MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Long Drive To A Small Birdshow.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 08:18 AM

Saturday my mom and I drove deep into Texas Hill Country to a small birdmart. I was hoping to find a foraging tree and a cage with a playtop. The town we traveled to was only sixty miles from San Antonio, so we thought it would be a bigger event. There were no large cages and no foraging trees. Harry has a very large cage and she loves it, I wanted one that was a little easier to keep clean.

Good thing there were no cages or trees. There was a booth with the cutest bird safe handmade toys. The couple selling the toys were super nice. I went a little nuts. The chain pet stores in my area don't carry a lot of bird toys and the ones they do carry are nothing to get excited about. I couldn't stop. I bought several toys for everybody. The man with the toy booth also makes the huge foraging trees I was looking for but didn't have any at this show. He will be at a show in Dallas soon and he will have trees there. :) I found two super cute table top play stands to put on top of Zeke's cage for the quakers and the cockatiel to share. I also found a seed skirt and two happy huts I just couldn't resist. Zeke is not getting a happy hut, he can't be trusted with it!!!

While I was making friends and spending money with the toy makers, my mom was rescuing a lovebird and five desperate parakeets. Hey I tried, there was no stopping her, even reminding her the last bird she rescued lives with me, didn't help. It was another roughly three hour drive to get back home and for those of you haven't taken a drive through the Texas Hill Country, it's not quite as lovely and picturesque as some folks would have you believe. Coming home with Mom's new buddies was more like a drive through the twilight zone. I had to help mom transfer her little guys to their new cages and by the time I got home it was well past birdie bed time. It was the first time they've ever been alone that long and I was a mess worrying about them. Sure enough, they were furious. They didn't care if I was the Easter bunny, Father Christmas, or Mother Nature herself, they hated me. There were two exceptions, Meri and Pippin were delighted to see me, bless them, although I'm not sure they were aware I was missing in the first place. The bigger birds pouted through breakfast yesterday without speaking and while I was cleaning cages and adding all the new stuff, Popeye seized one of the quaker's play stands for his own. Like Mom and her birds, he couldn't be stopped, he took possession of the stand without a thought for the birds it was intended for, it's his! Zeke and Sweet Pea pretended I was invisible and ignored the toys completely. Harry as usual, had her own opinions. She watched me rearrange her cage, bobbing her head and saying, yeah, okay, yeah yeah. She ran right inside her new happy hut and checked it out, top to bottom still saying, okay. Their dad is bringing them a new supply of their favorite foraging mix that isn't sold locally, so hopefully things will be back to normal soon. :)

Crazy bird ladies should never go to birdshows with other crazy bird ladies, especially those related to you.
  • Cindi&Jeriel and Sharyn and Mr Piggy like this

#2 Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 08:38 AM

LOL which is EXACTLY why I am dragging my boyfriend with me next weekend. No telling what I'd come back with if I went alone. I actually tried to talk him out of coming with me at one point so I could *accidently* bring something live home but he steadfastly refuses to let me go by myself which is a good thing!

Good luck to your "mom's" new additions, let us know when they become yours :)

• Connie_Coco, Allee and Cindi&Jeriel like this

#3 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:12 AM

Actually, maybe it's better to attend bird fairs with another crazy bird lady. LOL The last one I went to, I took an equally crazy friend along and while we managed to come home without more birds, it was mostly because she had to get back by a certain time to get to work. If we'd had the leisure to spend more time at the show, we would have probably both come home with birds.

• Allee likes this

#4 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:20 AM

ROFL! She better not! So far her dog doesn't seem to care that the new birds are there but that could be because they are quarantined and he can't see them. I can't really blame her too much, the parakeets were in a minnow trap taped together with duct tape, the top and bottom of the cage had metal plates wired to the cage. One very old female was in the cage with four young males, the female laid an egg on the way home. I'm amazed at the progress Mom's made with Sparkle, the little starved, plucked girl, so I managed to keep my mouth shut. Hopefully her Yorkie had a personal grudge against the cockatiel and won't be offended by the smaller birds. :)

Edited by Allee, 22 April 2014 - 09:24 AM.

#5 Oteyspeople

Oteyspeople

Adv Member

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 03:49 PM

Ah, yes, God bless duct tape. Where would we be without it?

Sounds like she needs to name that older female parakeet "Cougar." tongue.png

I've never even heard of a bird show around here. Maybe Roanoke or parts further north. As for the toys, I've seen some really interesting ones on Etsy. Been thinking about setting up a shop whenever I get some time.

Is that fella going to make your tree from mesquite? That would be pretty interesting to look at.

As for Texas Hill Country, I am more than well acquainted. I got my favorite gardening hat at Dooley's in Fredericksburg.
Daddy was born near Cotulla, we were stationed in San Angelo & boy, do I remember the giant cross in Junction. Lots of cousins in San Antonio, even had a relative die at the Alamo. My sister lives in Austin (and yes, she is weird), & one of my daughters lives in Houston. I'm even descended from several members of the Old One Hundred original settlers Santa Ana conned into becoming a buffer between the Comanche & the Mexican settlers.

One of my grandsons asked me what eternity was, & I told him it was driving across Texas. I've had several people second that opinion.

• Allee likes this

#6 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:25 AM

I have been to some great bird shows in the Dallas Ft. Worth area. The one I went to last weekend didn't compare. :(

I've never been a fan of road trips and that's a shame because in this part of Texas just about every trip is a road trip. We order a lot of bird supplies. Fredericksburg is a pretty town, and Cooper's barbecue is worth a drive.
Your post cracked me up, I can tell you're a long time resident.

I was going to build my own foraging tree out of mesquite but then I decided there was no safe way to sanitize a whole tree, so I trashed the project. The guy I met at the bird show uses manzanita wood. :)