MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Flight Suit Or Harness Question. I Feel Bad If I Do, And Bad If I Don't...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 zuznit

zuznit

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 01:53 PM

How many of you use a flight suit or harness? I've been harness training penguin for a month maybe with the help of an animal trainer. It's very very slow but I'm making some progress. I could just stick it on penguin and take him outside on a leash... I've done it once before. My problem is that i can feel and see him clearly not enjoying wearing the suit or harness. And I'm not experienced at handling him or grabbing him because i never do that at home . Iso the one time i put the suit on him i was pretty clumsy. 'm a big fan of positive reinforcement as opposed to forcing an animal into an uncomfortable situation. So i have a moral issue with thefflight suit really. It's not NECESSARY for him to wear it. He can go outside in his carrier. Would you make your bird wear the suit until he gets used to it, or give up of he absolutely hated it?

#2 cnyguy

cnyguy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 08:24 PM

I would just take Penguin out in the carrier, which is what I do with Ralph. I've never tried a harness or flight suit because I know that Ralph wouldn't like them at all, and I don't want to force him to wear one, since it isn't really essential. smile.png 

#3 fiddlerpig

fiddlerpig

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 08:59 PM

Have you seen this video?
It seems to work for him.

#4 zuznit

zuznit

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 06:00 AM

Thanks guys! 

yeah I think my heart´s not in it cause I feel it´s not that essential. I jumped on the harness bandwagon but to be honest a carrier works great for us.

#5 cnyguy

cnyguy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 07:01 PM

If you're both happy with the carrier, than stick with it. smile.png Some parrots willingly accept the harness, some can become accustomed to it, and some never do. I think Ralph-- and maybe Penguin-- fall into the last group.

#6 zuznit

zuznit

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 06:51 AM

Right! Penguin is not very touchy feely i think being touched by stuff bothers him. I see how much fun it is to do flight training and how zero fun it is to harness train and that says it all really. I'm waiting for my pak o bird to arrive!