MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Saying Something That I Didn't Teach Him!?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:34 PM

I actually say "here we go" to him and I didnt even realize it.

I play him a children's video of Old McDonald on you tube

Before the video plays, there is some ad which I can skip past after 4 secs.

Once I skip past it, the song loads and while it's loading I say to him, REady? Here we go!

So, I wonder if hearing me say Here we go, repeatedly, triggered the other "here" phrases?

lol who knows :)

Maybe they are both commercials!

• Cindi&Jeriel likes this

#22 Cindi&Jeriel

Cindi&Jeriel

Adv Member

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 08:18 AM

Sometimes it's not until Ocho says something that I realize how often we say it. For example, Get Up! to my son and Mama's coming!
I often tell Ocho when I hear Jeriel headed our way. He heard her outside the window the other day and just said it while in the middle of playing. It was pretty cute!

• Sharyn and Mr Piggy likes this

#23 Oteyspeople

Oteyspeople

Adv Member

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 12:58 PM

Aldo came with a few words, but also some strange muttering that sounds for all the world like a TV on low volumn. He usually makes these noises when he's in his sleeping corner. Hubby thinks it sounds like Furbish, but it's more like background TV to me. Both his people worked, and we also leave either the TV or radio on when we're gone.

The birds are all in our bedroom where they can see out our double front windows. Aldo alerts whenever he sees someone walking down the street or when the mailman comes into the yard. Not exactly an imitation bark--more like monkey screeching. No idea when those sounds came from.

Now that Lovey (the lovebird) has finally abandoned her nest, she's resumed her place at the window. We have a clear plastic feeder attached to the outside, so she will fly to the sill and call out for the outside birds. She gets very upset when they don't listen to her. So the quaker cussing starts--something she definitely learned from Otey.

It's really amazing what they learn from each other. While the quakers are more homebodies & tend to hang around their cages, Lovey likes to explore & will occasionally try to leave the bedroom. I saw her eyeballing the bookshelves in the hall the other day, and just said, "Lovey, get back here, little girl." Otey immediately chimed in with "Come on. Come on." Then Aldo started saying it too. All in context.

I'm just glad Aldo hasn't picked up the quaker cussing. He & Otey already do this loud squawk exchange every afternoon. More cussing would be too much to handle.

#24 Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 12:55 PM

So, one of the mysteries has been solved!

"Can you hear me" is actually "wanna yummy?" The reason I didnt get this right away is because when Mr P says just the word "yummy", he says it differently than when he says "want a yummy".

Today, as I was munching on a pretzel, Mr P is saying "wanna yummy" over and over. It finally hit me. He was so proud of me when I figured it out!

He said, with the pretzel in his mouth, GOOD BOY and burst out laughing

He was just tickled pink that his dumb human finally figured it out!

• Bene_Gesserit likes this

#25 LindeeV

LindeeV

Adv Member

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 04:29 PM

That's funny! He's been trying so hard to teach you language, and you're finally catching on!

And you're both eating petzels. Good for you!!! tongue.png

• Sharyn and Mr Piggy likes this

#26 Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 07:01 PM

I should've known it would be food related!

What threw me off was that when he says "yummy", he says it totally different

I am unsure if he thinks they are 2 different words both meaning treats or whether, when I taught him to say the word yummy (many many months ago) *I* said it different.

AND, in my defense, he actually says it "youwanna yummy". No wonder it took me so long to figure out!

Yeah, we both like pretzels, he dunks his in his water. I eat mine straight.

The best part, though, of the entire revelation was Mr P acting so excited I finally got it. It reminded me of when my children tied their shoes for the first time! LOL

• cnyguy likes this

#27 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 02:40 PM

I remember when i finally understood a phrase that Jade says regularly and burst out laughing (it involves salty language), she was tickled pink. She'd been trying to make me understand that phrase for YEARS. We are probably among the few homes with parrots where salty language is not a problem. My pastor never comes over (he sees more of me than he wants to already; I'm in two church musical groups) and we don't have kids, and we have fairly salty language ourselves. 

• Cindi&Jeriel likes this

#28 Bene_Gesserit

Bene_Gesserit

Adv Member

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 05:55 AM

Happy learned how to say "what's yer problem?" because I say it to my kids when they're being exasperating. I never realized how often I did it, or how she associates it with the feelings. Now she says it to me if I touch her toys....

• Cindi&Jeriel and Sharyn and Mr Piggy like this