MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

New Owner Of An 11 Week Old...what Do Some Sounds Mean?

New Quaker

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jojoma

Jojoma

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 07:35 PM

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and new to owning a Quaker.  We lost our very intelligent, very social and lovable, Budgerigar ~ Fluffy, only after 8 years.  We became 'bird' people and knew we could not have another budgie, as Fluffy was one of a kind.  After our daughter turned us onto the Quaker, and after doing much research...we were getting ready to adopt.  My husband came home with an 11 week old young lad, who we have named 'Tequila'.  We got an appropriate cage and many toys, (some bequeathed from Fluffy), quite a few weeks ago, in preparation.  We are now going through, letting him rest in between, one on one time with each family member.  

My question is...

He's making different noises with different scenarios.  He made a repeated, kind of chortling, low cawing, sound.  Is that a regular, natural sound to associate with something?  Also, he is making a higher pitched 'chirp'...once in a while.  Seems fairly content.

We have his cage near a mirror and have let him look at himself, so he doesn't feel too lonely, being he was just removed from his sister.  I figure we could remove the mirror in a few days, so he can start to imprint on us.  Does that make sense?

#2 cnyguy

cnyguy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 07:47 PM

Welcome to you and Tequila! smile.png The "chirp" he makes sounds like a typical Quaker chirp-- letting you know he's there. Not sure about the other sound as you've described it.

Something that helps a parrot adjust to a new home and new people is to sit near his cage and talk softly to him (you can read to Tequila and sing to him too, if you want). Each family member can spend some time with Tequila doing that. It's a good way to get to know each other without putting any demands on the parrot. You can offer him a treat now and then too while you're sitting with him.

Different parrots react differently to mirrors; if Tequila likes the mirror, but isn't obsessed with it, you could leave it in place. It shouldn't interfere with his getting to know you and your family.

#3 Cindi&Jeriel

Cindi&Jeriel

Adv Member

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 11:19 PM

Welcome!
Does the low sound seem like growling or purring? Quakers do both. That little purr is one of my favorite sounds! wub.png

#4 Jojoma

Jojoma

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 08:50 AM

Thanks for the tips, CNY!  Tequila is really becoming comfy in our home.  I think our beloved, Fluffy, helped pave the way for us to really bond and understand birdie behaviour.   Being only 11 weeks old, too, and as a mommy of human kids, I realize just how much he has to nap, to recoup energy.  He seems to really be liking our 14 year old daughter and he also seems to already be developing a different relationship with each of us.  He is liking to sit on my shoulder and then nuzzle in behind my neck, under my hair.  He will sit there for quite a while and purr.  

He makes the 'chirp' when we call his name, so I think he really is starting to learn it.

He also has figured out how to climb up and out of the cage to sit on the top.  He also is practicing flying, although we make sure that he has only a short distance to go and make it easier for him to get from point A to point B.  His wings are clipped so he can't go to far.  

We have a more 'open concept' type of home, so we don't anticipate keeping his wings clipped, as we have always thought that a bird needs to fly.  I have crystals and other ornaments on windows, so there is a less chance of him flying into one and we would never let him be alone at home, outside of his cage.

I do believe that we and Tequila, are going to have a long and beautiful relationship...right into our old age...as we are now in our early 50's.

If there are any tips and trick and/or advisory suggestions, you can offer...that would be fantastic.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: New Quaker