MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

First: Do No Harm!

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 03:21 PM

http://i791.photobuc...zps72bc7fe0.jpg

Sparkle's Baby Album: Gotcha' Day November 30, 2013

Birthday present: the photo sent to my mom by text from the little girl's mother. Sparkle's first home after she left the breeder's. Photo taken at the party. The only photo of a healthy Sparkle.

Vet visit : December 3rd two photos taken at the office
Diagnoses: extreme starvation dehydration; overall health; very poor
Secondary symptoms; plucking and eating feathers to avoid starving
Fungal infection: fungus visible in feces
Treatment: rehydration,
Vitamin injection and liquid vitamins
Antibiotics: seven days of liquid drops-vital to recovery
Follow up: recovery cage, supervised diet, meds,
Basic necessities to sustain life
Hope, patience, love, understanding, persistence.....

Photos taken today: three photos: up close face shot and two more:
We sent these photos to the clinic today via e-mail. Impossible to commute due to icy conditions. The clinic is earning their fees long distance.
conditions downgraded to critical

The antibiotics are waging a war with the fungal infection that must be treated to save her life. Her health is so fragile her tiny body may not withstand the battle.

Blood work results: no signs of permanent damage to vital organs

Footnotes: pin feathers are trying to erupt all over the bare skin: no permanent follicle damage

Sparkle is still eating, she likes avi cakes and nutri-berries. She is too weak to move around much but she likes Mom's two little dogs and has flapped and fussed at them a bit. she loves the sound of the Rooster's crowing.
My mom is faithfully sitting with her, playing music while Sparkle listens intently to the lyrics. Sparkle listens to every word Mom says and chirps contentedly while she listens. The last couple of days when she sees Mom she clings to the side of her cage to get as close as she can. Mom's sleeping on the couch by Sparkle's cage.
Yes, she he is an angel. They both are.

Sparkle is getting a two hour, vet recommended humidity bath inside her cage. The only thing to be done for her skin condition, until she's better. Today is the last day for the antibiotic. This is the lowest point of her recovery, the vet says the odds may not be in her favor. We can't believe that. There is still a spark of life and miracles can happen.

I highly recommend Dani's method of personal well-being. Go hug your loves, all of them, for those you can't hug physically, stand as close as you can and sing or play their favorite song, the whole thing: Repeat

A very assorted group of birds are weathering the ice storm in my back yard. I'm keeping a supply of fresh water and a heavenly batch of goodies for them. There are three starlings beating the crap out of all the other birds, including the blue jays. The birdie bread belongs to the starlings. I've been watching them though the window in my bird's room with my puppies in the window seat.

An R.N. allowed this to happen in her home: her family watched.

That's all I have for now. I can't say: the persons responsible for this despicable act of cruelty should be drug through a pasture of mesquites and cactus, tied behind a rodeo horse with a good rider. An inflammatory remark like that might offend and isn't acceptable on our forum.

For once Harry's favorite naughty words are completely appropriate.

Edited by Allee, 09 December 2013 - 03:28 PM.

#2 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 04:16 PM

If you have a Tellington Touch practitioner in your area, contact them.  Or else, go online and do a crash course in the TTouches.  Very light circular touches where she can tolerate them.  If she doesnt want to be touched you can do the touches with a feather.  Very important for your mom to relax when she is doing them, so a deep breath before starting will help relax them both.  With the index finger and a light touch start at 6am, slowly move to 9pm, hold for a split second and move on to the next circle.  Touches start from the top and  move down towards the ground, however, any touches will help at this stage and it doesnt have to be so formal.  If it is Sparkle's time to pass over, then she was very lucky to have found your mom.  However, dont give up - keep fighting.  Miracles can and do happen.  Sending hugs and prayers to Sparkle, your mom and you.

#3 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 04:22 PM

Budgies are tough little birdies. If she's still interested in things and chirping when your mom talks to her and she wants to eat, she's probably going to make it. The vet wants you to be prepared just in case, but to this bird mommy, those sound like good signs of a bird who wants to live and is going to be fine. Not to say it won't be a tough road, but when Bonnie was in her final illness, she stopped making noises and stopped caring about attention and she didn't want to eat. Sparkle's got a lot of time to make up for with a family who loves her and treats her well and I doubt she wants to miss out on THAT. 

#4 LindeeV

LindeeV

Adv Member

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 05:34 PM

This makes me cry I'm so happy for Sparkle. She finally has light and sound and love around her, and your mom has been a true friend to her.

I'll be sending up prayers for her.

Lindee

#5 Cindi&Jeriel

Cindi&Jeriel

Adv Member

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 06:47 PM

Best Wishes to Sparkle, for her continuing recovery. Love and prayers to your mom.

