MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Frosty And Fiona

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 05:22 PM

http://s791.photobuc...rosty and Fiona

In the photos Fiona and Frosty are still damp from their first bath. In one of the pics you can see Fiona's feathers are far from clean after one bath. There is also a shot of their buddy still at the pet store. We're working on finding a home for him.

This is a long rambling story, feel free to skip it and enjoy the cute photos of Harry's new flock members.

My husband stayed in the city to work this week-end so I spent yesterday getting into trouble with my mom. Both of us have spent months worrying about the horrible conditions in a pet store in a town close to us. What to do to help the animals has been a dilemma for several reasons. Friday we stopped by, hoping things were better for the owner and more importantly the pets. What we found was the worse conditions we've seen so far. There are two large parrots that have been there for months. Their health has declined alarmingly since we first saw them. The smaller parrot has lost all his tail feathers flailing around his cage when the larger parrot sits on it and harasses him. The entire store is filthy but the bird cages are really disgusting. After we left the store my supply of sympathy for the young owner ran completely out. My sympathy was for the animals alone. Mom and I went home and called every authority we could think of and sent photos. We were repeatedly told in a nice way that if the birds have available food, water and shelter there isn't a lot they can do. However, two agencies promised to send an officer to have a look. We made another several calls to different organizations to find a way to help the two large parrots. We're working on that!!! The next morning we made a few more calls and found people willing to donate cages. We found two that people were happy to give us if we would pick them up. We didn't want the birds to wait while we shopped for appropriate cages. One friend surprised us with a fantastic cage in new condition with all the accessories. he refused to let us buy it and told us we were welcome to it, it had been taking up space in his garage long enough. We took the cages to my house and sanitized everything and left them to dry. We went back to the store yesterday and picked out three of the most desperate birds that we could immediately help. It was awful walking around the store thinking, which of these birds have the least chance of surviving long enough to be adopted?

My mom found a little cockatiel in a small ferret cage on a shelf in the back of the store. Not a single thing in the cage but the bird and two tiny dirty cups of food and water in the filth on the floor of the cage. The little cockatiel has been in that same cage clinging to the side for months. All her tail feathers are broken about halfway up the shaft and spread out like a fan. When Mom told the store owner she wanted to buy the bird he told her it was in the back because it bites. He then removed it from the cage and threw it on the floor when it bit him. Mom shoved him out of her way and picked up the little girl. She didn't bite at all. She didn't bite later when we put her in her new digs either, but she ate and ate and ate. We took out the grate and put a soft towel on the floor. She's clung to the cage for so long she walks hunched over on her new perches and has lost her balance and fallen off a couple of times. She started playing with toys after being in her cage for half an hour. Mom hasn't named her yet and no photos, but when she does I'll post them and tell you her name.

I had a harder time deciding. I settled on the two smallest american budgies in a flight cage with twenty-six other parakeets. The tiniest two were getting picked on by every one else, maybe because they where white or maybe just because they are smaller. The owner told me his shoulder was blown out and I would have to catch them myself, he gave me a cardboard box to put them in and walked away. Strange considering he handed me his electric bill and asked if I would pay it the day before, a real professional. The macaw runs loose in the store and I caught her about to bite into an electric wire stretched across the floor. She followed me around trying to get me to pick her up. I caught the keets and when I shoved the male into the cardboard box I told him to stay FROSTY. I decided it was a perfect name. I chose Fiona for the girl because it means, white, fair, and beautiful. When I took the box to the counter to pay I barely avoided assault charges. I learned to control my temper years ago but...The owners little female Goffin's cockatoo has a tree stand beside the counter, she had climbed down onto a shelf, he yelled at her and then to my horror he hit her with his open palm twice, before he could strike her a third time I grabbed his wrist with my right hand and held it. Through clenched teeth, I asked him, "Do you really want to do this or do you want me to pay you? There where customers in the store and he wanted my money. We had a short quiet chat and he thanked me for my patience and I left the store without handcuffs.

The budgies had been pooped on by the other birds so much their feathers were more green than white. They looked like dirty snow or wadded tissue. My emergency cage needs to be upgraded yesterday, but I apologized to the little guys and promised to do better. It is a round cage and setting it up was like putting me in a round room and telling me to pee in the corner. Some more experienced members of this forum keep emergency cages set up for situations like these. I learned my lesson and I intend to set up an emergency cage of my own very soon. I took the twins into a steamy bathroom with me and misted them with aloe juice. The smell was awful, just like the smell in the store. I let them stay in the warm room until they dried a little and took them to meet Harry. I took the cage over and held it so she could get a good look. Harry surprises but never disappoints. In her sweetest girl voice she said, Be A Good Boy? I said yes. She stared at them for a minute and said, Pretty, Pretty Bird! No matter how big the flock grows or how the members behave it will always be Harry's flock!

Edited by Allee, 02 February 2014 - 05:26 PM.

• Cindi&Jeriel likes this

#2 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 05:34 PM

The poor birds.  I hope the "authorities" do something about this shop.  Fiona and Frosty look lovely.  We all work really hard with our animals to give them the best and then you come across people like this.  You have showed remarkable patience - I would have been in gaol by now.

• Allee likes this

#3 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 05:44 PM

Thanks Jan, my mom was upset as it was. If she hadn't been with me I might not have behaved so well.

I'm not sure how I posted this twice and I don't know how to remove the other one.

#4 cnyguy

cnyguy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 08:11 PM

Welcome to Frosty and Fiona! smile.png I'm sure Harry is delighted to have two new students to teach Proper Parrot Behavior and Attitude.  biggrin.png

I'm sure that Dani will come to your rescue and delete that second post for you. smile.png

Edited by cnyguy, 02 February 2014 - 08:12 PM.

