MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Please Help - I Am Torn...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Gypsie&Tango

Gypsie&Tango

Adv Member

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 12:01 AM

Hello, 

My name is Laura and I am owned by two quaker parrots, Gypsie and Tango. Both my fids are 3yo and were originally living in a largish cage inside (it seems to be huge in comparison to the min requirement) but they were always so active that I felt they needed more space. I managed to save and buy them a flight cage (2m x 1m x .9m)  which is kept in the backyard near the house. at first I only put them outside for the day and they slept inside but for the last 6 months they have been so happy to live in it full time that I let them (they come inside in bad weather). I have them out a lot and they have a HUGE tree stand I made for them in my office where I study and they play but I noticed that they aren't out as much now they live outside. 

my problem is: i have noticed yesterday that the outside cage is beginning to rust. I have bought cleaning products and am scrubbing it down with all natural products this afternoon but i am not sure how to stop it from just rusting up again... i am going to call my vet and ask about painting it but i am not fond of the idea... 

My other option is to buy a HUGE indoor cage and either keep it on the varandah or inside... but that is such a waste of this lovely big cage! 

also - what do you all think about having them live outside? I prefer them inside but they are quite opinionated about being out of the cage when inside and cannot be allowed under any circumstances to be left unattended cos they are sneaky little fids! 

thanks so much, sorry its such a long post!

laura, gypsie and tango!

p.s. gyspie laid her first two eggs last week and i do not want them to breed (tango is male) so it may be easier to regulate light etc in an indoor cage... just another thought!

#2 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 12:26 AM

My opinion is that they should be inside except you could put them in the outdoor cage for a while on warm days for some fresh air. I wouldn't leave them outdoors all the time. Too many bad things could happen.

#3 Gypsie&Tango

Gypsie&Tango

Adv Member

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 03:36 AM

I have just bought a Huge indoor cage - my husband agrees that they should be in a more central location with us :-) 

I agree that a lot can go wrong outside - they flew away once but i luckily got them back! thanks for commenting!

• Cindi&Jeriel likes this

#4 cnyguy

cnyguy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 08:58 PM

Rust really is a potential danger to birds, and it's difficult to get rid of it completely. Many paints are toxic to birds too. Having the cage powder-coated would be the best choice, but that's pretty expensive, and could cost even more than a whole new cage. I was given what was once a very nice large parrot cage by a neighbor who moved away, and no longer had a parrot. The cage was too rusty to salvage, and I ended up tossing it out. sad.png