MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

What Cage Rage? Lol

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Gypsie&Tango

Gypsie&Tango

Adv Member

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 04:56 AM

So I don't know how but Gypsie and Tango are over their cage rage and aggression. here is a photo my husband took of me cleaning their cage - at that point I was inside the cage giving it a good scrub!

Attached File  download_20140211_1157411.jpg   59.2KB   0 downloads

• Cindi&Jeriel and Sharyn and Mr Piggy like this

#2 Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 10:46 AM

We conquered cage aggression too, but we worked on it :)

• Cindi&Jeriel likes this

#3 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 04:22 PM

Jade was horrible about that for a long time and my arms looked like I'd gone a few rounds with an angry shark every time I cleaned but she finally got over it. She still doesn't like me messing with her toys, but cleaning isn't a problem anymore. Sometimes she wants to play tug of war with the rag when I'm wiping it down, but that's just playing. I just doggedly kept cleaning every day in spite of her and she finally surrendered.

#4 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 12:01 AM

I'm glad to hear Gypsie and Tango got past their cage rage. Cute photo.

I pick my battles with Harry but I couldn't give in on the cage cleaning. I went through the same thing Siobhan described until finally Harry understood cage cleaning is going to happen daily wether she approves or not.

#5 CaptainNapalm

CaptainNapalm

Adv Member

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 12:02 AM

Maybe I just got lucky or it will come later as he gets older (he's only 7 months) but my quaker parrot never ever displayed any form of cage aggression behaviour whatsoever.  I could be rotating his cage, moving his cage, putting my hands in his cage with cleaning supplies while he's in it, even gently shoving him out of the way to clean in the spot he's sitting in, he'll either watch me curiously clean or just continue playing with his toys or doing what he was doing.

#6 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 05:46 PM

Every Quaker doesn't do it. Clyde doesn't do it unless I mess with his favorite toy. I can do whatever I want to his cage and his other toys. Benjy the budgie, Johnny and Greta, who are tiels, Ringo Starrling and Maggie, my pidge, don't care what I do, either. Jade and my tiel Freddie are the only cage aggressive ones, and Freddie is even aggressive about OTHER birds' cages. LOL He objects to my cleaning anybody's cage, but he usually doesn't interfere unless he's sitting on the cage I'm cleaning. If he's sitting somewhere else, he doesn't come running over to put a stop to it. 

#7 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:49 PM

Shah has always had happy hutch rage when he is hormonal.  The last few weeks I notice he is developing cage rage.  Not good.

#8 cnyguy

cnyguy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:14 PM

Ralph doesn't much care what I touch inside his cage except the food dish. I can usually expect at least a warning nip when I take it out or put it back. I haven't yet conviced Ralph that you're not supposed to bite the hand that feeds you. wacko.png

#9 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:12 PM

That doesn't seem to be a lesson some Quakers learn easily. LOL Jade will take the smallest tidbit from my fingers ever so gently and say "thank you!" while Clyde will yank it out of my hand, throw it, squawk and chomp me. For GIVING HIM A TREAT. wacko.png Good grief, what would he do if I did something MEAN to him???? blink.png

#10 Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:41 PM

Hmmm, Mr Piggy's cage aggression was so bad when I got him that I couldn't even put my hand  inside his cage without him going after me, let alone try to touch anything. I normally do the cage cleaning and changing /cleaning of the food and water dishes while he is out on his playstand. He watches me with a keen eye, probably to make sure I'm not eating his food? I have not tried touching his food dishes when he is IN the cage, I believe I'd like to keep my fingers attached to my hands just a little while longer.

We will work on this eventually as well, right now I am happy that he will step up onto my hand from any perch inside his cage, even the one all the way in the back without trying to take chunks out of my finger.

#11 cnyguy

cnyguy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:44 PM

I guess I spoke too soon up there. Today when I was cleaning Ralph's cage, he objected to something I was doing and climbed over to me and bit my ear. blink.png

#12 Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:21 PM

ouch! Hope He didnt draw blood! :( That is definately something I have learned from my short time with Mr. P. They are fickle! One day whatever you are doing is fine and they love it, the next day, they lunge at you for it. I know that Mr P. is a much nicer bird when the sun is out! When it's gloomy or overcast outside, he is not in the best of moods. Is that weird?

#13 cnyguy

cnyguy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 09:26 PM

I'm happy to say that I did not shed any blood yesterday. smile.png

I suppose it's natural for a parrot to be in a better mood when the weather is better, much as it is for most of us humans.

• Sharyn and Mr Piggy likes this