MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Happy Hut

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Sarah&Sonny

Sarah&Sonny

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 02:34 PM

I have heard all about these happy huts, and now that I have one my quaker doesn't like it. I have it on the corner of the cage floor, with one end up against the bars.
Should I have it some where else? Like not on the floor maybe? I just think it would be so cue to see her in it :) she does peek inside of it from time to time.

#2 msdani1981

msdani1981

Love My Pets :)

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 03:22 PM

Hang it from the top of the cage, parrots don't like being on the ground (they feel vulnerable). Give your bird some time to get used to it, Quakers tend to be afraid of everything at first. You can also put the happy hut outside of the cage, in sight, for a few days so your bird gets used to seeing it.

#3 Sarah&Sonny

Sarah&Sonny

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 08:39 PM

Thank you I'll try that Posted Image

#4 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 02:57 PM

My Quakers both sleep in theirs, but they had to get used to the sight of them first, and then when I hung them from the ceilings of their cages, they didn't start sleeping in them right away. Now Jade goes to bed on her own at 9 p.m. sharp every night (though she gets up a few times to squawk at the rest of us for keeping her awake, LOL) and when I tuck everyone in at night, Clyde hops into his with just his tail sticking out. One of my tiels has one, too, but he just uses it for a tunnel to play in.

#5 LindeeV

LindeeV

Adv Member

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 05:23 PM

My birds all LOVE their happy huts. If they're sitting with their face peeking out, they're just napping but "open for conversation".

If I see a tail sticking out, I know thats SERIOUS sleep time, and I'd better keep quiet and leave them alone. Posted Image
  • Sarah&Sonny likes this

#6 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:39 PM

Birds feel safest at the top of their cages. My bird didn't set foot on the bottom of her cage for weeks. Now she slides down the bars until her head hits the grate and she climbs back up and does it again. Aren't Happy Huts made to hang from the top of the cage?

#7 ittlbittlbre

ittlbittlbre

Adv Member

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 05:28 PM

My walle preffers the bottom of his cage for now. I assume its his age, but I keep his hut on the bottom of the cage.

#8 oowie

oowie

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 03:24 PM

what are these huts made of?

i think they are quit expensive and would like to make one myself.

is it only made of fabric, or does it also has solid sides and bottom?

#9 Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 04:28 PM

So, here was my compromise to the happy hut thing.

Mr P, when first came to the parrot rescue, had a happy hut. His foster mom was forced to take it out because he wouldn't come out of it. Ever. Except to grab some food. He was scared I guess. So, when I adopted him, the happy hut was gone.

Instead, Mr P sleeps in a food dish. I leave it empty, deliberately, put it in the spot his happy hut *was* in, highest part of the cage, and there he has slept for the last 6 months, since I've had him.

Recently, I have tried my hand at making playstands and toys and stuff. I decided to design Mr P a compromise between the happy hut and a regular swing, which he doesnt like. So, I used a piece of seagrass mat and some sisal rope and here is what I put into his cage this morning. He had the chance to look at it from his playstand all day. I put some of his favorite types of toys up there (homemade).

Here is what happened when I put him back in his cage for the evening.

Attached File  HeLikesIt1.jpg   666.34KB   1 downloadsAttached File  helikesit2.jpg   779.08KB   0 downloads

Honestly, folks, NO ONE is more amazed at how quickly he decided to cimb on that and actually SIT on it, than I am!

Edited by Sharyn and Mr Piggy, 23 June 2014 - 04:28 PM.

• Bene_Gesserit, Cindi&Jeriel and easttex like this

#10 Cindi&Jeriel

Cindi&Jeriel

Adv Member

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 11:39 PM

I made hut using plastic canvas as the base, wrapped fleece around that, and then made a tent shape. It's pretty easy.
Sharyn, did Mr P sleep on the new hammock?

#11 Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 06:57 AM

LOL Cindi, nope. He slept in his food dish. Guess he'll use the "hammock" (and yes, it does look like a hammock!) for resting, napping and chewing on his new toys.

I'm afraid the poop/sleep food dish is a permanent fixture. I guess I should be happy about it, he poops in that dish too, so it's all concentrated in one place.

Yeah, my bird is a little weird :)

• Cindi&Jeriel likes this

#12 Cindi&Jeriel

Cindi&Jeriel

Adv Member

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 10:04 AM

Mr P is a fun character!! tongue.png I wonder if he will play with foot toys if you put them up there. Ocho didn't seem to care about foot toys until I put them in his tool box. Now he will throw one out of the tool box and carry it to the top of the cage, which seems to be a fun game. Then when he gets to the top he drops it, yells at it hurries back to the bottom to put back in the tool box. Also a bit weird!!

• Sharyn and Mr Piggy likes this

#13 amschneider8

amschneider8

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:46 AM

I agree with the highest point of the cage, I don't think mine has ever touched the floor of his cage.  It is like 4' tall though.  I made mine out of faux fur.  Just take a rectangle and sew it into a tube with Velcro or strings embedded in the seam to attach it.  The ones I saw for sale had a cardboard base to hold it open which I didn't like for wash-ability.  I cut rectangles from a plastic milk jug or liter bottle and just sewed them right to the fabric with a sewing machine.  He sleeps in it every night and I have several because he does poop in them :/

• Cindi&Jeriel likes this