MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Spike And Sparkle

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 08:55 AM

http://i791.photobuc...zpsumskkuek.jpg

A couple of weeks ago my mom and I were in a pet shop that had a flight cage filled with English parakeets. I told her when Sparkle was feeling better she could get her a friend and call him Spike.

This past Tuesday, after two terrible days of watching Sparkle pluck almost incessantly, out of sheer desperation, my mom went out and bought a friend for Sparkle. I had several really hectic days of my own and didn't hear about it until it was done. It's a good thing, I would have told her it was a bad idea. Shows what I know.

Sparkle has stuck to Spike like Velcro. She follows him all over the cage and repeats his every action, including trying every new food he's offered and playing with toys. She chirps to him constantly and hasn't picked at her feathers at all. She seems fascinated with him, even more so than the bird in her mirror. Spike is delighted with the whole situation. He's a very happy guy.

Now Mom will have to take both birds in for a vet check to make sure the fungal infection is gone but it will be well worth it. :)
  • Bene_Gesserit likes this

#2 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 11:21 AM

Awww, how sweet. Our vet told me to get Bonnie a "buddy" (that would be Benjy the Budgie Brat). Budgies are social and are often happier when they have other budgies to hang out with. Though Benjy is happy to hang out with his hero Clyde since Bonnie passed on, he and Bonnie were practically Siamese twins. I'm glad Sparkle has a roomie and has stopped plucking. This might be just the medicine she needed.

#3 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 06:14 PM

That photo was gorgeous.  What a great idea to get Spike.  That has made my day smile.png

#4 cnyguy

cnyguy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 08:36 PM

A big welcome to Spike! smile.png Maybe a feathered friend is just the thing to help Sparkle recover from her previous neglect and terrible environment.

Edited by cnyguy, 22 December 2013 - 08:37 PM.

#5 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 10:48 PM

Thanks everyone!!! They are so cute together. Spike has played with every toy in the cage and eaten out of every food dish. Sparkle follows Spike and imitates everything he does. She is eating pellets now too. Mom has an extra cage just in case, but I don't think she'll need it. Sparkle has a few new feathers just starting to come in under her wings. Spike likes to be misted and Sparkle gets in on that too. Now Sparkle has someone to talk to all the time.
  • Bene_Gesserit likes this

#6 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 11:46 PM

Most budgies are interested in toys and not afraid of new ones, unlike Quakers, so he'll be a very good example for Sparkle. I don't think I've ever given Benjy a new toy he didn't like, plus he likes the big birds' toys and he even eats the Quakers' pellets though they're far too big for him. He just breaks them into smaller pieces so he can eat them. He also eats the tiels' food. He uses perches that are too big for him. He's a budgie -- if he wants it, it's HIS. LOL So Spike will be good for Sparkle and I'm glad she likes him. And he'll keep her busy so she won't think about plucking, and she'll be inspired to keep up with him, so her healing will probably accelerate amazingly now.

#7 msdani1981

msdani1981

Love My Pets :)

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 02:46 PM

Oh my, you brought tears to my eyes. :) I'm soooo happy to read this, and thrilled for Sparke and Spike! :D

#8 LindeeV

LindeeV

Adv Member

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 05:45 PM

Oh! Merry Christmas to Sparkle and her new friend, Spike!!! I think Santa has been VERY good to both of them this year.

And your mom has birdies in the house. Good for her!

Lindee

#9 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 04:54 AM

Any updates on Sparkle and Spike?

#10 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 06:59 PM

Lindee,
My mom loves having birdies in her house. :) I'm happy for her and Spike and Sparkle.

Jan,
Mom wouldn't let let me take new photos! :( She said it would upset Sparkle. :)
They are doing great though. Sparkle is still having her little plucking episodes, but not nearly as often, now that Spike is there to distract her. They are so cute together. Sparkle follows Spike all over the cage like a puppy. If he rings a bell, so does she. They play together, eat together, chirp together and kiss each other. They have an appointment with the vet this coming Friday. I expect good news.

Spike is a natural born toy lover, he plays all day, every day. :)

#11 Cindi&Jeriel

Cindi&Jeriel

Adv Member

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 07:33 PM

This is GREAT news!smile.png I'm so happy for Sparkle and Spike! I hope that Sparkle's interest in Spike eventually leads to her abandoning her plucking all together. I love that in true mother hen fashion, your mom prohibited upsetting the baby. tongue.pngThat's sweet!