#6 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:04 PM

Jeri,
For a fellow big bird lover, I have a feeling that years down the road you will refer to Ocho as your first bird love or your teacher. You made an adult decision. But when you are ready, and you'll know, if a cockatoo ever knocks on your door, let him in.
http://i791.photobuc...zps9c734174.jpg

Popeye's album.
He's a big lovable goof. They need big cages. He can scream like a jet engine, he seldom does. He's afraid to get too far from his cage yet, but he's up to five feet away if he's in his comfy chair. He climbs like a monkey and hangs by one foot and looks at you to see if you're impressed. He tumbles, dives, or launches himself from his balcony into my arms for a cuddle. He doesn't know he can fly so he always checks to see if I'm ready to catch him. I always am. He likes to be picked up and held like you would hold a puppy. He's like cuddling a big white chicken with a large container of baby powder shaken over his feathers. He has a beautiful, goofy inside voice. He says, By by pie-de-pie, and, "Hello, Pop pop pop pie". He also says, "What are you doing?" and Mama's bird. He has a three pronged beak. He's never used it on me. Not once. He loves almonds and can crack the shells in his beak, then he puts his face close to the almond and clicks his beak before he eats it. He loves puzzles, we're designing a foraging tree for him.

Sparkle still has a great chance to live a long happy life. She's only my second experience with that kind of abuse and I'm not taking it well. But her story is just one. And no matter what happens, it is a success. She knows people love her and are fighting with her. Sometimes you get to choose the bird, like your Ocho. Sometimes the bird chooses you. They all have a story. The really terrible, and the truly wonderful. But most aren't either one, they are somewhere in between. They are all special. I hope I haven't said anything to discourage a future rescue artist. Popeye is here because I lost a battle with my son, the ultimate rescue artist. He couldn't keep Popeye himself, so he brought him to Mom. He checks on him constantly.

#7 Cindi&Jeriel

Cindi&Jeriel

Adv Member

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:22 PM

Allee,
When I grow up I want to be a zoologist or a veterinarian. I have always had a soft spot for all animals and I want to help as many as I can some day. I would love to rescue birds and try bigger and smaller ones. Maybe I will have my own bird and animal sanctuary some day! biggrin.pnglaugh.png I hope so!!!

Jeri

#8 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:39 PM

Jeri,
I'm sure that you will be successful, no matter what path you choose. Ocho has stolen more than your homework hasn't he?

Pursue all your passions, Little Sister! :) :)
Allee

#9 Cindi&Jeriel

Cindi&Jeriel

Adv Member

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 10:08 AM

Allee, Thank you! And yes, he has stolen much more than my homework. tongue.png Jeri

#10 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 08:53 PM

Any news on Sparkle?

#11 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:38 PM

She's hanging in there. She's a little fighter. Another really quiet day. She's still on her perch and still chirping a bit. I got to visit her today. She's a sweet little girl. I took her a care package. A mirror and some perches and a couple of toys, some chamomile tea and a mist bottle. I took her some different feed cups and she went right to the red one. She has eaten more today. I hope she wakes up singing in the morning.

#12 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 03:15 AM

Sounds like she is stabilising and has a very good chance of making a full recovery.  Sending prayers Sparkle's way - hang in there little budgie girl smile.png 

#13 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 07:21 AM

Mom called late last night, she called to tell me
Sparkle had a fit after she added the new stuff to her cage and gave her a mist bath. Sparkle was attacking herself and screaming and flapping her wings. After she calmed down, she tried all her different perches. Mom was worried about the mist bath upsetting her. 😜
I told her I was delighted!!! I think Sparkle just had her first tantrum. She was just letting you know she has an opinion and someone is finally there to listen to it. I think she is getting better! 😃

Edited by Allee, 11 December 2013 - 07:25 AM.

#14 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:05 AM

Hooray! You can't keep a good budgie down. That's a good sign! When budgies are having temper tantrums, they're on the mend. You wait and see. Sparkle's going to be just fine.

#15 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:31 AM

YAAAAAAAAAYYYYYY!!!!!
I asked you to share this heartbreaking story from my over emotional artist's point of view! For all of you that couldn't look away! Thank you!!!
You guys:

WE GET TO WIN THIS ONE!!!!!!!

Sparkle had to wait for her care package until yesterday because of the storm, while she was so ill. Finished with the antibiotic.

She's chirping her little brains out and kissing the birdie in her new mirror. She sends her sincere thanks for the great advice and sweet wishes.

#16 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 12:33 PM

We'd all like to see updated photos once she's all better and ready for her close-up, and if you'd like to show us pictures of her progress in between, I for one would like to see that, too. We're all vested in her well-being now! 

#17 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:58 PM

I will!!! I can't wait to take happy pics while she's getting better. I hope pretty soon, we can post photos of her in her Birdie dream house. I hope she will be as happy as your betas and snails are in theirs!!!! :) :) :)

#18 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 03:57 PM

One of my snails is mad at me because I almost dropped him while changing their water a couple of days ago. Ever seen a snail pout? It ain't pretty. angry.png

#19 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 05:19 PM

Wow Allee, you have made my day.  Hugs and kisses to Sparkle - what an amazing little girl.  And she wouldnt have been able to do it without the love and support from you and your mom.  As Siobhan says, sick budgies do not have tantrums smile.png

#20 LindeeV

LindeeV

Adv Member

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 06:54 PM

This is GREAT news! She's feeling good enough to be MAD about things. And secure enough to express her opinions!

Thanks to you and your mom, Sparkle is gonna have a great life. She sure landed in a wonderful family.

smile.png