MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Where Does Your Quaker Sleep?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 lookame

lookame

Adv Member

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:25 PM

This is prob an odd question but where does your birdy sleep? Is it on a perch or a swing?

Lexi broke her leg when she about a year old. Its healed perfectly, she walks on it and uses it just fine but I guess having to stay on the bottom of her cage for so long did something to her. She likes sleeping up high and while she is napping shell just sleep on her cage door but when she goes into a deeper sleep she needs to be on a flat surface. We figured that oit when she chewed her happy hut off and we couldnt get to the store for a new one. The night she slept on her swing butt in the air and...fell. I got her a patio and now she sleeps on that. Anyway just curiois if anyone elses sleeps on a flat surface...? Or is lexi just weird?

#2 LindeeV

LindeeV

Adv Member

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:32 PM

Mine all sleep in their happy huts. Occasionally someone will sleep on their perch, but if they do that, they still want to be sitting next to their happy huts.

#3 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:38 PM

Clyde and Jade sleep in their happy huts. Benjy the budgie sleeps on top of his mirror, usually, which is flat enough, or on top of his cozy. My pigeon, in spite of what people will tell you about pigeons not liking perches, sleeps on a perch, even though she has a basket. The tiels sleep on perches -- Freddie and Johnny have favorite sleeping perches and Greta likes her swing. My starling has a sleeping perch, too. Before Jade had a happy hut, she slept on a swing, too. I didn't think she'd like a happy hut so it took me a while to get her one and she adores it. She's already destroyed one and is on No. 2, which so far she hasn't destroyed. LOL 

#4 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:41 PM

Shah sleeps in his happy hut in winter.  Right behind the back of the hut is a circular rope thingy (dont know what it is called) and a boing beside it.  In summer he sleeps on either the rope thingy or boing.

#5 Crazy4looney2n

Crazy4looney2n

Adv Member

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:29 PM

I just purchased two huts today because it's time that Ricky and Coco sleep in separate cages. They keep each other warm so I didn't want to separate them till I had a hut for each of them.

I hope they like the huts.

#6 cnyguy

cnyguy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:56 PM

Ralph usually sleeps on the braided fabric perch at the top of his cage. Once in a while, he'll sleep on the cement perch just below that one.

#7 Bene_Gesserit

Bene_Gesserit

Adv Member

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 04:55 PM

Another Happy hut owner here; Happy puts herself in it to sleep.

#8 Dana D

Dana D

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 08:06 PM

Betty goes right into her Happy Hut.  That is how I know it is time to shut off the lights, the party is over.  I was putting her in a "sleeper" cage when she first came home but she pretty much put a stop to that LOL.  

Edited by Dana D, 01 September 2013 - 08:06 PM.

• amschneider8 likes this

#9 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 01:48 PM

We tried having a "sleep" cage for Clyde and he put a stop to that, too. LOL That was back when he was our only bird. He resented leaving his cage for this foreign one that he never liked, even though he was ready to go to bed a couple of hours before we were. He still wanted to stay in his regular cage in the thick of things, and gripe at us for not being quiet enough. LOL You know what we did, don't you? We turned the TV down and the lights low and whispered to each other so he could sleep.

• ittlbittlbre likes this

#10 LindeeV

LindeeV

Adv Member

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 04:09 PM

We tried having a "sleep" cage for Clyde and he put a stop to that, too. LOL That was back when he was our only bird. He resented leaving his cage for this foreign one that he never liked, even though he was ready to go to bed a couple of hours before we were. He still wanted to stay in his regular cage in the thick of things, and gripe at us for not being quiet enough. LOL You know what we did, don't you? We turned the TV down and the lights low and whispered to each other so he could sleep.

Well, of course. What else could you possibly do?

laugh.png

#11 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 10:29 AM

Isn't it a pip how we rearrange our whole lifestyle for these little feathered dictators? laugh.png

#12 Aiber

Aiber

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 02:23 PM

Quaker owners. At what time do your quakers go into their Happy Hut to sleep for the night? Luigi is in his by 6pm. Does that sound early? Is that normal?

