MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Zupreem Yellow Bananas

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Crazy4looney2n

Crazy4looney2n

Adv Member

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 06:53 PM

As I'm refilling the bowl and looking at these yellow banana pellets I had a thought that we should all band together and write to Zupreme so that they make a bag of pellets available for purchase which doesn't include any yellow banana shaped pellets. I mean most of our feathered babies don't eat the yellow pellets yet we are forced to *buy them since they are mixed in so we are getting less for our money since the yellow pellets end up as squirrel food.

Evelyn

Edited by Crazy4looney2n, 29 August 2013 - 06:54 PM.

#2 cnyguy

cnyguy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:29 PM

Ralph likes the yellow ZuPreem pellets, but will only eat them if I break them in half. laugh.png Lately, he's been ignoring the red pellets, which he usually will eat.

• Cindi&Jeriel likes this

#3 Crazy4looney2n

Crazy4looney2n

Adv Member

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:36 PM

I'm going to try and break them in half and see how it goes. Maybe that's the trick.

#4 lookame

lookame

Adv Member

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:30 PM

Lexi leaves them but stewart (indian ringneck) funny enough leaves the red and orange pellets and eats all the yellow banannas

#5 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:58 PM

Mine take spells of refusing certain colors, but Jade is on a yellow pellet kick right now and ignoring all colors EXCEPT yellow. My pigeon loves parrot pellets and eats any color, so it all comes out in the wash around here. Another reason having a whole flock is good! LOL The same goes for toys. I can buy whatever bird toys I want to buy, and somebody will like it.

#6 Crazy4looney2n

Crazy4looney2n

Adv Member

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:22 AM

LOL

#7 LindeeV

LindeeV

Adv Member

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 04:29 PM

Mine are still turning their beaks up at the yellow banana pellets, so I suppose I will have to start breaking them in half in order to entice my birds to try them.

....and this is what I've been reduced to....breaking bird pellets in half for picky little spoiled birds.....*sigh*.....blush.png 

• Cindi&Jeriel likes this

#8 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 10:04 PM

I wish my weird bird would eat ZuPreem pellets, any color. She would only eat seed when I brought her home. I introduced ZuPreem immediately, crushed, broken, soaked in apple juice or water. I tried every conversion method I could find. Her vet recommended a colorless pellet that she sells at her clinic. I've read that most commercial pellets are colored because they are more attractive to parrots. Makes sense to me. I bought the first tub of pellets at her office thinking the squirrels and wild birds will really like these pellets. By then I had figured out that Harry really loves attacking a fresh bowl of food. She has a couple of methods for celebrating. She sticks her head in the center of the bowl and moving in a circle kicks the food out with her feet, or she uses a banana chip to shovel food out of the bowl, or she calls the dogs and flings her food at them. Knowing she believes I always put the best food in the bottom, I crushed the pellets and put them on the bottom of the bowl and sprinkled her Rainforest harvest foraging mix on top of that. I knew it wasn't likely to work but Harry is full of surprises so I gave it a shot. First day I tried it she flung most of the seed mix in the floor, filled her beak, shook her head and let the pellet dust fall out of her beak. Then she tasted it and amazingly loved it. She gets just a teaspoon of rainforest mix now which is still great ammo but she is eating mostly pellets. Yes, I still crush them but I use a marble bowl and pestle that my Uncle gave me so at least I smile while I'm crushing them. I am picking up my Umbrella Cockatoo Tuesday and I hope for my family's sake and my own he isn't nearly as weird as Harry.

#9 Bene_Gesserit

Bene_Gesserit

Adv Member

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 12:27 PM

I was just re-reading a parrot book, and the author claims that parrots will ignore certain pellets because in the wild they'd learn to ignore poisonous or less edible foods. I'm not sure how much creedence to give that, but it had its own weird logic.

#10 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 12:43 PM

While the author undoubtedly knows his wild parrots, he does not know my particular spoiled and pampered princes and princesses. I firmly believe that mine ignore certain colors (and the next week, devour the ignored color and ignore the former favorite) JUST to mess with my head. biggrin.png

• Bene_Gesserit likes this

#11 Crazy4looney2n

Crazy4looney2n

Adv Member

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 06:44 PM

Harry sounds very smart, I mean to use a banana coo as a shovel. Harry really cracks me up, what a funny quacker.

