MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Skye Has A Broken Leg

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Fig

Fig

Adv Member

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 03:04 PM

My little guy has broken his leg. When I got him up Monday morning, I saw that he was lame. I immediately called our vet (we have an excellent avian vet--in fact, there are 2 in that office). There was no way that I could get him in that day--they were booked solid, and couldn't see him until Thursday (stupid holidays!).

So yesterday, in the midst of a snowstorm, we drove to the vet's office, which is a fair distance. Dr. Hall, who is very nice and wonderful with the birds, examined my little boy and took an ex-ray. He showed it to me and explained what was what. He put a splint on Skye's little leg and sent us home with pain medication and an appointment in 2 weeks.

I've been hand feeding Skye as he can't/won't eat. Today he seems a little better. The task is to keep him from chewing the tape on his splint! Right...

Poor baby....he's such a good bird, so sweet and funny. He's stopped talking since this happened. I hope he starts again soon...I miss his funny little voice.

#2 Cindi&Jeriel

Cindi&Jeriel

Adv Member

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 03:30 PM

Poor Skye! I hope he feels better soon.

#3 LindeeV

LindeeV

Adv Member

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 04:59 PM

Oh, that's awful. Give him extra treats to make him feel better! smile.png

Do you know how it happened?

#4 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 05:23 PM

Awww, poor baby. What he needs is extra attention and kisses and I'll bet that will make him feel better. 

#5 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 06:15 PM

Hope Skye gets better soon.

#6 cnyguy

cnyguy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:07 PM

Sending Skye some get-well wishes.

#7 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:13 PM

So sorry for Skye. Get well soon.

#8 msdani1981

msdani1981

Love My Pets :)

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 03:03 AM

Sending good, positive, healing thoughts to both Skye and you!  Good luck! :)

#9 Kiwi is Very Green

Kiwi is Very Green

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 03:22 PM

Poor little guy! Sounds like you're taking great care of him, though.

#10 tampaclavin

tampaclavin

Adv Member

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 12:28 PM

HEY! I'm Christine. My baby broke her foot too and she also had a splint for about 5 weeks. She had to stay in her small, carrying cage......for 5 weeks. I had Teresa Lightfoot--one of the best take care of her. It was expensive.....but the other vet broke her foot by trying to remove her metal anklet bracelet.. BAD MAN! So, we had to pay an arm and a leg for the splint, antibiotics, and pain fluid. lol..Anyways, I used to cry, because she wouldn't talk either then. She would just get depressed and I would cry all the time and try to hold her....but -in no time she was a happy camper..happy camper..back to herself. It is a hard time for both of you I'm sure..be careful when the splint is removed..don't let her climb right away--make her go to sleep in a happy hut first...so she can get used to her leg again..cause they can fall again and get hurt again..sometimes you have to wait another extra week.. I hope he isn't too depressed..play fun music for him.

#11 Vikinggirl

Vikinggirl

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 01:12 PM

Aww I'm sorry you're going through this with Skye. I hope he heals quickly and feels better soon. Sending hugs, love and prayers for your little guy.

#12 Fig

Fig

Adv Member

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 02:42 PM

I have a wonderful avian vet...two, actually..and Skye had a complete recovery.  Little imp is back to his old self, full of mischief and talking a blue streak!