MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

New Quaker Parent Here, What Does This Mean? Is He Trying To Bite?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Lilo2014

Lilo2014

• New Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 05:14 PM

We got a quaker about a week ago so were still getting used to him and him to us. But I was wondering what it means when he does this. I don't know how to describe it other than he looks like he wants to bite. I want to know if it means he's mad so I don't do it again!  Here's a clip: smile.png https://www.youtube....h?v=p2-5gUEdOTE

#2 cnyguy

cnyguy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 06:58 PM

He did lunge at your finger at the beginning of the video clip, as if preparing to attack. Later, he seemed to be following the motion of your finger and may have thought you were playing a game with him. After only a week, your QP isn't any more  sure of what to expect from you than you are of him. smile.png Keep working on helping him to settle in and get used to you and his new home. Sit near his cage and talk softly to him-- that's a good way for him to become familiar with you and the sound of your voice. Offer him treats by hand now and then too, so he'll see that hands aren't so bad after all.

#3 Lilo2014

Lilo2014

• New Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 11:01 PM

He does that quite often though. Sometimes if I just put my hand near the cage he'll bob his head back and forth at me with his mouth open. It kind of funny but I'm not sure how to read him. I don't know if he's playing or he's trying to get on my finger or bite. Hopefully as time goes by I'll be able to understand him :)

#4 cnyguy

cnyguy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 07:51 PM

It takes time for our Quakers to train us properly-- eventually, you'll get to better understand what your parrot is telling you. smile.png But Quakers are full of surprises too-- just when you think you have a QP figured out, they'll spring something new on you. laugh.png