MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Is This Cage Big Enough? Photos Attached...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 CaptainNapalm

CaptainNapalm

Adv Member

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 09:46 PM

Hello,

I currently have an 18"L x 18"W x 60"H cage for my 5 month old quaker parrot.  The photos illustrate the cage set up (threw one in there of my quaker also).  I can't decide if I should buy a bigger cage.  On weekdays, he comes out of his cage for about an hour in the morning, then he's in his cage from 8am until about 5pm while we're at work, then he comes out again for an hour or more in the afternoon/evening.  On weekends he gets a bit more out of cage time usually, about 3 hours on Saturdays and another 3 hours on Sundays.  He seems comfortable in his current cage and after being out for a while he doesn't resist going back in.  So should I bother with getting something bigger or do you guys think this set up will suffice given his current routine? Feel free to share your cage sizes also.  Thanks in advance for your input.

Attached Files

#2 Cindi&Jeriel

Cindi&Jeriel

Adv Member

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:11 PM

This is very similar to what we have for Ocho. His is 20x20x60. I think it is plenty large. He has plenty of room for toys and perches. Your cage top play area is WAY nicer than ours! I want my husband to do something like yours, it's wonderful!

We have toys toward the bottom of the cage and he likes to play down there, too. Especially wood pieces and blocks.

Edited by Cindi&Jeriel, 16 January 2014 - 10:12 PM.

#3 CaptainNapalm

CaptainNapalm

Adv Member

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:18 PM

This is very similar to what we have for Ocho. His is 20x20x60. I think it is plenty large. He has plenty of room for toys and perches. Your cage top play area is WAY nicer than ours! I want my husband to do something like yours, it's wonderful!

We have toys toward the bottom of the cage and he likes to play down there, too. Especially wood pieces and blocks.

Thanks for the feedback.  I just started putting some sticks  and other items on the bottom of his cage so hopefully he'll enjoy it like yours.  Yeah the play top area he really enjoys and the cages I see available that are larger (yet not overly excessive for our home) usually lack play top areas since they open up on top or are not available in white which is what I want.  

• Cindi&Jeriel likes this

#4 Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:55 PM

That cage looks super nice and the cage top play area is awesome! I don't see how he couldn't be happy in that!

• CaptainNapalm likes this

#5 CaptainNapalm

CaptainNapalm

Adv Member

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 07:38 AM

That cage looks super nice and the cage top play area is awesome! I don't see how he couldn't be happy in that!

Thanks, okay maybe I am a bit paranoid, I guess the size is okay, especially considering he does get out of cage play time often.

#6 Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 08:44 AM

The cage Mr P came with isnt as tall but it's wider. It's 25 x 25 and probably about 50" high. It has a dome type top that opens but since I now require Mr P. to step up when he comes out, I don't just open the cage doors and let him out (I know others will disagree with this but I feel it's best for him)

I work from home so Mr Piggy spends 90% of his waking hours either on a playstand next to my work desk or on my shoulder so I don't worry about the cage size as much. If I was gone for the better part of the day and he spent more time in it, I would probably buy him a bigger cage.

I absolutely love the play top on yours, I am sure he does too.

What is your little guy's name? I apologize if I missed it in another post!

• CaptainNapalm likes this

#7 CaptainNapalm

CaptainNapalm

Adv Member

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:20 AM

Hi Sharyn,
You're quite lucky to be working from home and having the luxury of being around mr piggy most of the time. My thinking is similar to yours in that if he's home alone for 7-8 hours he should at least have room to roam around. I'm still 50/50 if bigger cage is in the books. His name is HUGO. Thanks for your input.

#8 Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:32 AM

lol actually, one of the reasons I adopted Mr P was because I do work from home. I am alone most of the day and talk to myself constantly, I figured it would be nice to have someone to talk to and possibly someone that talked back ;)

I travel for work making it impractical to have a dog.

My son, who lives about 2 miles down the road in a condo is my designated bird sitter and part of the agreement was if I get a bird, he would take care of it while I was gone. Otherwise this wouldnt have worked out.

I owned parrots a long long long time ago so I already knew what good companions they make :)

Helloooo to Hugo :)