MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Help! Is My House Too Hot For My Quaker?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Savannah&Pablo

Savannah&Pablo

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 03:24 AM

Pablo and I have recently moved to the city and the house we are living in has ZERO Insulation. It's the peak of summer right now here in Australia and inside the house (half of the roof is tin) It get's to at least 40-45*C on a really hot day. His cage is right near the only open window with bars, and we are un able to leave any others open - as they are all too easy to climb into and the area isn't safe enough to risk a break and enter :( The house get's really stuffy! usually i don't leave him alone in the house - but i'll be doing a day trip on sunday to visit my parents and nobody will be here to keep the house open. I'm really worried about leaving him in these temperatures. I've bought him a fan that i place in front of the cage but it really just blows hot air around. I've never seen signs of discomfort - but he loves jumping in the cold sink bath when I get home every day and cooling off. I can feel his hot little feet on my hand. He's lived in Australia his whole life and was bred here .. do you think he has adjusted and i don't need to worry? I also can't tell if he is over weight - because i just call him fat and chubby all the time and have no reference to another quaker.

I don't want to come home and find my baby dead on Sunday night! Every website said they can withstand heats up to 85 F if their "lean" which is only about 32C (that is an average day here at the moment .. minimum!!!) Anyone else know how their birds cope in Australian Summer? I'm too scared to leave him out side in case somebody steals him and his brand new cage - or some snotty little kid just opens it and let's him out! 

Is it worth risking? Maybe it's better to dead lock his cage and chain it to our front deck?

I don't know what to do :( Any advice would be greatly apreciated.

#2 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 03:47 AM

Hi, I live in Sydney and we have had some really hot days this summer.  I actually close the place up - pull blinds down, etc.  However, we do have air conditioning which does make a slight difference.  I really don't know what to tell you as I often panic when I am at work and the temperature outside becomes really hot - I worry constantly about the birds.  If you are driving to your parents' place, can you take him with you?  A tin roof is a worry if you aren't insulated.  I guess you could just leave a fan on.  I hope others might have some more info to help you.

#3 Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:05 AM

This brings up a good question. What temp IS too hot? I live in FL and we get pretty hot here over the summer as well. I normally turn my AC off when I leave for long periods of time but with Mr Piggy here, I wont be doing that. However, knowing what the warmest setting I can leave it on would help a lot!

#4 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:38 AM

I'm in the U.S., where of course it's winter now, but we don't have air conditioning and in summer when it gets hot -- and we've had some brutally hot spells, temps in the high 90s or even hovering around 100 F -- I make sure the birds have access to their bathtubs all the time, put a fan in their room (not blowing ON them, by the way) and keep their water changed several times a day so it's cool and clean. Give your bird something like a baking dish or a Tupperware storage container and put a couple of inches of water in it and leave it for him so he can have a bath any time he wants one. My birds don't seem nearly as bothered by those hot days as *I* am. LOL