The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Full Spectrum Light

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 10:02 PM

Has anybody else noticed a connection between a full spectrum light and crazy hormonal behavior? It's been rainy and gloomy here so I turned their "sun" on the last couple of days and tonight Clyde was trying to turn into Clydezilla on me. I got them put to bed before he turned completely, but I am not turning that light on tomorrow. I haven't been using it for a while now, because I've been able to open the curtains and let real sunshine in, and Clyde has behaved -- for him -- pretty well. Two days of full spectrum light and he goes wonky on me.

#2 Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:15 AM

Interesting. I've never used artificial light as Mr P's cage is in the brightest room of the house and he spends time outside almost daily on the porch (enclosed).

What I have found, however, is almost the opposite, as far as light is concerned. When it's gloomy and rainy for a few days, Mr P becomes SO GRUMPY I can barely handle him without getting chomped.

I wonder if the full spectrum light puts their breeding hormones into overdrive?

I was actually told by someone in the parrot rescue when the clocks changed this past spring and the days were longer to limit Mr P's daylight hours to 8 to reduce his hormonal behavior. Not sure if that worked or the hormones just went back to normal but it did seem like putting him to bed earlier calmed him down a bit.

#3 Bene_Gesserit

Adv Member

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 10:19 PM

I have noticed this, too.  I put Happy's cage in my back (screen) door so she can get sun.  THe vitamin D is apparently important to make changes in the oil on their feathers (which they then ingest while preening.)  This is when she gets her most hormonal, so to compensate, I put her to bed early and give her a fresh warm bath every morning.  It doesn't get rid of all the hormonal behaviours, but it does keep them down to 'reasonable' levels.