MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Full Spectrum Light

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:08 PM

I'm going to give the birds a full spectrum lamp for Christmas. I have looked at Drs. Foster and Smith and they're horribly expensive and the bulb costs almost as much as the lamp. Surely I can find a cheaper option. Can  you buy full spectrum bulbs at a place like Lowe's or Menard's? Can you put one in a regular lamp? I want to get one for Ringo's room, too.

#2 cnyguy

cnyguy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:36 PM

I thought about getting Ralph a full-spectrum lamp too, but after reading so much conflicting information, I tabled the idea. Some experts say that only the full-spectrum bulbs designated as avian lamps are beneficial to parrots; others say that any true full-spectrum bulb is better than none. I've also read that the reptile-specific ones should never be used for birds. I did try a non-avian full-spectrum bulb, but the light it gave off was so harsh and glaring, I quickly took it away. Ralph tended to move to the darkest corner of his cage when it was turned on.

I don't suppose that's a very helpful answer. Maybe someone else can do better.

#3 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:24 PM

I had a supposedly full spectrum bulb in the light fixture in their room and as you say, it was too harsh. That's why I decided to get a lamp instead and that way they wouldn't be stuck with it all the time. I could put it over one of the play areas and put some treats there to tempt them to get a little exposure, but it wouldn't be the main light in the room as it was before.

#4 kholder

kholder

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 06:56 PM

I've been trying to research this as well.  I am somewhat confused. The best that I can tell "full spectrum" is the color casted, basically. Mimics sunlight in appearance.  But it is UV light that triggers vitamin D to form. So, I am coming up with needed a bulb/lamp with the following:

• Full Spectrum
  • UV
  • 1000 LUX or more

I have found Light Therapy lamps (for humans) that meet this criteria.  Lamp costs seem comparable to the pet lamps, but I am having trouble find costs of replacement bulbs...

#5 Bene_Gesserit

Bene_Gesserit

Adv Member

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 12:27 AM

Are there aquarium bulbs that are full spectrum?  I think there might be, and if there are, they wouldn't be as hot as the ones for lizards (which are meant to put off heat.)

#6 kholder

kholder

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:38 AM

I have aquarium lights out in the garage with an old fish tank. I know they were different than regular light bulbs because it was the type of light needed to actually grow plants in the aquarium. The ballast is removable from the tank hood and I was considering just plugging it in and placing it over the cage. It's true, they do put off heat, obviously, but they do not get hot. Glad you brought that up, Bene_Gesserit. 

• Bene_Gesserit likes this

#7 Bene_Gesserit

Bene_Gesserit

Adv Member

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 11:18 PM

YW.  Back when I worked at the pet store (decades ago) we used to try and find all the cheap ways around things because we were more concerned about the animals than a profit.  I worked for a great guy.

• kholder likes this

#8 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 12:11 AM

I found a lamp at Menard's for $30 and the bulbs were only $7.

• Bene_Gesserit likes this

#9 The Orchid Boy

The Orchid Boy

• New Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:29 PM

I have orchids and my bird's cage is next to the T5 and T8 lights. They are a combo of warm and cool white bulbs. Full spectrum. I don't worry about him getting light, just my orchids, he then gets a benefit too. Since he's not right under them they're not too harsh.

#10 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:32 PM

The lamp I found does the trick. The tiels especially seem to like it. It doesn't put out any warmth, but it certainly brightens up the room.