MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Sparkle Is A Pretty Bird

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 07:45 AM

http://i791.photobuc...zpsb53f559e.jpg

Watching Sparkle recover is remarkable!!! Her favorite spot to sleep is right in front of her mirror. She is still sleeping a lot, but every day she has a little more energy. She loves music and my Mom. The swelling around her eyes is completely gone. Her bare skin looks normal now instead of inflamed. She gets so excited when we talk or sing to her. She chirps to music and with the wild birds. I made her angry taking her picture and the she threw a little temper fit!! :) :) :)

#2 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 09:50 AM

Awww, that's terrific news! She does look good. Give her a month and she won't be the same bird. She'll probably start bossing your mom around any day now, if she hasn't already started.

#3 msdani1981

msdani1981

Love My Pets :)

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 04:14 PM

YAY!!!!!!  Happy Holidays to everyone who has been praying for Sparkle's recovery!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#4 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 06:11 PM

What a special bird.  She is gorgeous.

#5 cnyguy

cnyguy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 11:14 PM

Yay, Sparkle! She's making great progress. smile.png

#6 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 08:57 PM

Okay, I cant hold it in any longer - how is Sparkle?????

#7 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 08:21 AM

She's eating and chirping and getting a little more energetic every day. Unfortunately she's using most of her energy to pluck her feathers. She had a really bad day yesterday. This is all new for Mom and she's convinced she is doing something to cause it, a perch in the wrong place, the new food is upsetting her, she doesn't like the tea or the aloe mist.

I think under the circumstances, Sparkle is making an amazing recovery. She has been plucking for a long time, she isn't going to stop immediately, or maybe for months, or maybe forever. I'm trying to get both of them to relax and drink their tea. :)

Sparkle's swing with bells came in at the pet store and she hopped on it as soon as I put it in her cage. She moved to her perch and started attacking the bells, which caused the swing to bump her, which caused Sparkle to have an all out temper fit. :) When Sparkle hears the chicken's crow, she stretches her neck and chirps and chirps.

So to answer your question, I think Sparkle is doing great. My mom, maybe not so well.

#8 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 12:09 PM

Awwww. Poor little girl, probably she hasn't adjusted yet to the idea that food is plentiful and she doesn't need to pluck anymore. Or it's a coping mechanism or ingrained habit. Temper tantrums are wonderful and so is her willingness to play with toys. It sounds to me as if she's doing fine!

#9 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 03:28 PM

I agree with Siobhan, the plucking may be a habit.  It is hard to know whether she will stop or not at this stage.  It is very important for your mom not to get stressed out about it.  She is doing nothing wrong - Sparkle is still adjusting to a new environment.  Budgies are feisty little birds and Sparkle has bounced back amazingly well.  If your mom is tense, Sparkle will pick it up.  So, mom to increase the intake of camomile tea she is drinking to settle her and just go about her business without worrying about Sparkle.  Shah does not like to be misted but I make a game of it and he co-operates.  Everything should be fun and laughter - no serious stuff.  Maybe cut down the misting for the time being until Sparkle settles down a little more.  If she is able to handle Sparkle, maybe a little bit of birdy massage might help them both.  I love massaging Shah - we both relax - sometimes I start to doze off and he bites me to wake me up. blush.png

• Cindi&Jeriel likes this

#10 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 08:59 AM

Thank you, both! I agree entirely. I've told Mom she needs to focus on the positive. Birds are empaths, they pick up on our emotions and it effects them.

Sparkle has been through so much. I'm sure everything is confusing for her. I've seen her play and respond to her new environment. I think she's doing just fine. Every time I see her I'm amazed at how much better she looks.

My Mom tends to get caught up in the moment. I'm doing my best to convince her to forget about the plucking for now and give Sparkle the time she needs to adjust to her new life. I attached a bowl for bathing on the inside of Sparkle's cage and she's used it a couple of times, so no reason to use the mist bottle for awhile.

Mom is trying very hard, too hard I think. She's read volumes about plucking. I told her to put away the books and play with the bird. I told her to read articles about massage and touch therapy. I used massage therapy for a St. Bernard with severe arthritis. I learned the technique from a vet I worked for. It did wonders.