#12 tampaclavin

tampaclavin

Adv Member

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 01:32 PM

Have you ever tasted the so called fruit? Hard fruit or dried fruit isn't even good for parrots....Why don't you get Kaytee Pro-diet--//Fortidiet! No sulfides in the dried fruit. I dare you to taste it. It tastes disgusting!!! If I can't eat it in a fruit, then neither can she. Those bananas are dried(sulfates) and disgusting. I dare you to taste it!

Chess, I'm going to give you ingredients for a cornbread/veggie mix--You have to make sure it is fully cooked into the bread.Your birdies will love it. My Angel has eaten it for 7 years. It is dry stuff first== 2 cups whole wheat...or regular flour, two cups cornmeal,4 tsp. baking powder, stir it then add liquids= lots of baby food of your choice--(usually sweet stuff), grated brocolli(or zucchini), grated carrots, 3 TBSP. safflower oil, 3 eggs, filtered water to thin it out--stir , mix in the 2 cups of pellets, stir again, it stays out for some of the day after you cook it and it rests-cook at 400 degrees for 1 hour in baking pan..let cool before freezing it--it doesn't take long to make, and if you put cinnamon in it as a preservative--Cinnamon is a preservative---it will last--cut it up, slice it, ziplock the pieces, freeze them--take out a small bag every other day or when you need it--microwave for 15 seconds, feed--It lasts almost a whole day because it is a bread. baby ate it for 7 years, now she sick of it--so have to find other ways to get her vitamins/minerals---human foods--ughh.

#13 LindeeV

LindeeV

Adv Member

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 06:11 PM

Oddly enough, mine won't touch the yellow banana pellets, but when I put out their frozen veggies in the morning, they head straight for the yellow corn kernels and eat them all, and then move on to the green peas, and eventually the green beans.....the nasty orange carrots get quaker cussed and then thrown on the floor.

When eating Zupreem, the reverse order happens - they go straight for the orange and red pellets, eventually nibble at the green pellets, and the yellow pellets get cussed at and thrown on the floor. Occasionally, when the pellets are particularly offensive, my birds will go all the way to the floor and cuss them some more and stomp on them.

Yeah, they're all wierd......

#14 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:01 PM

You gotta keep those nasty yellow pellets in their place or they'll get out of control.

#15 Steph

Steph

Adv Member

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:27 PM

I have 2 lovebird in the same cage and one pretty much only eats yellow bananas and one doesn't eat them at all so it works out good lol my qp eats them ocassionally.

I wanna convert all my birdies to the Zupreem natural where it's all one color but they don't sell it anywhere near me :(

#16 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:55 PM

My birds won't touch the natural color. They want the multicolored ones. And the natural color doesn't smell as nice, either. Jade has been on a yellow/green kick for weeks now and won't touch the red and orange ones. My pidge likes the red and orange ones, though, and won't touch the yellow ones (they're not pigeon food, but Maggie likes them for a snack anyway). I have to dump red and orange ones into Maggie's dish and refill Jade's even though she has plenty left because they're all the wrong color for her current obsession. LOL

#17 Simiesmom

Simiesmom

Adv Member

• Members
  • 475 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 10:48 PM

I emailed Zupreem last year, didn't get an answer lol.   I need green ones with just a few reds, yellows and oranges tossed in.  And for goodness sake NO scary purple ones, we don't touch the scary purple ones!

#18 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:21 PM

Jade has been on a yellow pellet kick for weeks. I have to keep refilling her dish because all the yellow ones are gone and that's all she'll eat right now. Occasionally an orange one. Yesterday I dumped her pellets into Clyde's dish and his into hers because he won't touch yellow and she won't touch anything BUT yellow. She ate all the yellow ones and went over to dig into his food this evening and she was mining for yellow and shoved the other colors aside.

#19 Guardian of Nero

Guardian of Nero

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:14 PM

My bird also does not eat the bananas!

But then I weaned her onto the natural colored pellets, and she eats those fine.

#20 CaptJacksMom

CaptJacksMom

Adv Member

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 05:07 PM

I agree wholeheartedly. Jack refuses to eat the yellow bananas and I get so frustrated throwing them away.