht-cage/533500/

http://www.bird.com/...rd-cage/533766/

This is the same cage as the pet store has him in, is it a good cage and would it make him feel more comfortable if it's the same cage?

http://www.bird.com/...rd-cage/533781/

Also if there are good websites to order from that sell these cages a little cheaper, for the bigger cages especially.

#2 QuakerFriend

QuakerFriend

Adv Member

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:01 PM

Someone please reply to this, I am fostering in a while and I need a good cage!

#3 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:37 PM

Definitely NOT the cockatiel cage. Far too small. And the flight cages aren't really suited to a quaker, because parrots climb to get around in their cages and need horizontal bars. So frankly, I'd say none of the above.

Something like this is much better:
http://www.drsfoster...88&pcatid=13388

Or this:
http://www.windycity...Cage_p_413.html

#4 QuakerFriend

QuakerFriend

Adv Member

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 12:55 PM

Definitely NOT the cockatiel cage. Far too small. And the flight cages aren't really suited to a quaker, because parrots climb to get around in their cages and need horizontal bars.

I know this one

http://www.bird.com/...rd-cage/533766/

has horizontal bars, I moused over it and it looked okay. I didn't plan on keeping him in the tiel cage but I was wondering if he would be more comfortable in it for sleeping or something.

I am going to foster a Jenday and get a qp, so I was thinking this would be good because it has the 2 cages joined.

Also found this on Ebay

http://www.ebay.com/...=p2047675.l2557

if it goes up for bidding again since it didn't sell, wondering if it's better

Edited by QuakerFriend, 23 March 2013 - 01:00 PM.

#5 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 03:25 PM

The eBay ones are much better for a quaker or jenday. Some people have sleeping cages for their birds, but when we tried that with Clyde, it upset him. He wanted to be in his own cage. So we let him. When we first got him, we were totally unprepared for a bird and I had to run out to the pet shop and buy everything, and ended up with a cage that was too small. So as soon as I could afford it, I got him a bigger one, and we thought he could sleep in the smaller one, in our bedroom with us. But he didn't want to go back in the small one even just to sleep.

#6 Bene_Gesserit

Bene_Gesserit

Adv Member

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 07:24 PM

My cage is actually almost the size of the cockateil cage, but Happy is out about 11-14 hours of daylight(she is only in to sleep, and when we cook/eat.) I think that size depends on how much time the QP is out of cage. The more time inside the cage=the bigger the cage should be. If they are in a lot, the bigger the better. My situation is unique b/c my husband is disabled so Happy is out with him nearly all daylight hours.

#7 QuakerFriend

QuakerFriend

Adv Member

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:58 PM

Wow, that must be one very happy quaker. A human to rule over at all hours! Lately Dingo has started screaming at me when I pay attention to the tiels...birdy jealousy *sigh* He's going to be so mad when I get back from Washington. I've been gone for a week.
  • Bene_Gesserit likes this

#8 QuakerFriend

QuakerFriend

Adv Member

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:09 PM

Okay I think I'm gonna go for the Ebay one!

Now hopefully my mom will loan me $30 :P
  • Bene_Gesserit likes this

#9 Bene_Gesserit

Bene_Gesserit

Adv Member

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 12:35 PM

@QuakerFriend: she is super spoiled! She is an only fid, and runs the household. She also loves to play 'tag' with the kids. She's hugely therapeutic for my husband, too, so everyone benefits. Posted Image

#10 QuakerMomMT

QuakerMomMT

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:22 PM

I bought this one for my Quaker baby, the only bad thing are that the bars aren't horizontal but I love everything else about it and it is a great price. http://www.wayfair.c...21-AEC1048.html

#11 Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 03:09 PM

I was planning on getting a new cage for my soon to be adopted quaker, sometime after he adjusts to living in my house with his old cage. I have been told he is cage aggressive. Originally, I was planning on getting him a cage where the top opens up and becomes a playstand, but now I'm wondering if that will even making him MORE cage aggressive, since he will be more prone to hanging out on his cage.

