MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

I Just Made This Foraging Box

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Crazy4looney2n

Crazy4looney2n

Adv Member

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:43 AM

Hi, I just made this foraging box for Ricky and Coco. I put some nutraberries and a little fruit & seed treat mix inside plus some beads and foot toys and a shredded paper bag. I hope they like it. This will be their first foraging box so I know it may take a while before they investigate it.

Attached Files

#2 LindeeV

LindeeV

Adv Member

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:58 PM

That looks like a lot of fun. I hope they get interested in it and start digging around.

• Bene_Gesserit likes this

#3 Crazy4looney2n

Crazy4looney2n

Adv Member

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:29 AM

So far it's still being ignored.

#4 LindeeV

LindeeV

Adv Member

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 04:25 PM

Try opening the box and scattering a little of the treats around it....they may be confused because the box is closed and can't figure out that the treats are inside.

Once they figure out that the box has treats inside, and they get interested, you can try shutting one or two flaps, so they can partially open the box, and then eventually shut ALL the flaps, if they seem to be getting the hang of things.

#5 Crazy4looney2n

Crazy4looney2n

Adv Member

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 06:00 PM

The box has a huge hole cut into it. The box is closed in the picture and what you see as open is actually the hole I cut into the box. I'll give it more time, maybe I need to remove some of the shredded paper bag.

#6 cnyguy

cnyguy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:22 PM

I like your foraging box, but Ralph would take one look at it and sound the Quaker alarm call. biggrin.png It looks too much like the nasty cardboard box he had to be in when he came home from the pet store, and he hated  that box.

#7 Crazy4looney2n

Crazy4looney2n

Adv Member

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:25 PM

It does look like those boxes doesn't it? Mine came from a breeder ago they have never been in one of those boxes but they still won't go near it which is funny because they had no problem chewing holes thru the zupreme bags which are a lot bigger.

#8 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 10:31 PM

Really cute idea. I'm interested to know how long it will take for them to be overcome with curiosity. Harry has a two week rule for most toys and will avoid new foods until they have been offered repeatedly but sometimes she will seize a new toy or food like she can't believe it has taken me so long to offer it.

#9 Crazy4looney2n

Crazy4looney2n

Adv Member

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:47 AM

I'll keep you posted on when they get the courage to investigate the box.

#10 Oteyspeople

Oteyspeople

Adv Member

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:31 AM

I put a handful of clean hay in the bottom of the cage along with Otey's collection of stray feathers. He plays with both, although he has a couple of mobile toys he likes best. He also enjoys yelling at, then carting around, toilet paper tubes. I'll have to look into a foraging box--sounds like a good idea.