MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

New Cage For Mr P

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 01:49 PM

I have been cage shopping and found a decent one on craigs list but the bar spacing is 1".

Is that too wide for a quaker?

#2 LindeeV

LindeeV

Adv Member

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:20 PM

I've heard that 5/8" is the *preferred* size for Quakers, but I don't know if that means other sizes are inappropriate, or just not as preferred. Does the cage specify what kind of birds it's for?

#3 cnyguy

cnyguy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:46 PM

1" spacing is really not suitable for a smaller parrot like a Quaker-- best to stick with the recommended 5/8" spacing.

#4 Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:33 PM

As it turns out, the cage that I was looking at was sold before I was done researching this so it doesnt matter.  However, I will be trying to buy one at the bird show I'm attending in 2 weeks. I measured Mr P's current cage and his bar spacing is 1/2 inch and this is the cage that came with him when I adopted him. However, I measured from the outside of each bar so if we are talking 5/8" actual opening, that may be what this cage is. I should probably re-measure and count just the opening, and not include the actual circumference of the bars themselves.

I think the worry is that they would accidently (or maybe on purpose) try to squeeze their heads through the bar and get stuck.

Anyway, after measuring the bar space on Mr P's cage and thinking that 1 inch would be double that, I can see where that would be too big.

They didnt say in the ad what kind of bird was in there originally.

• Cindi&Jeriel likes this

#5 cnyguy

cnyguy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 09:23 PM

The 1" spacing is OK for Amazons, Greys, Eclectus and parrots in that size range. My old Amazon George lived in a cage with 1" bar spacing, and that was fine for him.

It is thought that the wider bar spacing could possibly trap the head of one of the smaller parrots. Somebirdie the size of a Parrotlet can completely squeeze through 1" spaced bars; I rescued one at a local pet store who did just that, and almost got chomped by a Blue and Gold Macaw whose cage he landed on. blink.png

Keep looking and be patient, and you'll find the right cage at the right price for Mr. P. smile.png I'd tell you to suggest to Mr. P. that he be patient too, but patience is not something that Quakers are good at. laugh.png

• Cindi&Jeriel and Sharyn and Mr Piggy like this

#6 Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 07:02 AM

lol, I think I am more worried about getting Mr P a new cage than he is! He spends the entire day out of his cage so uses it basically just to sleep. However, there are times when I go out of town overnight to visit my daughter and her family. I feel incredibly guilty when I go, forcing him to spend that much time in his cage. The new cage is for my piece of mind, more than for him!

His cage came with him when I adopted him. The parrot rescue is very very good about ensuring the proper sized cage goes with the bird. I had planned on buying him a new cage when I first got him but I didnt want to overwhelm him with a move to a new house AND a move to a new cage. He has basically taken over my house so I'm pretty sure he is ready for a new cage. When I look around my house, I see his "stuff" in almost every room, toys, treats, baskets being used as playstands, feathers, food pellets, etc. Yep, his adjustment period to my home is over, time to see about a new cage :)

I know exactly what I want, I just need to find it at a better price than what I am seeing! Hoping that this bird show in Orlando in 2 weeks will be a place I can find what I'm looking for AND what I can afford. I am taking CASH with me, I know a lot of these vendors will give you a better price when you can offer cash. I have a list a mile long of stuff I want to get him, normally the prices at these shows are pretty decent.

#7 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 09:17 AM

I'm excited for you and Mr. P. I can't wait to see photos of all his new things after your shopping trip. We saved hundreds of dollars on a centurion cage at a bird show. Take your tape measure for bar spacing though, some of the enthusiastic vendors will tell you 1 inch bar spacing is fine for quakers, but it isn't. Zeke and Harry play on Popeye's (not while he's in it) cage and they could easily get their heads through the bars. The only problem I had was finding a large cage with smaller bar spacing, but they are out there and they will probably have a good selection at the show.

I know what you mean about confining Mr.P. to his cage. I hate locking my guys up even though they have huge cages. Now that spring is here, my birds have formed an alliance and when I tell them it's time to, 'Go Back', I usually have a battle. Amazingly, Harry is the only one that willingly returns to her cage with no complaints. :)

#8 Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 09:49 AM

Mr P knows when I am going to put him back early. I have no idea how he knows. He is normally ok with bedtime but he gets ticked off when he has to go back early. I mean, I don't know how he knows in advance that I'm about to put him back. I am guessing I give off some sort of signal that I am unaware of or my body language suggests that I am feeling badly about putting him back. I don't feel badly about putting him in his cage at bedtime, only when it's earlier.

Yesterday, when I tried to put him back to go to the grocery store, he climbed up my arm and played the "hide behind my neck" game. He hasnt done this in a LONG time, he is normally good about going in.

Thank you for the tip, I had planned on bringing my tape measure both for the bars and the actual size of the cage. I don't have the best eye when it comes to that, I don't want to wind up with a cage where the actual inside room is the same space that he has now, because the stand makes it look bigger. I was a bit worried about finding a large cage with small bars. Most of the cages I have looked at online when doing some shopping had 3/4" spacing for the size cage that I want.

