MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Concerned New Quaker Owner

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Evets

Evets

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 11:09 PM

Hi all

Two days ago we acquired a beautiful 10 week old Quaker. We are waiting on DNA results for the sex, so for today I will refer to our Quaker  as "it".My wife and I have never owned parrots before so we lack a bit of experience. I am a little concerned of our birds behaviour. It's very quiet, does not use any of it's toys  in the cage and just mainly sits on its perch and preens itself. It is eating fairly well  (seed mix and fresh fruit) but I have not seen it drink water yet. It came out of its cage yesterday for a while but not today so far.I leave the gage door open and wait for it to make the decision to come out. We regularly talk to it. In general it looks very timid and scared. I have not seen any sign of the Quaker curiosity and silliness that they are known for. Is this normal? Is there something that I should be doing to make it feel at ease? Any advise will be very helpful!

Thanks

Steve

#2 cnyguy

cnyguy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 08:25 PM

Welcome! smile.png Your new friend is behaving normally for a parrot just brought into a new home. It takes time for a  parrot to adjust to new people and surroundings, so in the beginning, you won't see much of your Quaker's true personality. Give him/her all the time necessary to settle in and get comfortable. Something that helps is to sit near your parrot's cage and talk softly to him/her. You can read to your parrot and sing to him/her too, so your QP will get used to you and the sound of your voice. Continue to open the cage door to offer your parrot a chance to come out; you might put a hanging perch under the door on the outside of the cage so he/she will have a comfortable place to sit while still being able to quickly go back inside the cage.

#3 cindylou_38

cindylou_38

Rose

• Members
  • 5,152 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 01:05 PM

Steve , welcome to the board. Just keep doing the things you are doing. Leave the cage door open, talk to him, heck sing to him he will love it.

#4 QuakerFriend

QuakerFriend

Adv Member

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 03:06 PM

After he settles in, I would think about switching to pellets instead of a seed mix. It's healthier for them :)

#5 Bene_Gesserit

Bene_Gesserit

Adv Member

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 01:31 PM

I had to 'teach' my parrot how to play with her toys; her previous owners never gave her toys.  I would take little plastic links and we'd play 'tug of war,' then when she went back to her cage I'd hang the links back up.  Don't forget your baby is very little and might not even know what those toys are/how to use them yet.

#6 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 03:29 PM

I agree with the others that being quiet and shy is perfectly normal for the first few days or even weeks in a new home. She's trying to figure out what's safe and what's a threat, and where she fits in and what the heck happened right now. If she doesn't eat much, at least while you're looking, that's normal, too. Don't push her, and let her adjust at her own pace. Music is a good icebreaker, though and even if you don't sing well, sing and play the radio. Find a classical station or soft rock like the Carpenters or 1960s classic rock. Mine seem to like that best. 

#7 equineRtist

equineRtist

equineRtist

• Members
  • 4,375 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 11:47 PM

I agree too...just give "it" time. Sit near the cage and talk to "it".  Let's face it, being brought to a new place with new people is scary for a bird (or most animals too) . Your new bird may be wondering if you are Colonel Sanders in disguise.

• murph likes this