MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Lexis Cage Begining To Rust

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 lookame

lookame

Adv Member

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:46 AM

I have a substantial prevue hendryx cage for lexi. It's wrought iron with a playtop. It's pretty new around 1 and a half years old and purchased from a local pet shop. I've taken very good care of it ad the cage as a whole has never been cleaned outside or sprayed down with water(I use poop off to do all the cleaning ad it gets wiped off with paper towels). Anyway today I decided it was time to take it outside and do a complete power spray down with the hose. As I was spraying it down I guess some paint flaked off and showed some rusting in a few corners where it was welded together at. These are not heavily used areas either. I'm pretty upset this cage wasnt cheap. Now what do I do? I can't go out and buy a new cage for her and if I did I doubt shed be all for just switching cages. The only thing I am thakful for is the fact the rust is not in areas she can easily get to and eat...

On a different note I got lexi a new toy(a shoe) the last two toys shes shown no real interest in but the shoe she chewed on a little bit and now shes napping in her cage. Im thinking maybe she needs new, small toys she can chew on.

#2 ParrotOwnerToBe

ParrotOwnerToBe

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 02:52 PM

Well maybe it's just me, but rust doesn't sound very good. I'm definitely not an expert (getting my bird in a few months) but I have done a lot of research. My best advice to you is first, contact a vet. They should be able to tell you if it's bad for your bird or not. If there's rust already, then most likely it's going to spread. You may want to get a small cage to keep her in for now until you can afford a larger one, but if I were you, I'd be very mad. I'd probably call the pet store you got the cage from. They should replace it or give you some of your money back (at the very least). As for toys, I've heard Quakers enjoy destroying stuff (lol) so a shredding toy would probably be good, or some people that don't like to pay for toys that get ripped up, just put a toilet paper roll in there and sometimes fill it with shredded paper or tissues. If your making your own toy though, it's best to make sure what your using is safe. Scavenging toys are also good because it makes the bird work for a treat. You can put seeds or nuts in them but be careful not to put too many. Quakers are prone to Fatty Liver Disease, which I'm sure you've heard because lots of people talk about it. But Cheerios are a good choice if your bird likes them. There's plenty of videos on YouTube on how to make scavenging toys, or you could just buy them. Let me know how everything goes! Hope this helps! :)
I'm sorry I said scavenging its supposed to be called foraging toys hehe I got confused :)

#3 lookame

lookame

Adv Member

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:19 PM

Rust isnt good...which is why I am so angry. Its not the pet stores fault its the maker of the cage (prevue hendryx). Either way since ive had the cage for a yr and a half neither will do a thing about it. Ive read ways to stop rust but at a yr and a half I shoukd not have to stop rust. When you spend 200 bucks on a cage you expect some sort of warrenty above a 30 days return policy. Im so angry! I took precautions to ensure no rusting I mean I used poop off FFS no water and the cage sits in the living room no where around sunlight!

Lexi is my special bird. All she wants to do is sit on her door and nap, chatter or preen herself. Toys cause a lot of anxiety for her. She flips when a new toy is introduced and she refuses to touch them. Ive been trying to show her how to play with them and that toys are fun but shes just not interested. Like I said my special bird...cant entertain herself...

#4 ParrotOwnerToBe

ParrotOwnerToBe

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 05:12 PM

Yes, a lot of birds get scared of toys if they are introduced to soon. You can try hanging one near her cage and after a few days or so let her see it, but don't put it in her cage right away. Once she gets used to it, and plays with it when it's outside of her cage, then you can most likely put it in the cage with her. As for the rusty cage, that's horrible that the company won't do anything about it. You should only ever need to but one cage for your bird (with the exception of a travel cage) but that's insane. I really wish I could help with that. Maybe a hardware store could help. I think places like that may have a rust remover product. If they can get rid of the rust then there is a rust preventative. But you still have to make sure it's ok for your bird. I know it's really frustrating. I hope everything works out

#5 ParrotOwnerToBe

ParrotOwnerToBe

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 07:20 PM

And if Lexi doesn't like toys, it may not really matter. It could just be her personality that she's more laid-back.

#6 lookame

lookame

Adv Member

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 11:44 PM

Yeah she likes to just sort of hang out on her cage. She does a good job entertaining herself outside her cage (walks up and down her playtop shes clipped but she has enough flight to fly to a chair, naps, chatters ect) its getting her to be entertained INSIDE her cage that gets me. She just hates being in a cage...I dont blame her but theres only so much bird poop we can clean up. Today she did better about being in her cage and when I go to her cage and say night night she goes right in...then gives my puppy eyes as I shut the door. Shes a velco bird she sees me and its on!

Like I said though shes doing a littoe better each day. Chewing on shoe strings, hitting her disco ball napping in her cage...baby steps.

#7 ParrotOwnerToBe

ParrotOwnerToBe

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:43 AM

Yes, sometimes it takes time. But if she doesn't like her cage then that seems sort of odd to me. Because you give her plenty of outside-the-cage play time from my understandings. And I'm sure you haven't switched cages recently. Maybe she's just a weird bird :) if she's getting better little by little then that's how she learns so take things slow. And if she likes things to chew on I have heard of this type of plant that's weaves into a thick string. They sell it somewhere but I forget the name. Ill let you know if I find it, but you can tie little knots of it around their cage for them to chew. Plus, since they're small they aren't intimidating to the bird. I'll try to look it up :)

#8 rpraetor

rpraetor

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:56 PM

Rust is a way of life for all metal objects on this little island.  I live on a salt water lake that rises and falls with the tide each day.

So - as for your cage, the best bet is to clean off the rust, by sandblasting or with a wire brush and lots of muscle, then prime the newly cleaned surface with a  rust-oleum type of primer and then spray with a good high gloss enamel paint.  Just make sure that you give it a couple of days to cure before putting Lexi back inside.  Check out this web site:  http://theparrotuniv..._bird_cages.php

Attached Files

#9 msdani1981

msdani1981

Love My Pets :)

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 05:09 AM

rpraetor, is that where you live?  It's absolutely beautiful!

Excellent advice, too, by the way! :)

#10 cnyguy

cnyguy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 07:38 PM

This article that I found on avianweb.com might offer some help with your rusty cage problems:

http://www.avianweb....shingcages.html