This show is supposed to be huge, Mr P's foster mom even told me I should wait and go to the show for all the expensive stuff. I also want to pick up a tabletop playstand that actually  has food dishes on it. The baskets are nice but I can't leave him on them for any real amt of time since they dont have dishes. I also would like to pick up a smaller rolling stand for the outside porch so I don't have to lug his huge heavy stand out there when I mist him off, or when I want him to be outside enjoying the sunshine (porch is totally screened)

yeah, the list goes on and on but I am really hoping to get the more expensive things there, for less money. LOL I'll be happy to post pics of my "loot" after I get it. The show is 4/27. I'll probably have questions about getting Mr P used to his new cage too. I am planning on setting up the new one next to the old one and letting him play on the outside of it (it will hopefully have one of the playstands on the top) and just get him used to seeing it before actually putting him in it.

#9 Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 07:06 AM

I"m actually looking at a flight cage. Bar spacing is fine. Cage is pretty big. It doesnt come with a playtop or seed catchers (bells and whistles) but it is on a wheeling stand and has a shelf underneath. It's a Prevue F040 or F050, depending on what kind of price I can get.

Any input on to whether there is a problem using a flight cage instead of the pretty ones with all the bells and whistles? The flight cages are 2x as much room for 1/2 the price!

#10 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 09:15 AM

Mr. P. is a lucky boy to have a screened porch! He is going to have such fun with his new things. I agree you should set up the new cage beside the old one until you see how Mr. P. reacts. Maybe attach some perches to the outside of the new cage so he can see an easy way in, leave the doors open and let him explore when he's ready. Also a few of his familiar toys and perches in the new cage will make it seem more like home. And knowing Mr. P, when he sees you put a familiar food dish in his new place, he will probably move right in.

I am familiar with the prevue flight cages, they are spacier. I think some of our members have them for their quakers. They have some advantages, they obviously have more space for half the price as you said. Some things you may want to consider though, the flight cages aren't as sturdy and it's more difficult to attach perches, toys, and food dishes to the bars. It's good to inspect it closely while thinking about daily cleaning. And access to the food dishes. I love my parakeet cage but it is a pain to clean because of the way it's made. That may not be a problem at all since Mr. P. is out of his cage so much and you have one cage to clean. The flight cage will be easier to move around than the heavier ones. You may have to consider locks if Mr. P. is a natural escape artist. A friend of mine has three of those cages for her smaller parrots, but her parrots aren't quakers. She says the flight cages are harder to clean and maintain, but she has a lot of cages. She had to get a different cage for a conure because he started chewing the smaller bars in his flight cage. The lighter cages are easier to knock over as well.

I know it sounds silly but when I brought home my cage from the bird show, I was astounded at how big it was. It looked big in the warehouse, but it looked enormous when we got it set up inside. I get inside it to clean. You might want to measure the space you are going to put your cage in just to give you an idea. Just some things to think about. :)
  • Sharyn and Mr Piggy likes this

#11 Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 10:36 AM

All very valid points, Allee, and things to consider!

I did measure the space, the new cage would be taller than the old one so a few of the pictures I have hanging on the wall where Mr P's cage is now will have to be moved (yes, I am going to re-arrange my house to accomodate the bird).

I was wondering the ease of which attaching perches or toys or whatever that actually latch to the bars are and I will definately check that out when I see the cage in person. I know that Prevue makes pretty good stuff so hopefully the bars will be ok. I did already look at the bar spacing of the cage I'm looking at and it's the same as what Mr P has now, which is fine.

I normally do a thorough cage cleaning once a week. The good part about living in Florida is I take the cage outside and hose it off, then disinfect/clean, then hose it again so as long as I can reach inside it everywhere that will be ok.

Currently, I have the food dish doors in Mr P's cage closed permanently with wire ties since I don't use them. He has a nightly ritual after I put him to bed for the night of going around to each door, latch and even the latches on the dome top to ensure that they are still locked so escape is definately something he will attempt.

The only time Mr P spends large amounts of time in his cage is when I am gone overnight to visit my grandson, but that would certainly be the time I really don't want him to escape!!!!

I will definately keep all this in mind when I go to the bird show! I am so excited about going, wish it was this weekend, even though I'm having my family over for Easter this Sunday. Is that bad to be more excited about the bird show than cooking dinner for my family? LOL

• Allee likes this

#12 Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 11:34 AM

meant to add, that yes, putting food in, on or even near the new cage will help with the adjustment tremendously :)

heck even putting his empty dishes in the cage will prob. convince him to go in and check it out

• Allee likes this

#13 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:45 PM

Lol, Sharyn, so far I have moved my studio to the very back of the house so the fumes can't reach the birds. I've also turned my formal dining room with bay windows into an aviary and moved my china hutch and antique china from the dining room to the kitchen so Popeye's cage could stay in the room with the smaller birds where he prefers to be. That's just the big stuff I've done to accommodate the birds.

Cooking for your family can wait. Birdshows are a priority! Have fun!!!
  • Sharyn and Mr Piggy likes this

#14 Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:57 PM

Oh, if the birdshow was happening this weekend, I'd be going for sure! Unfort it's only a one day thing..or maybe that's a good thing :)