MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

My 13 Yr Old Quaker Has Cataracts So His Vision Is Not Good.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 birdylove

birdylove

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 06:02 PM

I can't afford surgery vet said he could still live a happy life. said not to rearrange his cage. He seems to "fall" off his playgym fairly often. He will just walk toward a voice to be picked up. he plays with only 2 toys. We have others but he pays no attention. He stopped taking baths a year or so ago. I spray him. He still eats good but always wants to bite and scream at anyone who comes near hjm! I feel bad as I work so many hours & am just plain tired. I know he is not getting attention, although he seems content except for the "falling" any suggestions on how I can make him more comfortable. We could never get him to talk and he never really liked plaing with his toys except for 2 or 3. My sister tells me I am a bad owner because I pay no attention to him, not totally true... I have had him since he was 3 months old. He likes when I "pick" at his feathers. He doesn't sound "normal" compared to others I read about. Is he normal?

#2 cnyguy

cnyguy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 10:34 PM

Sorry to hear that your parrot has cataracts. I've read of parrots on other forums who have had vision problems, and some that have been sightless since hatched, and they all do live good lives.

I'd recommend lining the bottom of your parrot's cage with some soft towels to cushion his falls. I'm sure you can find some inexpensive ones that would be suitable-- and washable.

Every parrot is different. Some really don't care to play with toys, some don't want any hands-on interaction. I would say that your parrot's personality is perfectly normal-- for him. Posted Image

#3 Bene_Gesserit

Bene_Gesserit

Adv Member

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 05:01 PM

I think the reason he's biting is because he can't see well and gets defensive. Perhaps there is a code phrase you could use before petting him to give him a heads up? I always say "Tickle tickle" to my QP before I try to pet her because she's defensive from being abused. Now that I say that every time, she knows what to expect and has stopped biting.

#4 Glenda5312

Glenda5312

• New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:00 PM

Birdylove,

Does he have cataracts in both eyes? My 13 year old Quaker has one in his left eye. I haven't heard from the vet how much it would cost to fix that. How much did your vet say? Also is there any natural way to help with cataracts?

Glenda