MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Another Mbs Issue, Already

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 01:02 AM

I went to visit my mom today. She wants me to take the little cockatiel with the broken tail that she got from a pet store three weeks ago. My mom's Yorkie had to be taken to the vet yesterday. He is so stressed he is scratching his hair out. Mom doesn't want to put the bird in a room alone so she wants me to take her before she gets even more attached. It makes me want to cry that Mom can't keep her but I don't know a better solution so I will go and pick her up tomorrow.

#2 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 03:48 AM

When are you changing your name to Siobhan?

#3 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:41 AM

LOL. No flock is complete with a tiel, that's what I think.

#4 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 09:17 AM

Thank you for the compliment, Jan! :) Siobhan's been my hero for a while.

She's such a sweet little bird. But she's a girl cockatiel. Will she be hormonal and lay eggs like Greta? I won't know how to take care of her. I'm glad I've read all the cockatiel posts. It will come in handy. I sure hope this is okay with Harry. :(

#5 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:44 PM

She might not, because you don't have a couple of rowdy boys to stir her up. Jade has never once laid an egg and neither did my female budgie, though Benjy begged her daily to be his One True Love. If she does, however, just make sure she has access to a calcium block (Greta gnaws on hers several times a day) and plenty of food, including seeds, because the extra fat is important when they're expending so much energy laying and keeping eggs warm and only eating a couple of times a day. And it probably won't be okay with Harry, but you'll simply have to explain to her that she has to suck it up. LOL

#6 LindeeV

LindeeV

Adv Member

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 06:58 PM

This brings you up to....six birds? Is that right? You're growing your flock quite nicely, and quickly too! biggrin.png

What's this new bird's name? Does she have one yet? You might ask Harry to name her, that might make Harry feel more inclined to accept another bird.

#7 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 09:03 PM

I wouldn't ask Clyde to name any new critters because when he sees a new critter, his reaction is "oh, (expletive deleted)." That would be everyone's new name if it were up to him. I suspect Harry has a similar attitude. LOL

#8 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:19 PM

As always, thanks for the great advice, Siobhan. That makes me feel better. I had a cockatiel when I was in high school and kept him when I got married but that was a long time ago and he was an only bird and had no noticeable hormonal problems. This little girl is a real sweetheart. She eats pellets and vegetables and plays with her toys and she is very friendly. After three weeks she is still having a lot of trouble walking instead of climbing and clinging to the sides of her cage. Half her tail is gone and the rest is a mess, maybe that effects her balance too. My mom gave her a little basketball goal with a ball attached to a chain, it's her favorite toy and helps to distract her from clinging to the cage. It's a strange problem. Mom really hated to give her up but her neurotic Yorkie calmed down immediately when I took her away.

Lindee, you're so right. I have six birds after only ten months. :) I think I'll stop at six. The Brady Bunch instead of Eight Is Enough! Or I can cheat and add my two furred kids and say that's eight Fids. I didn't really mean to do this.

No Harry definitely does not get to choose a name for anyone, especially a new guy. Mom was calling the tiel Shadow. I don't want to hurt Mom's feelings, but the name doesn't fit the bird IMO. She's only been called Shadow for three weeks and she cant talk yet, maybe she could have two names. I was thinking Sweet Pea. My husband loves the parakeets and changed their names from Frosty and Fiona to Merry and Pippin, they remind him of hobbits.

Poor little Benjy. What happened to his One True Love?

#9 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 12:01 PM

Bonnie had a stroke. She was only 3. She and Benjy were in their cage and chirping and everything was fine, and I left the room for a few minutes, and came back to find her unable to use her leg and wing on one side. I moved her to a hospital cage and she couldn't perch and couldn't use that foot. I looked her over to see if she had injured herself somehow, and found nothing, and the only conclusion I could come to was a stroke. She got a little better the next day, but then went downhill and was gone in a couple of days. Benjy and the others visited her in the cage and were very concerned, and they knew when she died. They all watched me take her little body out and wrap her up and take her outside to bury her next to the bird feeder. They were very quiet and subdued for a couple of days after that. But then Benjy latched onto Clyde as his hero and me as his One True Love, and he's okay now. The two budgies shared a big flight cage because they weren't tame, but Benjy decided overnight to become tame and now he's sort of wearying in his insistence that he must sit on my hand ALL THE TIME. He follows me around and lands on my head or, occasionally, my ear, if I'm busy and don't hold up my hand for him, and buzzes around me constantly until I do hold up my hand. He's like a blue mosquito. I gave the big cage to Ringo, because she uses every square inch of it and Benjy never went below the top half. That made Benjy mad for a few days but now he's used to his smaller cage and, honestly, he only sleeps in it. He spends all day every day following Clyde or me around and getting on Jade's nerves.

I considered getting a second budgie to keep Benjy company, but he seemed happy enough to hang out with the big birds, and Jade can be such a bully. The other birds know that and avoid her (except Benjy), but a new budgie might have to learn the hard way and I decided not to get another one. I love budgies, but someday when Benjy leaves us, he'll be the last one as long as Jade is around. And since she's only 9, that's going to be a while.

#10 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 10:59 PM

What a sad sweet story, thanks for sharing it. I'm sorry about Bonnie, but I'm glad Benjy adjusted and insisted on being a part of the big bird's flock. And insisted that you be his One True Love. Does Clyde treat him better than Jade does?

I'm not brave enough to let Merry and Pippin out at the same time as the Quakers yet. I want to but I'm a coward. I think they would be fine with Zeke and Sweet Pea but I'm afraid crazy Harry would go after them. Merry and Pippin have been here three weeks and they are still so quiet. They haven't started playing much or making very much noise. They stay side by side constantly. They look a lot better though. :)

#11 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 07:51 AM

Clyde gets grumpy because Benjy CAN be annoying, but he just lunges at him to make him go away. Benjy comes right back, though. LOL Mostly Clyde pretends he doesn't see him, and Benjy hops around and chirps and sidles up to him and sidles away and sidles back. They share the treat cup and Clyde even lets Benjy sit on his boing, and NOBODY is allowed to sit on Clyde's boing. Last night before bed, Clyde was having a snack and Benjy was in his cage with him. If it's close to bedtime and I haven't tucked them in yet, Benjy will often get in Clyde's cage and settle down like he thinks he's going to sleep there. Frankly, I think Clyde would be okay with it, but just in case, I have to dig Benjy out and stuff him into his own cage, which makes him mad.