Edited by Aiber, 11 September 2013 - 02:24 PM.

#13 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 03:48 PM

My gang stays up until 9:30 if I'm home to tuck them in by then and as late as necessary if I'm not. Last night they griped because I put them to bed at 10:30 after a long, long, LONG work day. Jade usually calls it a day and puts herself to bed around 9 but she'll get up and be sort of sociable if I get home late, at least for a few minutes, but nobody else will go to bed unless I make them go. LOL They look like parrots but they're really owls in disguise. 

#14 Fig

Fig

Adv Member

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 04:08 PM

I put my babies to bed at 4pm...they get up at 6am.

Skye, my Quaker, likes to sleep on his perch or on his rope bong. My tiels sleep on their perch, so do my budgies.

My little Zebra finches sleep in their little nest basket.  They all quiet right down and go to sleep after a hard day of playing!

#15 LindeeV

LindeeV

Adv Member

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 04:34 PM

My flock goes into their happy huts after supper (around 6:30 or 7:00) but they aren't ready to go to sleep yet. They want to sit in their huts and watch a little t.v. for a while. They prefer Andy Griffith shows, Gilligans Island or I Love Lucy shows. They sing along with the tunes.....It's the parrot equivalent of watching t.v. in bed to relax before going to sleep.

I work a second shift, and get home around midnight. When I come in, I usually fix a little snack and read a book until I get sleep. Oscar always gets up and comes to sit by me for a little while, and shares my snack with me. The other two just open their eyes and chirp hello to me and go back to sleep. Oscar wants to stay up with me until I go to bed, then he goes right back into his hut.

#16 Aiber

Aiber

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 09:06 PM

That's all so fascinating! I have had Luigi for a month. He is still getting use to us and he is only about two months old.

Like I wrote before, he goes into his hut like at six and we don't see him again until morning time.

Also, I have read and heard that they are noisy. Well, Luigi is really quiet and pleasant. Actually, he learned quickly how to POOP on command!

#17 Bene_Gesserit

Bene_Gesserit

Adv Member

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:03 PM

That's all so fascinating! I have had Luigi for a month. He is still getting use to us and he is only about two months old.

Like I wrote before, he goes into his hut like at six and we don't see him again until morning time.

Also, I have read and heard that they are noisy. Well, Luigi is really quiet and pleasant. Actually, he learned quickly how to POOP on command!

If he goes into his hut that early, and he's sleeping, I'd cover most of the cage and leave him be.  He sounds young and all babies need lots of rest. He sounds precious!

#18 Aiber

Aiber

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 03:28 PM

If he goes into his hut that early, and he's sleeping, I'd cover most of the cage and leave him be.  He sounds young and all babies need lots of rest. He sounds precious!

Yes. Thanks for the advice. Once he is in his hut, we leave him alone.

#19 Fostermom

Fostermom

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 09:19 AM

Only had our little boy since 9/5/13, after reading about these happy hut I got him one. I wasn't sure he was using it as we cover his cage a night, but last night came home a little late and could see Sky? He had put himself to bed in his happy hut. This morning when I uncovered him he was still in there! What a sleepy head:-)
  • Bene_Gesserit likes this

#20 Oteyspeople

Oteyspeople

Adv Member

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:47 AM

Otey sleeps on a perch in the back corner of his cage, cuddled up next to a huge jingle bell dangly toy. He usually goes to bed by 9, but will occasionally want to stay up later. I just ask him if he wants to go to bed. If he answers in the affirmative, we tell him "night, night" and make kissing sounds. He'll make some sounds that indicate "night, night" and repeat the kissing.

Once we cover his cage (big, dark beach towels on 3 sides, the other side is against the wall), he settles right down. Occasionally we'll hear him at his food dish for a little evening nosh.

If we should wake him up with some clumsy human noise, he'll let out a reprimanding squawk, we'll apologize, and he'll make kissing sounds. That way we know we are forgiven. It's good to be the King...