MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Hello! It's Been A Looooooong Time.......

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 equineRtist

equineRtist

equineRtist

• Members
  • 4,375 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 09:04 PM

It's been way beyond forever since I have been here. I have been one busy bee, but getting too old to be busy and it looks like I am about to slow down and have some extra time on my hands. I have been in a photography group and truly enjoyed it, but I think I am going to keep the photography but drop the group completely, so I'll try to drop in a little more often.

I still have 3 of the same Fids I had plus a few new ones. You can see in my sig that I still have Bama, BO and Kiwi. I've had the blue roan horse about 3 years and Lucy for about the same. NOW I have a new bird...a parrotlet! ADORABLE and so much fun!

BUT, my concern is with Kiwi. I have never had a problem bringing a bird through any health issues, but I do now. A little over a year ago, Kiwi got so she couldn't eat ANY kind of people food except cheese crackers, corn flakes or Cheerios. If she takes TWO bites of people food, she flops into a seizure. I have to pick her up, wrap her and hold her close to me to warm her. In about 3 minutes, she is fine...up and going as usual, but if I didn't grab her, I think she would flop all over the bottom of the cage and flap herself to death.

Any suggestions??? 

Edited by equineRtist, 28 April 2014 - 09:05 PM.

• Allee likes this

#2 Casey's Mom

Casey's Mom

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,358 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 08:34 AM

Hi Jo! Poor Kiwi, I have no idea what would cause those seizures, guess you are just avoiding people food. What did the vet say?  Parrolets are fun, we lost our 13 year old budgie last year and now Casey as two neat Shaft tail finches to listen to. They were rescues from my friends bird rescue.

#3 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 10:17 AM

All I can suggest is no people food. I can't imagine why she'd do that!

#4 equineRtist

equineRtist

equineRtist

• Members
  • 4,375 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 02:51 PM

Hi, girls! Nice to see you both. Yep, the vet has no idea WHY this would happen. No people food for poor Kiwi. She loved so many things. I'm at least happy that she can have Cheerios and corn flakes, She gets pretty excited over those.

I'm happy to see sweet little Casey  again and all Siobhan's lovelies!!!!  I hope you ladies and your families are doing well! HUGS!

#5 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 03:13 PM

Siobhan has a lot more lovelies than she did last time you were here, Jo. LOL Sit down and get out your scorecard. Quakers: Clyde and Jade. Tiels: Freddie, Johnny and Greta. Budgie: Benjy. Pigeon: Maggie. Starling: Ringo. Three bettas: Wally, Marty and Pete. Two dogs: Jack and Gigi. Leopard gecko, Rex. Salamander: Sammie. Mystery snails: Simon and Marcus. Ramshorn snails: too many to name individually. Heck, too many to COUNT individually. LOL They are very, um, prolific. 

#6 cnyguy

cnyguy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 08:20 PM

Welcome back-- nice to see both you and Casey's Mom here again. smile.png

• Casey's Mom likes this

#7 Casey's Mom

Casey's Mom

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,358 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 08:56 PM

Thanks it's actually Casey's Mom's Mom, we sort of shared the account before (I played all the games with Connie)  but Casey's Mom is very busy these days with her family and in her own place where pets aren't allowed so Casey still gets to hang out with me and my busy house :)   

#8 Vikinggirl

Vikinggirl

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 09:55 PM

Hi, I have a Kiwi as well, I'm wondering if the seizures could be caused by a food allergy?, or maybe she is lacking some kind of enzyme for digesting. Hard to tell with birds, since they don't show typical allergy symptoms like hives or rashes.
  • Casey's Mom likes this

#9 equineRtist

equineRtist

equineRtist

• Members
  • 4,375 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 10:59 PM

Siobhan has a lot more lovelies than she did last time you were here, Jo. LOL Sit down and get out your scorecard. Quakers: Clyde and Jade. Tiels: Freddie, Johnny and Greta. Budgie: Benjy. Pigeon: Maggie. Starling: Ringo. Three bettas: Wally, Marty and Pete. Two dogs: Jack and Gigi. Leopard gecko, Rex. Salamander: Sammie. Mystery snails: Simon and Marcus. Ramshorn snails: too many to name individually. Heck, too many to COUNT individually. LOL They are very, um, prolific. 

Oh my gosh! That's a zoo! I just about fell over! LOL. What a happy time you must have. Hang in there!

Welcome back-- nice to see both you and Casey's Mom here again. smile.png

Thanks, I'm glad to be here and glad to see so many familiar faces. 

Thanks it's actually Casey's Mom's Mom, we sort of shared the account before (I played all the games with Connie)  but Casey's Mom is very busy these days with her family and in her own place where pets aren't allowed so Casey still gets to hang out with me and my busy house smile.png   

Hahahaha, I knew that was you! Thanks. Sure wish I could get back up your way. I loved it there and could live there in a heart beat!!!! Good to see you here. I sure miss the ones who are gone. 

Hi, I have a Kiwi as well, I'm wondering if the seizures could be caused by a food allergy?, or maybe she is lacking some kind of enzyme for digesting. Hard to tell with birds, since they don't show typical allergy symptoms like hives or rashes.

Hi, Viking girl. Love those Kiwi birdies. It could be allergies. I do give her plain yogurt and cottage cheese and add ACV to her water, but it doesn't seem to help. I quit trying at the risk of doing her more harm trying to figure what all she cannot have.

• Casey's Mom likes this

#10 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 12:33 AM

Hello equineRtist, you must have been here before I joined the forum. Welcome back, you have a beautiful group of Fids.

#11 equineRtist

equineRtist

equineRtist

• Members
  • 4,375 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 01:37 AM

Hello equineRtist, you must have been here before I joined the forum. Welcome back, you have a beautiful group of Fids.

Thank you so much Allee. You are too kind.

#12 cnyguy

cnyguy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:41 PM

Thanks it's actually Casey's Mom's Mom

Sorry about the misidentification-- but still happy you're here. smile.png

#13 Casey's Mom

Casey's Mom

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,358 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:01 PM

Sorry about the misidentification-- but still happy you're here. smile.png

No worries, it's hard to tell over a computer and we both used this account before, but it was mainly my daughter :)

#14 msdani1981

msdani1981

Love My Pets :)

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 08:22 PM

OMG, hi Jo!!!!  I'm soooooo excited to see you back!  And Casey's Mom's Mom, of course! LOL How the heck have you wonderful ladies been?????? 

Jo, I'm so sorry to hear about little Kiwi's troubles with people food, that's so unfortunate for her (and you!).  I think the allergy suggestion was a good one, but I really don't have a clue.

Welcome back, both of you!

• Casey's Mom likes this

#15 equineRtist

equineRtist

equineRtist

• Members
  • 4,375 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 08:30 PM

OMG, hi Jo!!!!  I'm soooooo excited to see you back!  And Casey's Mom's Mom, of course! LOL How the heck have you wonderful ladies been?????? 

Jo, I'm so sorry to hear about little Kiwi's troubles with people food, that's so unfortunate for her (and you!).  I think the allergy suggestion was a good one, but I really don't have a clue.

Welcome back, both of you!

Hi Dani...feels just like I was never gone...right at home again! Thank you. I hope you, Zach and all the critters are happy, healthy and so blessed!!!!