#11 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:28 AM

Budgies are not big on being touched anywhere except their beaks. Poor Benjy, he has to put up with Mommy petting his head and kissing his back and he does NOT like it. LOL But I think you're right that what Sparkle needs more than anything is interaction with your mom. If she could work on teaching her to step up and to sit on her hand or shoulder, and talk to her a lot and spend time with her one on one, that will probably do more for the little girl than anything else. Budgies absolutely LOVE attention.

#12 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 10:10 AM

Mom doesn't know it, but she's making progress every day. I don't see Sparkle on a daily basis so it's more obvious to me. She had to hold Sparkle to give her medicine every day, she made it as quick and painless as possible. Sparkle's skin is still inflamed so she doesn't like to be touched at all, understandably. She will hop on Mom's hand for just a minute or two now. :)

Zeke's not a parakeet but he is a shy guy. He acts like he's never been handled. He doesn't like having his head kissed but now he runs to the edge of his balcony and lowers his head so I can give him a kiss and get it over with. I was wearing earrings yesterday and he played with them for ten minutes from his balcony. He still won't sit on my shoulder but I expect him to any day. He doesn't bite hard and has never drawn blood. If I wore those earrings around Harry I would have to have my ear re-attached. :(

#13 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:43 AM

I know that feeling. I've pretty much given up earrings AND necklaces thanks to birds who can't resist grabbing and yanking, and I'm also afraid of some small piece coming off and ending up in their crop. My starling will grab something and try to leave with it, even if it's attached to me, and then peck me thoroughly because she can't get it off. 

#14 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 10:57 PM

I'm not sure why jewelry makes Harry so angry, but it does. She loves to play with buttons or strings or zippers on my clothes, but jewelry infuriates her. I have long hair and if I don't put my hair up, I get beat up for that too. Sometimes I feel like I should wear combat clothes before I open Harry's door.
You said Ringo tries to leave with your jewelry. Does she take things to her cage?

#15 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 09:58 AM

Her favorite place to take things is the top of the door to her room. She has both a regular door and a screen door (yes, on an interior room, LOL) so we can leave the door open but she can't get out and the dogs can't get in. So her favorite perch is the top of that door. She's also fond of the curtain rod and the mirror on my dressing table. When she grabs something, she usually zooms to one of those spots with it because they're up high. She got into a jewelry box once (a box with a hinged lid that I didn't realize she could lift!) and scattered stuff all over the room, dragged a few things under my chest of drawers, under her cage, behind the cabinet that holds my music books ... I think I found it all eventually, but it wasn't easy. She's a crow in a starling suit.

#16 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 07:30 AM

I wondered about that!! She's a very cool bird. The three starlings that were visiting the back yard feeder during the really nasty weather have moved on. I miss them, but I don't think the other wild birds are too broken up about it.

#17 cnyguy

cnyguy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 08:33 PM

Much like the crows, the wild starlings are often attracted to shiny or brightly colored objects. During the summer, I saw one of the starlings that visits my feeders walking around with a piece of a foil gum wrapper in her beak. biggrin.png A few years ago, I watched as a starling tried to remove some bright yellow plastic beads from my neighbor's wind chime, but the bird eventually gave up when they refused to come off.

#18 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 08:44 PM

Ringo is fascinated with everything. She's the most curious creature I've ever known. She loves to sit on the snails' tank and peer in at them (they don't seem to notice or care, but it's a good thing I knew their tank needed a lid!) She always wants to help me practice the piano and the flute. She helped me wrap some of the Christmas presents. LOL Her latest thing is to stand very, very close to my face and talk to me. She didn't used to talk at all if she thought I could hear her. Now she wants to show off. It's the cutest thing. She even let me kiss her yesterday. 

#19 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 09:08 AM

What better help could you ask for? I bet she is a joy to live with. I'd like to see her studying the snails, it's good they don't mind and have a cover. Is she still saying new words?

#20 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 11:31 AM

I don't understand much of what she says, really. I guess at it by the cadence of the words and knowing what I say to her. She can say "who's my baby?" pretty clearly and her name. "I love you" is pretty garbled, but she always follows that with kissing sounds so I know when she's saying that. I suspect the new thing is "Mommy loves dat baby" because it has that many syllables in it and I've been saying that to her a lot.