MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Going On Vacation

vacation accommodation lone quaker

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 xxarmando

xxarmando

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:23 PM

Hello :) My name is Annette my husband and I have had our baby Luna for about a year and a half almost. Luna is our baby see's us everyday. She is in her cage about 9- 5.30 Tuesday - Friday and then on sat- Mon she is in her cage from 10- 2.00 and then she is out in our bedroom and around the house flying and hanging out with us. I am very worried because my husband and I would like to go on vacation for a few days about 4 days and we will be leaving luna at home. We live with my mother in law and brother in law who also owns two cockatiels and so she will have cage company with them because they are always together. She is going to be in her normal room yet she wont be out at all in those few days because we will be on vacation and she is aggressive with anyone who is not my husband and I. Her cage is currently 20 X 36 I was thinking of buying her a flight cage before I go so that she has a lot of room to fly and be free. I am very scared of her leaving and plucking or becoming lonely because she is very bonded with my husband and I. I am not sure what I should do anyone with advice on this situation or personal experience would be super helpful thank you so much :)

#2 cnyguy

cnyguy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:59 PM

As long as Luna gets some one-on-one attention while you're gone, it shouldn't be a problem that she'll be confined to her cage for a few days. She'll probably punish you for leaving her, but will forgive you pretty quickly.
  • Bene_Gesserit likes this

#3 LindeeV

LindeeV

Adv Member

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 04:34 PM

I'm not sure if buying her a new cage just before you go on vacation will help. Too many changes at one time might confuse her.

If you're only gone four days, she'll most likely be fine. You might have a few extra treats available for her caregivers to feed her, and perhaps a new toy or two to keep her busy.

Is there a t.v. or radio in her room? Maybe if she has music or children's shows to watch she won't be quite so bored and lonely.

Enjoy your vacation!
  • DebraH and Bene_Gesserit like this

#4 Bene_Gesserit

Bene_Gesserit

Adv Member

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:39 PM

I agree with everyone who has posted already. Most parrots that I know who started plucking do it if they are stuck at a kennel or similar while their people are gone. Since your QP will be home, she is in a familiar place. While she might not come out like usual, making sure that she has stimulation (tv or radio) and attention from the family members (even if it's just talking to her as they sit in the room/near the cage) should be fine. She might be a little miffed once you come home, but she'll get over it quickly.

#5 davmack

davmack

• New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 02:19 PM

Additional question on this topic, would it be more or less disruptive for our new (to us, 1 year old, we will have had him 3 weeks) friend to take him with us to the beach in a travel cage, or leave him at the house with our house sitter? The house sitter would pay attention to him but more than likely would not get him out for the week. We would get him out and he would have the family but he would not be in his home environment.

Help!?!?

Thank you,

David

#6 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 05:07 PM

I always used to take Shah with me when I went away.  He was sometimes a bit difficult to deal with - you had to know exactly why he was screaming - it was either, food, water, scritches, play time or bedtime.  Once you can figure out that, there isnt a problem.  I dont go away anymore as it would disrupt the animals too much (especially His Royal Highness).  I would be inclined to take him but others may disagree with me.

#7 JoeR

JoeR

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:38 PM

That question is not easy to answer regarding any individual bird.  They're all different when it comes to things that stress them.  I have a cockatiel now, and have had other birds in the past that loved travel in the car.  They also had no troubles being in travel cages, or smaller cages that we took on vacation.  Because of that, if we traveled by car the birds came with us.  Our birds that haven't traveled well got to stay home.  We just chose whatever was easiest for them, and us.  

Now, with 3 birds, we don't take them with us on vacation.  Our next door neighbor knows our birds well though, and she loves coming to take care of them, so it's not a problem for us to go away.

Joe