MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Where Does Your Quaker Sleep?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 Christine N

Christine N

• New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 01:49 PM

• Jersey gets up and snuggles by his happy hut on a perch beginning at around 7. I haven't seen him actually get in it yet but I have only had it for a week.  Sometimes after I cover him, he will voice his opinon about something we say or he heard on TV. I just tell him "night night time Jersey" and he is back to sleep I guess because he quites down again.

#22 ittlbittlbre

ittlbittlbre

Adv Member

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:24 PM

Wall-e is usually a 9-10pm kind of a guy and he will let you know when it is time to shut your mouths and get out our living room lol.

We just cover his cage and that makes him very happy bc he will climb into his happy hut and make night night til I wake him up in the morning.

How do you guys clean your happy hut??

I've washing machined mine, but that'd be a daily affair and he wouldn't be able to use it every night as I don't put it in the dryer.

#23 LindeeV

LindeeV

Adv Member

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:30 PM

I was the happy huts about once a month, when I'm doing a Big Cage Cleaning on the patio. Wash them in the washing machine and dry them in the dryer till they're fluffy.....

In between the washings, I try to keep the poopies to a minimum, but Louie tends to make a little poop pile in hers toward one end.

Oscar and Charlie don't poop in theirs.....they are careful to back up and poop out the back door. wink.png

• ittlbittlbre likes this

#24 ittlbittlbre

ittlbittlbre

Adv Member

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:51 PM

Wall-e likes to poop on top of it. He broke the latches that held his hut high in the cage and we haven't replaced them so he poops mostly on top of it lol

#25 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 01:31 PM

Clyde used to poop in his and I would fold up a washcloth and put it in the floor of his "tent" -- that's what I call it to him -- because it was easier to wash than the whole happy hut. But he decided he didn't like having a "blankie" and tossed it on the floor every time I put one in there, so i stopped, and he stopped pooping in his tent. He backs out and hangs his bum over the edge to poop now. Jade never did poop in hers. She chewed a window into hers and got carried away widening that window until the whole side of her tent was chewed away. I bought her a new tent and she hasn't chewed a window in it. YET. Ringo poops on her tent and won't sleep in it, but I did see a poopy on the floor of it this morning, so she's at least been inside to explore. 

• amschneider8 and ittlbittlbre like this

#26 Bene_Gesserit

Bene_Gesserit

Adv Member

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 05:28 PM

I've tried washing Happy's a few times, but it seems like the ones I get must have cardboard in the bottom, and it never regains shape/stability.  Now, I scrape the dried poos out with paper towels every week or so, and replace the hut....4-5 times a year? Every few months when it is beyond help.

#27 heatherlh79

heatherlh79

• New Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 09:29 PM

I have been told that the happy huts helps to promote cage agression?  Is this not true?  I have one for my parrotlet but I took it out especially since it was summer and I thought she might be hot.  I have been planning on putting it back up for winter because I'm afraid she'll get cold.  I don't have one for my quaker but you guys all seem to like them.  My quaker, James Franco, is still in a sleeping cage right now in my bedroom but his big cage is in the living room.  So far he hasn't had any problems with the sleeper cage as he knows that's when it's bed time but he is only 14 weeks old too.  And I like the fact that he sleeps in my bedroom, this way I get to uncover him and open his door when I wake up and he seems happy to see me.  It only takes him about 2 minutes to leave the cage and come into the bathroom with me in the morning.  So i guess the happy huts aren't all that bad?

#28 Bene_Gesserit

Bene_Gesserit

Adv Member

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 07:42 PM

I'm not sure about the cage aggression issue.  My QP was super aggressive when we first got her (she had been stuck in someone's back bedroom and neglected/possibly abused.) She's much less aggressive than she used to be, and she seems to love her Happy hut.  It gives her a quiet place to retreat to when she's tired or overstimulated (in both those cases, she's cranky already, so I wouldn't mess with her anyhow.) I'm not allowed to touch any of her things (food/water dishes, toys, perches, or the hut,) but that seems to be an equal opportunity thing...if it's hers, she gets mad if I'm messing with it. I clean and service the cage when she's out of it, and that seems to work out fine for us both.

#29 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 04:01 PM

Nah, I don't think the happy hut makes them cage aggressive. Clyde doesn't care what I do to his cage if I leave his favorite toy alone. Jade used to be REALLY cage aggressive with no happy hut and has improved a lot on the front though she has a happy hut now. She really likes hers and goes in it for a (self-chosen) time out when she's had enough of the rest of us. LOL Freddie (a tiel) is cage aggressive even with other birds' cages if he happens to be in there playing when I want to clean and it has nothing to do with the hut and everything to do with his cheeky attitude. LOL

• Bene_Gesserit likes this

#30 Gizmobird

Gizmobird

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:53 AM

I just got an almost 4 year old quaker.  He is tame and sweet!  He sleeps hanging upside down from the top of his cage like a bat. lol  It is the cutest but gotten get a head rush from it.  

• Cindi&Jeriel likes this

#31 Aiber

Aiber

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 04:53 PM

My quaker never enters his tent.

#32 amschneider8

amschneider8

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:06 PM

Mine will climb into his hut too on his own sometimes, but he always sleeps in them.  I made his out of faux fur.  He does poop in them too so I made a bunch and have to switch them out to wash them.  I will have to try the paper towel thing, thanks.  Maybe I could just make some shorter ones otherwise so his butt is at the end.

#33 rubyxleo

rubyxleo

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 10:57 PM

my Quaker usually keeps on his food dish. haha

#34 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:44 PM

Freddie sleeps on his water dish and of course, poops in it. Every morning I have to change his water first thing. Greta sleeps on her swing and it's so cute the way she sits on her perch by the door until I get her cover out and put it on and then she goes to her swing. When I uncover everybody in the morning, Clyde pops his head out of his tent and squawks at me like I've disturbed him. 

#35 The Orchid Boy

The Orchid Boy

• New Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:24 PM

Petri, my Quaker, goes to bed when my orchid lights go out. So it depends on the season.

He sleeps as high up as he can on a perch, he never, ever used his happy hut, he finally chewed it up. Might try it again. He'd sleep with me in my bed if he could... He sleeps in his cage right next to my bed.