Thoughts?

#12 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 10:31 PM

Sharyn, hopefully the cage aggression won't be as bad as you think. Make it a happy experience for him when he comes out of his cage, when he gets to know you he will be waiting for you to open the door. My birds like the top of their cages to sit on wether there is a play top or not. Once they are outside of their cages with the doors open they will usually be happy to let you clean while they watch. A perch on the outside of the cage beside the door will help encourage a new bird to come out. We'll be here for you when he decides not to go back in. :)

#13 Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 08:42 AM

. We'll be here for you when he decides not to go back in. smile.png

LOL thanks! And actually, after further discussions with his foster mom, she can get him out of the cage and stepping up with a bribe (or reward, however you want to look at it) of fresh fruit. She told me "he is interested in EVERYTHING ANYONE eats" so that already makes things easier

this forum is great, thanks for the support. I bring home the new family member tomorrow hopefully. He is coming with a cage, but I'm going to upgrade to something that is more suitable to my house as soon as he's settled and comfortable in his new surroundings. Oh..and for all you Harry Potter fans out there, I'm going to call him "Dobby", named after the house elf that sacrifices his life for Harry. He has a name but according to the foster mom, he doesnt know it and she never calls him by it and is sure renaming him will be fine.

#14 murphyanne

murphyanne

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:20 PM

Hello everyone,   I Love looking at this site and getting ideas for my Murhpy.  He is 6 months old.   I have a clean freak hubby who thinks we should cover all the sides of the cage with a plastic.   Doesn't like that poop could be shot out three feet when Murphy is  hanging on side of cage playing.   Anyone have ideas?    Thanks!

#15 GreyGyrl

GreyGyrl

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 03:04 PM

Hello everyone,   I Love looking at this site and getting ideas for my Murhpy.  He is 6 months old.   I have a clean freak hubby who thinks we should cover all the sides of the cage with a plastic.   Doesn't like that poop could be shot out three feet when Murphy is  hanging on side of cage playing.   Anyone have ideas?    Thanks!

Generally my quaker stops and squats to poop. So there isn't like a catapult of poo if she is hanging on the side or playing. She stops what she is doing to poop and literally squats. So in the cage it's not a problem. Outside of the cage we try to use a small towel on our shoulder so we don't have poo shoulders.

We are working with her to potty train too. If we notice the tell tale signs of her starting to squat i'll get her to step up and move her over a trashcan. Then i tell her Go Poop. And so far she has been doing well.

I'm sure others can chime in but the only big messes we really get (and they aren't that big) are when Rio goes to town with seeds or cheerios then she makes a mess. The other is her featehrs. She is molting (or ending her molt) so we have quite a bit of feathers randomly dropping everywhere. We have one of those little hand vacuums and we just do spot cleanups. So far our birds have been the cleanest pets! My husband prefers the birds over the dog, the dog sheds a lot (german shepherd) but the birds aren't too bad.

#16 Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 03:44 PM

I would be interested in hearing how one goes about successfully potty training a quaker!

#17 Gypsie&Tango

Gypsie&Tango

Adv Member

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:48 PM

Perhaps plastic isn't the best or first choice as you don't want to limit air or allow your bird to cook. I have a cage cover I made which covers the back and half one side of my Quakers cage and its made of fabric so that stops anything coming out and the other sides only get mess through them when they are on the outside of the cage!!! Good luck!

#18 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 08:39 AM

#19 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 09:06 AM

I have to agree with GreyGirl and Gypsie and Tango, please don't cover Murphy's cage with plastic. It sounds very dangerous. Soft plastic can be chewed and pulled into the cage to get tangled in and hard plastic could trap a foot between the bars and the plastic. Grapefruit seed extract in hot water is a safe and effective way to clean up poop in or around a cage. You can also put a drop in the water bowl to keep the water fresh longer. :)

#20 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 09:14 AM

I would be interested in hearing how one goes about successfully potty training a quaker!