• Allee likes this

#5 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 09:18 PM

Bless you and your mom, Allee! I have TWO spare cages, and one is all set up and ready to go and it wouldn't take five minutes to fix up the other if necessary. You just never know, once you become a Crazy Bird Person, when you might need one.

Edited by Siobhan, 02 February 2014 - 09:21 PM.

• Allee likes this

#6 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 10:56 PM

Gary, you're right, I'm sure Harry can't wait to start instructing the budgies, but she is going to have to wait for a while. These two little guys have been bullied enough. They were very quiet today. They ate and napped and had a bath but that was all. I can't wait until they feel comfortable enough to argue with the big birds. Like I mentioned I had to catch them, someone handed me a fish net that I didn't want. I caught them and both of them bit the day lights out of me. I loved them for it, I was glad they had enough attitude left to bite. :) :)

Siobhan, Thank you. :) I know you would have done the same. These two little parakeets were getting slammed in that cage. All the birds in the flight cage were competing for food and perch space. Frosty and Fiona were the smallest in the cage, they didn't stand a chance. I think they are probably about six months old.

Fixing up an emergency cage is at the top of my list of things to do.

Edited by Allee, 02 February 2014 - 11:03 PM.

#7 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:32 AM

A budgie who doesn't have the spirit left to bite is far gone, indeed. They're little spitfires and if they've reached the point they're not even willing to make that effort, it's probably too late or darned close to it. But they're tough little birds, as you've seen with Sparkle, and they look pretty good, so I'll bet Frosty and Fiona will be just fine now. Can't wait to hear about the tiel. Poor baby. She'll probably be all right, too, now that your mom's got her.

#8 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 03:00 PM

They are soooo adorable! Fiona has claimed a swing with mirrors and bells for her own. They haven't started fussing yet. They are really calm but showing a lot of curiosity. One of them has black eyes and a blue/ purple cere, I'm guessing he is male and calling him Frosty. The other is a little smaller, she is an albino with pink eyes and a mostly cream colored cere with a pale blue tint, I'm calling her Fiona. Harry is making all her animal noises to entertain the new kids. :) She's also shouting, Cmere at them. I bet she'd like that! :(

#9 msdani1981

msdani1981

Love My Pets :)

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 03:20 PM

OMG, how in the world did I miss this?????  I deleted the other thread for you, then went straight back to Auction Horses (the auction was yesterday, so we're busy over there)! 

What a WONDERFUL, sad, sweet story.  And I love the names! :)  I'm sure they will blossom in your (and your mom's) care, and will have the best of everything. :)

• Allee likes this

#10 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 03:49 PM

I bet that Harry really does want them to come here ohmy.png  She is one tough quaker.  Will be interesting to see how she goes with them - especially in the area of teaching them to speak sad.png

• Allee likes this

#11 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 05:19 PM

It's possible, though not likely, that they could all be friends. I wouldn't bet the rent, but Clyde and Benjy hang out and other than the occasional bad-tempered lunge, they get along. Even Jade puts up with Benjy most of the time now, and when she gets fed up, yanks his tail to adjust his attitude. 

I'm betting you're right about their sexes, though with budgie mutations, you can't be absolutely positive. Typical green and blue ones are easy. Sometimes with the other colors, it's a crapshoot. If Frosty has a definitely blue cere, he is almost certainly a boy, though. 

• Allee likes this

#12 LindeeV

LindeeV

Adv Member

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 05:29 PM

Just catching up on the weekend events. Aww.....good for you, Allee!!! You and Mom have saved three more feathered friends. You're both my heros!!!

Bless you both, and bless the little birds too!!! smile.png

• Allee likes this

#13 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:12 PM

Awwww! Thanks everybody. :) I hope we are right about the sexes. It really doesn't matter to me at all as long as they like each other. I've read that two males will not get along but I've also read that a lot of them are good friends. I may be wrong but I think Frosty and Fiona are enjoying sitting still. They seem completely relaxed.

I don't know how the Quakers will treat them. Zeke squawked at them from the top of his cage. Harry was an angel today and didn't even attempt to investigate. That means nothing though, it was two full weeks before she launched an attack on poor Zeke. She has never gotten close to a piece of millet spray until today. I put a piece on top of her cage and she ate it like it had always been her favorite. I'll never get her figured out.

#14 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:26 PM

http://s791.photobuc.../library/Shadow

This is Moms little cockatiel. Her name is Shadow. We think she is about six months old. She's been in the store for four months. She spent that long in the ferret cage with no perches so she clung to the sides of the cage. She does the same thing in her new cage. You can see her flayed tail in one of the photos. I'm pretty sure that's the only reason she's falling off her perches. Other than that she looks perfectly healthy. I think in a couple of weeks she will be running upright. She seems delighted with her new cage and is very interested in everything already. Spike and Sparkle didn't give her a very warm welcome. They've been fussing at her all day. :)
  • Cindi&Jeriel likes this

#15 msdani1981

msdani1981

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:28 PM

Allee, can you please change the privacy setting on Shadow's photo album?  It's currently set to private, so we can't see! smile.png

Edited by msdani1981, 03 February 2014 - 09:28 PM.

#16 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 10:28 PM

Thank you Dani! I changed the setting. Hopefully that worked. Sorry about that.

#17 msdani1981

msdani1981

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:05 PM

Awww, she's SO cute! :) It might take some time for her muscles to stretch out after spending four months clinging to her cage bars, but I bet she'll be just fine. :)

#18 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:17 PM

Tiels are pretty tough, too. She's very pretty. And I should think she'd be very happy in that nice clean cage with toys and your mom seeing to her every need. If Sparkle is being too mean, just explain to her that Shadow needed rescuing, too, and remind her of how much happier she is in her new home, and tell her she should understand and be nice.