MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Sparkle Is Learning To Be A Real Bird!

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 10:33 PM

Just wanted to let everyone know, Sparkle had a second vet visit a few days ago. The fungal infection is gone. Her weight is still below normal but that's to be expected. Spike is fine too. He didn't really need an exam, but Mom took him to make Sparkle more comfortable. :) They did do a fecal exam to make sure Spike didn't catch Sparkle's fungal infection and his test results were clean. Sparkle doesn't have to go back until three months from now.

I actually think they are getting to know me. They chirp and get very excited when I visit.

They are adorable together. They chatter to each other constantly. Sparkle doesn't play nearly as much as Spike, but that's understandable and she is catching on. She still has severe attacks of plucking but overall she seems like a different bird. The vet has helped Mom to understand Sparkle's plucking and deal with it in a positive way. Mom adores both birds, I'm so happy she has them. She still won't let my take photos, so you'll have to trust me until I can sneak around and take one. :) Thanks again for all the prayers, support and kind thoughts.

My Mom has one of the most beautiful Persian cats I've ever seen and he has the temperament of an injured grizzly bear. I wasn't worried about him bothering the birds, he's too fat, lazy and ill tempered to go after them. She doesn't feel that way. She's banished him from her living area where the parakeets are unless she's right there to make him behave. :)

#2 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 11:34 PM

Thank you so much for the update on Spike and Sparkle.  I often think of Sparkle and am so pleased she is doing so well. 

• Allee likes this

#3 Cindi&Jeriel

Cindi&Jeriel

Adv Member

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 12:39 AM

How exciting! Sparkle landed in the right family! I can't wait to see the little friends!

• Allee likes this

#4 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 01:18 PM

Budgies are so much fun, and two is twice the fun. I'm glad Sparkle's doing so well!

• Allee likes this

#5 LindeeV

LindeeV

Adv Member

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 05:25 PM

I love hearing Sparkle and Spike stories. I'm so glad they've become friends and have Mom as their Guardian Angel.

Oh, and you as their Publicity Agent!!!

Keep up the stories! smile.png

• Allee likes this

#6 cnyguy

cnyguy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:07 PM

Glad to hear that Sparkle has made such good progress and that she and Spike are doing so well. smile.png

• Allee likes this

#7 msdani1981

msdani1981

Love My Pets :)

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 01:32 AM

Oh, this makes my heart happy!!!
  • Allee likes this

#8 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 03:37 AM

Any updates on Sparkle's progress?

#9 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 10:33 AM

http://i791.photobuc...zpsde6d6em5.jpg

Yes!! I do have an update!!! I took these photos Saturday. Spike and Sparkle are doing so well. Spike is a happy outgoing little fellow. He adores my mom and whispers and chatters to her every time she gets close. When any noise or situation frightens Sparkle she gets as close as she can to Spike and sticks to him until she feels better. Her cere is completely healed. Her feathers and skin have improved so much and she's gaining weight. We are very grateful to Spike for making Sparkle's recovery so much easier. :) :)

Edited by Allee, 20 January 2014 - 10:48 AM.

• Cindi&Jeriel likes this

#10 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 11:34 AM

Having a happy, normal buddy and the love and attention of you and your mom, too, have undoubtedly helped Sparkle to put the past behind her. I'm so glad. 

#11 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 03:13 PM

She looks fabulous.  Thanks so much for the photos.  It is such a heartwarming story that could have ended up quite the opposite.  Say "hi" to your mom - what a great person.

#12 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 03:32 PM

(Trade "sparrows" for "budgies," LOL) Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground outside your Father’s care. 

And from MLK Jr.: "Never, never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way." - MLK

#13 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 09:05 PM

Thank you, Ladies! I passed those sweet messages on to my Mom. It means a lot.

Siobhan, you have no idea how much I needed to hear that quote by MLK. It helped me make an important decision I've been struggling with since Friday. I'm sure it's the right one. Thank you. You are an inspiration. I love this forum. Wonderful mentors.

#14 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:42 AM

I'm glad it helped. I have a friend who spent all of yesterday posting quotes from MLK on Facebook and he had found a lot I'd never heard and that was my favorite one.