MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

New Quaker :) And Plans For Next Week...

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 QuakerFriend

QuakerFriend

Adv Member

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:12 PM

"Bob" says hi. Very creative name lol, not by me. But I guess it works, we don't really know his/her real name. 

Bob was found outside on Valentine's Day. If anyone was in Wisconsin this winter it was frequently below freezing and sometimes lower. My school closed 3 times because it was THAT COLD.  He has been staying at the pet store.

After 2 weeks we received no call from anyone missing their bird. I looked on craigslist, ebay classifieds, on here, searched google, nothing that matched him.

So now he is up for sale.

Sadly he is stuck in a parakeet cage. The pet store has room, I guess, but don't exactly take the BEST care of them. It is a pet store I guess. I come to see him every other day and take him out for an hour or more on weekends.

He is so very friendly, not even cage aggressive (but only to me hehe). He screams whenever I leave and he cant see me. He ADORES head scratches, and will mumble little things. I could swear he knows what "come here" means. He used it twice in context. He says something that sounds like "quaker" in the most adorable little voice. He is trying his very hardest to learn to give kisses. He will follow me around too and if I am gone he will glide down to the ground trying to find me.

However, Tony (guy who works in reptiles) has teased him, when he was in the back room and every time he walked by. He is now TERRIFIED of Tony and some of the other guys there. He will also get a little mad when other people try to pet him while I'm around especially if he's on my shoulder.

Sadly, I can't socialize him very well because of that. Kari (who mostly is the "bird lady") never liked the last quaker after he bit her twice (excepting cage aggression of course). And apparently she loves quakers o.0 This little guys bites me every day (not a BITE, just like a "hey I don't wanna get off your shoulder")

Ahem. *done with pet store rant*

My mom is hating on him since he got scared when she brought her hand up or something and bit her. Literally there was that => •• much blood. So she's like I'm scared he's gonna bite me... bleh. Not exactly helping my case to get a bird sometime.

I have been thinking about doing a bird thing for spring break if anyone read the macaw posts, I never got a reply.

They have a cockatiel that has been brought in by a man who had him caged 12 years, never trimmed wings or nails...the cage was absolutely FILTHY. It was the kids bird, and I can understand he didn't know but REALLY. The poor baby would scream whenever someone walked in the room up until a short while ago.

I will be helping out the little guy to become more friendly.

Also a lady donated ALL her breeder birds so there are tons of baby parakeets and if some are ready I will be able to hand feed.

So much stuff xD thanks for reading if you actually read all of it :P

Will post pics of everyone soon :)

• Cindi&Jeriel likes this

#2 QuakerFriend

QuakerFriend

Adv Member

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 11:44 AM

Sadly they ran out of bird formula so I was not able to get the budgies. However, Chong the tiel is making AMAZING progress! Today is his first day, he came home last night with me. As I write he is wandering around my bedroom. He came out since I leave the door open at all times. He is now sitting by me on the floor and playing with the string of my bird treat pouch. He is not food motivated at all so I dont know what to motivate with. He is still scared of hands, but seems to be quite interested in me. Its amazing he is out especially since he was caged for such a long time with no attention. He is still quite underweight, would taking some seeds and dipping them in peanut butter be ok? I can see his keelbone I think its called.

Also, my dad is picking up a great deal on cages for me. A person moving gave me a setup originally 75 for 35. Super happy about that! Its a 20 gallon tank with a 2 level topper, some houses, toys, food, wood chips, and a wheel.

Bob had a great time yesterday hanging out with me as I rushed about gathering bird stuff. He is learning to sit on my hand as well, instead of just clambering up my shoulder. He also attempted kisses as well and in front of my mom! She was like, I'll just leave you guys alone now xD

Happy to actually get something GOOD on craigslist! I think my ratties will be very happy today :)

Edited by QuakerFriend, 12 April 2014 - 11:47 AM.

#3 QuakerFriend

QuakerFriend

Adv Member

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 06:04 PM

Pictures!

This is Bob :)

And the last ones are of "psycho" the tiel and the new rattie setup.

I figured out Psycho would only eat if the food was high since he doesn't like being low. I used the same principle to get him sitting on my shoulder :) He's gorging himself now.

Lol is anyone actually reading this?

Attached Files

Edited by QuakerFriend, 13 April 2014 - 06:17 PM.

• Cindi&Jeriel likes this

#4 cnyguy

cnyguy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 07:17 PM

I'm reading it. Couldn't think of any comments to post though, so I just kept quiet. laugh.png

Greetings to Bob and Psycho.

#5 Gypsie&Tango

Gypsie&Tango

Adv Member

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 08:52 PM

Bob is beautiful :-) I love your rat set up! Well done :-)

#6 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:02 AM

Welcome Bob and Phsyco! :) I've been reading too. Bob is a very cute guy and Phsyco is much prettier than her name implies. :) I'm a little confused though, are you temporarily fostering Bob and Psycho or have you adopted them?

Your rat set up is very nice. :)

#7 QuakerFriend

QuakerFriend

Adv Member

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 05:21 PM

Bob is at the pet store. He's very bonded to me so I try to go see him as often as possible. He hates everyone else Dx

Psycho is at my house for spring break until he/she is a little friendlier and puts on weight. Then she will be going up for sale.

Today I got a new rat! He came in a while back and I would play with him. He has the cutest, fattest little face. I saw a sign that said "jumbo feeder rats, feed first" so I flipped and brought him home lol. 

I think sometime when I have $200 I will just take Bob. No, mom that isn't a bird squawking, it's just...uh...it's just I dropped something and screamed, yeah...xP

Psycho seems to like my face. She rubs her head wanting my face to pet her, amd I'm like "I don't think that will work!" haha. She's still scared of hands though but not as much. I'm working on getting her to step up on a towel.

#8 QuakerFriend

QuakerFriend

Adv Member

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:02 PM

Here I'll just drop this off...

Any name suggestions?

Attached Files

• Allee likes this

#9 QuakerFriend

QuakerFriend

Adv Member

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 09:22 AM

Psycho is going to the vet! From the beginning something just seemed OFF about her wings and when I trimmed them last night I notices bone seemed to be almost poking out in some places O.O 

*drops another $100 on a random animal*

I also will get her weight checked out and some suggestions on getting her to gain a few grams. Other than that I will just ask for her to be checked up...

I hope she's ok :(

#10 Cindi&Jeriel

Cindi&Jeriel

Adv Member

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 11:26 PM

Awww.... Good luck. Best wishes to Psycho!

#11 QuakerFriend

QuakerFriend

Adv Member

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 10:27 AM

She has been confirmed as a HE, and his wings are loose, where they're attached to the body. That's the best way I can describe it lol. Apparently there's not really anything to do about it. He's also underweight a little 80 grams, and they are running a fecal test to make sure it's not something else other than just needing to eat more. 

I also got some new pellets from zupreem from the vet and a bird training tip book sent via email :)

Waiting for the test results!

I also got $20 off since I was doing this by myself (the pet store will be finding out about the trip today...) which was really nice :D

But it still ended up being $100 lol.

#12 Gypsie&Tango

Gypsie&Tango

Adv Member

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 06:30 PM

Good on you and hope psycho gets better soon!