MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Always Preening My Hair Or Picking At My Face?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:28 AM

I know it is normal for a parrot to want to preen his human's hair but Mr P seems to do this excessively. As soon as I put him on my shoulder, he starts chewing on my hair or picking imaginary..things?...off my cheeks and ear.

So far he has been fairly gentle and has not bitten me  but sometimes he gets a little over zealous.

I don't mind this behaviour once in awhile but it seems as though EVERY time he is on my shoulder he does this.

Is this normal?

It  seems a bit excessive?

I am wondering if he is lacking in some mineral or something that he is trying to get from my skin?

#2 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 12:17 PM

No, he's just a frustrated cosmetologist and dermatologist. They all are. Even my starling does that, though she's not as enthusiastic as Clyde is. Clyde will sit on my hand and stretch his neck and pick up one foot (I think he's trying to stand on tiptoes) until I raise my hand up where he can get at my hair to fix it for me. He has very specific ideas about how I should arrange my  hair, and when I don't do it "right," he corrects it for me. 

• Sharyn and Mr Piggy likes this

#3 Cindi&Jeriel

Cindi&Jeriel

Adv Member

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 03:07 PM

Ocho also preens whenever he is on my or Jeriel's shoulder. If I wear my hair in a ponytail, he will leave it alone, but if I make a messy bun he will break my hair ties.ohmy.png He also preens faces and actually has pulled a couple of stray hairs. I am not a bearded lady, but I'm glad to know he will make sure I don't get out of control and become one. tongue.png lol

• Sharyn and Mr Piggy likes this

#4 LindeeV

LindeeV

Adv Member

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 05:38 PM

Ocho also preens whenever he is on my or Jeriel's shoulder. If I wear my hair in a ponytail, he will leave it alone, but if I make a messy bun he will break my hair ties.ohmy.png He also preens faces and actually has pulled a couple of stray hairs. I am not a bearded lady, but I'm glad to know he will make sure I don't get out of control and become one. tongue.png lol

Ha!

Louie has found a couple of "granny hairs" on my chin and actually has a fight with them. She'll scream, flap her wings, and generally cuss at them until she can get them out of my chin.

For some reason, my husband thinks this is hysterically funny.dry.png

• Cindi&Jeriel likes this

#5 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 08:08 PM

Clyde likes to pluck eyebrows. Clearly he feels my own efforts in this regard are inadequate.

#6 cnyguy

cnyguy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:45 PM

Parrots-- especially Quakers, it seems-- want their human companions to look their best, and will do whatever is necessary to make that possible. biggrin.png As a long-haired male, I usually wear a ponytail, which is unsatisfactory to Ralph. He will remove the pony elastics and rearrange my hair. I think he's aiming for dreadlocks, but I'm not quite sure. laugh.png Any eyebrow hairs that are a bit too long or stick up funny have to go. And apparently, the bridge of my nose is especially unsightly; he scrapes that with his beak every few days. Very appropriate in the recent holiday season, as I end up looking like that famous reindeer named Rudolph. laugh.png

#7 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 12:40 AM

Lindee, I also think that's hysterically funny. :)

Sharyn, you could call Mr.P's preening your cheek and ear a little excessive. I guess it's according to your QP's unique personality and where excessive is on his personal scale from one to ten. On Harry's scale surgically removing three moles from my neck was a ten. That happened the first couple of months she was with me. My mom and sister where very impressed with her precision. No need for a follow up. If there is no bloodshed I don't use a scale. Zeke has never bit me hard and has only nipped a couple of times when he gets excited, compared to Harry, he's a marshmallow. I think Mr. P. is doing remarkably well.
  • margee likes this

#8 Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 09:58 AM

lol thanks for all the replies, from the sounds of it, we are good to go :)

#9 Julianna

Julianna

Adv Member

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 02:57 PM

No, he's just a frustrated cosmetologist and dermatologist..... ha ha ha ha ha...that is soooooo funny.  You made my day.

#10 Chico14

Chico14

• New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 07:50 PM

My QP Chico loves to preen my hair. I guess it's his way of showing affection?

#11 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 08:11 PM

Clyde would also like to be a dental hygienist, but I draw the line at that. I have a very capable one already, thanks so much. I don't need a little feathered person doing her job for her.

#12 melz

melz

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 10:48 AM

My quaker parrots trys to get make freckles go away and nips at them when she sees them

#13 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 02:11 PM

Even though Ringo Starrling lives in a different room, they must be passing notes to one another, because recently she has become VERY interested in how I arrange my hair. Last night she spent a long time sitting on my ear (yes, you read that right) working furiously to make my hair do whatever it was she wanted it to do. I've had this hair all my life, and I can tell her (and Clyde) that it's going to do what IT wants and not what anyone else wants and they might as well save their strength. I learned long ago that it's a losing battle. 

#14 LindeeV

LindeeV

Adv Member

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 04:41 PM

Charlie and Oscar have learned that when I reach in to get their food and water dishes out of their cage, they can grab my glasses off the top of my head and throw them on the floor. They think that's QUITE funny.

Now they've also learned that they can yank several hairs out of my head at the same time and make me yelp. And a couple of times I've uttered a Bad Word. sad.png

They love it. They hover around the food dishes so when I'm putting fresh food and water back in, they're ready to pounce. It's dinner and a show!!! dry.png

#15 Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 07:56 PM

The question is, Lindee, have *they* started uttering the Bad Word?

#16 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 09:11 PM

Shah also doesnt like me to go out of the house if I am not looking my best.  Glasses are quickly thrown on the floor, eyelashes re-arranged (he has always done this), any unsightly lumps or bumps on my face have to be worked on until they are removed.  No tears are to be released from my eyes otherwise he has to clean them up.  Now, if only he could do the massaging part of the facial, I would be happy.

#17 LindeeV

LindeeV

Adv Member

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 04:22 PM

The question is, Lindee, have *they* started uttering the Bad Word?

I'm surprised, but they haven't said the Bad Word, at least within my hearing.... but they have perfected an Evil Chuckle, which they do everytime they get me to yelp.....

• Cindi&Jeriel and Sharyn and Mr Piggy like this

#18 Bene_Gesserit

Bene_Gesserit

Adv Member

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 11:39 PM

THis is totally normal...they want to preen others in their 'flock.' So they'll do your hair (or remove anything like hairties,) or do your skin (and remove anything like pimples, warts, freckles,...thinking they are bugs) and it's up to us to keep training them as to what's acceptable and what's not. I usually 'shoo' my bird away from my skin or hair when she starts to get too vigorous about it.